Profile for Mr. J. Fraser > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Fraser

Mr. J. Fraser (Kelso, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Turn Blue
Turn Blue
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album., 20 May 2014
This review is from: Turn Blue (Audio CD)
I've had this album on in the car non stop since I bought it on release day. Every track is great.

Now You See Me
Now You See Me
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Now You See Me (Blu-ray)
I can't think of anything positive to say about Now You See Me. In every aspect of film making it's horrendous. Above all the writing is atrocious. At it's best the story and dialogue is at the level of a mindless children's program. At it's worst it's borderline unwatchable. The cast all phone in their performances and quite frankly stink in this film. Jesse Eisenberg in particular is awful and wrongly cast. The score is terribly generic to the point of being comical. One hour in and I thought the film was average but the last 35/40 minutes are so stunningly bad that I was compelled to write this review giving it the worst possible rating.

Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 - Jet Black (PS4)
Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 - Jet Black (PS4)
Offered by DotWell Electronics
Price: 42.38

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable with good ergonomics but prone to breaking., 21 Feb 2014
The R2 trigger on my Dualshock 4 has broken. After a quick search online this appears to be a relatively common issue with this controller. When I opened it up to determine what the problem was, it was clear that the Dualshock 4 is manufactured to a low standard. With fairly light use the trigger's thin plastic hinge had snapped. This is obviously unacceptable and Sony needs to address it by producing a higher quality version.

The Dualshock 4 has good ergonomics and feels quite intuitive and comfortable to operate. Everyone appears to be unanimous in declaring it a good improvement on the Dualshock 3. The new concave analogue sticks and the L2/R2 triggers are the biggest improvements. So far the touch pad doesn't seem to have been utilized in any meaningful way, so it remains to be seen if that will amount to anything more than a gimmick.

I would advise keeping the receipt or proof of purchase because I think it's quite likely that the problem I have experienced will occur in most cases. From what I gather Sony are happy to replace any faulty controllers as long as they haven't been tampered with, so don't go opening it up. If you still have the receipt then the retailer from which you purchased it should give you a replacement.

Supersoaker
Supersoaker
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good tune., 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Supersoaker (MP3 Download)
Sounds like a bit of a return to what I liked about them before they started with all the Sex On Fire nonsense.

Heritage
Heritage
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds unfinished., 27 May 2013
This review is from: Heritage (MP3 Download)
I'd say this album is OK. It's a little simple for my taste. It's as though the artist didn't know how to turn a basic idea for a tune into a full track. So what's here is a bunch of very incomplete sounding songs. This is made worse by the way many of the tracks fade in at the start and fade out at the end, like he couldn't come up with a beginning or end. As an album I just don't think this holds up. Some of what's here does sound nice but overall it's quite boring.

Samsung UE40ES6710 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Smart TV with Built-in Wi-Fi - White (New for 2012)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best for the money., 30 April 2013
I look at as many critic reviews as I can for several TVs before buying. I'd narrowed it down to this TV (Samsung UE40ES6710) the Sony HX753 and the Panasonic ST50 plasma. Of those the Panasonic no doubt performs the best in all areas but will likely cost about 100 more than the Samsung as I write this. The Sony would also likely be a better performing set but generally cost about 150 more and was more or less unavailable when I was in the market. So I decided on this Samsung and I'm very happy with it.

When shopping for a 6 series Samsung the models that you'll see most will be the 6300, this and the 6800. This is 400Hz where as the 6300 is 200Hz. So this handles motion a bit better. Also I gather that the picture quality, particularly with regards to colours, is slightly better on the ES6710. The 6800 is the same as the 6710 but with a dual core processor for improved performance on the Smart TV apps. It does not affect the set's performance aside from that.

The points I look out for in reviews are a TV's performance with motion and the input lag when playing with a games console. Generally these aren't issues with Panasonic Plasmas but are common issues with LCDs. Fortunately the Samsung is probably above average in these areas. Certainly to my eye I saw nothing that stood out. It should be noted that when watching Blu-Rays, as they run at 24fps, motion blur isn't really a problem.

If this TV is in your price range then I say go for it. Soon they'll be out of stock and you'll have to go for a 2013 set, which will cost more. There's plenty of in depth reviews on line of these sets. If you can't find many of the 6710 then reviews of the 6800 should mostly apply. I'd recommend seeking out better settings such as these:
[...]

These settings work great for watching films.

California Rancher Oaky & Smoky BBQ Sauce - 270g
California Rancher Oaky & Smoky BBQ Sauce - 270g

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice., 5 Mar 2013
This tasted really smokey, savory and every so slightly tangy to me. Definitely much better than anything you'll get in your local supermarket. It's texture is fairly thick and slightly lumpy (not chunky though). This doesn't really taste like other sauces I've tried. Normally I prefer sweet sauces but this is a great exception. Totally unique and essential that bbq sauce lovers give it a try.

Toy Story Flight Control Buzz
Toy Story Flight Control Buzz
Offered by Inspiration Toys
Price: 44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My niece seems delighted with it., 5 Mar 2013
I got this as a gift for my three year old niece and she was very happy with it. I'm told it was her favorite gift. It's about a foot tall and seems to be very sturdy. There's a switch hidden at the back with three setting, demo mode, on and off. This Buzz has a lot of features including his laser and amusing karate shouts when you make him do a karate chop. He has a lot of different phrases and sounds though many of his phrases aren't lines from the films but relate more to this particular Buzz's flight control theme. There's a few of his well known lines in there though. While this is a deluxe Buzz toy (it actually says it's a deluxe toy on the box) it isn't meant to be a replica of Buzz as he is in the film. For that you might have to shell out a wee bit more.

Hama 3.5mm AluLine Coiled Cord Jack Plug Stereo Jack Plug
Hama 3.5mm AluLine Coiled Cord Jack Plug Stereo Jack Plug
Price: 10.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality., 5 Mar 2013
This cable looks and feels like a quality item. It's very sturdy and the sound quality I get with it is a noticeable improvement on the cheap cable I was using previously. It's quite stylish and smaller than it appears in the picture. The plugs fit nice and securely into the sockets on my phone, iPod and car. I'm very happy with it and it's perfect for use in the car.

Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story [DVD] [NTSC]
Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story [DVD] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars May not be a proper biopic but it's still a great movie., 11 Jun 2012
It's easy to dismiss this film due to it's inaccuracy. Don't think of this as a Bruce Lee biopic and you can enjoy it for the fine movie that it is. It's fun and very well acted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7