Profile for Amanda > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Crash (Book One)
Crash (Book One)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
Not sure why this ended up on my Kindle, probably because it was free but I was looking for Zombie themes and this appeared in the search options.

This is more of a novella than a full book and is told from the perspective of a rich banker at the time when the economy has crashed beyond all recognition and all concept of punishment for crimes has disappeared.

It is disturbing but not so much because of the world it is set in, it's more to do with the main agressor and his gang and that at the time of the complete collapse of society that there would be people so monumentally violent and physcotic. Of course there are some nasty and disturbed individuals out there and it makes you wonder if this is how they would end up if they had free reign - this is the reason the book got any stars at all.

The author doesn't write characters very well - there is nothing to attach you to them. I found I despised Chris immediately although did have some sympathy for the way he had to handle his son. The son annoyed me - he was written as a 9 year old but at the start he seemed to behave and talk much older than I would expect.

One of the gang considered to be a glimmer of hope was written as if the author was confused as to how he had to be developed (especially when you get to the epilogue).

I have downloaded Part 2, I want to see if a continuance of the story improves.

Prem-I-Air 18" (45CM) Air Circulator
Prem-I-Air 18" (45CM) Air Circulator
Offered by Sales Direct Online

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not really THAT good, 25 July 2014
Was looking forward to using this fan having read all the fantastic reviews. Have to say it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Yes, I concede that it is powerful and it has helped recently because of the very hot weather. The noise also doesn't bother me either.

Was hoping for the power to generate cool air and all it does is move the hot air around - I think I need to consider air con instead.

Its better than the cheap desk fans or uprights I have seen but I think its over priced.

Plus when it was delivered to work, it had no handle, had to get it on the train and the box is huge. A plastic handle as part of the packaging wouldn't have gone amiss!

Womens Old Navy Soft & Smooth Surf Swim Bikini Briefs / Bottom - Quick Dry (Size: L)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 25 July 2014
What a waste of time - took ages for them to arrive and the fit was about 3 sizes below the one advertised. You need to be TINY to get into these.

LZR-1143: Infection (Book One of the LZR-1143 Series)
LZR-1143: Infection (Book One of the LZR-1143 Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read and would recommend, 25 July 2014
Am actually liking this book - it was a free download so was a bit dubious but as I'm currently in a zombie phase of book reading then I thought it was worth a go. Have to say it really is quite good.

By their very nature, zombie plot lines are going to be extremely far fetched but the author manages to reign himself in and adds a few plot twists and character surprises along the way.

For the most part it is well written and the story flows quite well. In addition, the author connects the reader very well with the central characters which I find with some zombie based novels can be very difficult to achieve.

Am saying all this and I am only three quarters of the way through the book!

Would recommend this - have already downloaded books 2 and 3 and am looking forward to them.

The Second Reality
The Second Reality

2.0 out of 5 stars Really surprised at how bad this was, 14 Jun 2014
I loved Haywood's Undead series, seriously got addicted so when I saw this new title by this author and the good reviews then I couldn't resist. Very very disappointed. The characters are badly written, the premise seems to have been lifted straight from Inception (dreams within a dream etc) and I just didn't connect with it.

I was actually going to give up half way through but again I thought "give it ago, its got to get better". It didn't. Typically with him, the book was nearing its ending and I just knew that it was going to be left with a cliff hanger. I am not entirely sure whether I want to bother with continuing with any further books on this series.

I find Haywood does like to write his characters on the basis that they are all beautiful/handsome, super human, caring, brave etc - there are no normal "human" traits as such. This didn't bother me with the Undead books as they is humour present. This book has nothing to offset against these "perfect" characters.

I found it very self-indulgent and the author writes as if he wants to be one of the lead characters. The s3x scenes are bordering on what I think 50 shades would read like (never read that tripe, never want to) and the descriptions of abuse go on far too long and are completely unnecessary - personally I felt the author was trying too hard to shock and it came across as tiresome. There is such a thing as subtlety to draw the reader in but the author doesn't use it.

Some glimpses of promise (hence two stars review rather than one) but it needs an overhaul.

Wouldn't recommend this book and am sitting on the fence about whether to read any continuation - have a feeling if I do get the urge to find out what happens I will get to the end and find out he is planning a 3rd book, 4th book etc in this series and quite frankly there are better books out there to get stuck into.

Troop TRP0213 Small Messenger Bag
Troop TRP0213 Small Messenger Bag
Offered by Bonnies Bags

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Kindle Bag (Apparel)
Love this bag! Very sturdy, looks great and its actually has tons of space considering its size. Used it backbacking around Vietnam and then on a number of city breaks. Highly recommend.

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy

1.0 out of 5 stars A pity, 12 May 2014
Having loved the first Bridget Jones book, I was really looking forward to this later follow up. However, the humour is severely lacking and it is just an ode to self-pity. Clearly people who have already read this and know why there is a darker side to this book will appreciate there there has to be some element of sadness to it but it goes on and on. The people are not relatable or believable and Bridget is not remotely fun at any point. Its like reading a dire Mills and Boon. A shame.

6PC Reversible Complete Duvet Cover + Fitted Sheet Bedding Set Double Teal White
Offered by Homecare Furnishings UK Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 12 May 2014
Everything about this product is cheap. It may look the part on the website but the material is almost translucent as it is so thin and the feel of it is awful. You get what you pay for but I am sure with a bit more shopping around then something can be found at a similar price but with double the quality. Avoid.

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream (Modern Library)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheer madness, 12 May 2014
Really good book, very quick to read and absolutely mad! Two main characters go off to Vegas to cover two events (we understand they are a journalist and his "attorney") and end up consistently feeding themselves a variety of drugs. A trip and a half around 70s Vegas!

Crocs Women's Adrina Espresso/Bronze Flip Flops 11204-25M-413 3 UK,W5US
Crocs Women's Adrina Espresso/Bronze Flip Flops 11204-25M-413 3 UK,W5US

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these flip flops, 12 May 2014
Now I actually hate crocs, the clog like shoes are so supremely awful that there are no words. HOWEVER, these flip flops are awesome. I have them in black, pink and now espresso and I love them. Can walk in ages in the them, they fit comfortably and seem to be indestructible! They look stylish and I have worn each pair on holidays all over the world. Highly recommend.

DO NOT buy from the Croc site direct. Amazon is actually cheaper and quicker with the delivery. Make sure you go in to a Croc shop first and try them on and then buy the size you want from here. Am not paid by Amazon to endorse their site but I have had such a bad customer services experience with the Croc website direct that I will not use them again direct.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3