Profile for etf > Reviews

Content by etf

etf

Garmin Approach S1 Black GPS Golf Watch Rangefinder
Garmin Approach S1 Black GPS Golf Watch Rangefinder

1.0 out of 5 stars Garmin burying head in sand over faulty watch strap on S1, 31 July 2013
Garmin's customer complaints department advise me there are no known faults with the Garmin S1 approach watch strap. My strap broke after 17 months and I paid £159 for it. Can all these people be wrong?

I returned my Garmin watch to the shop today as the strap had broken and it is not replaceable as far as I can see

My biggest question mark for this piece is the durability of the watch itself. While it does appear to be as water resistant as possible and well built, the strap is the issue. I understand why Garmin had it built the way they did. It was all about making it as light as possible. But with so many buckle slot grooves, I cannot help but wonder how much wear and tear the strap can take. This would not be that big of a deal if the S1 did not appear to be all one piece construction.

noticed after about a year that my band is cracked and is not able to be worn. Has Garmin had issues with the bands breaking. I've used it about 14 times.

The strap is broken and it is an integral part of the watch. How do i get it replaced?
The strap has broken in several places through wear, so I've attached it to my golf bag. Still works well. Are the newer watches a tad sturdier? I'd like to buy a new one but I don't want to go through the same scenario. Any ideas?

I've had the S1 for 2 years. Two months ago the charging clip broke. Today the wrist strap ripped. Based on my experience I would not buy a Garmin product again.

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY... Nice functional watch but after 18 mths of little use my watch strap has ripped on 2 separate holes and is hanging on with selotape..

Poor Poor design to have the strap integral to the watch and so WEAK and susceptible to ripping..

I am not paying 61 pounds to get a new one as no doubt it will happen again..

So DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

Garmin Approach S1 GPS Golf Watch - Black
Garmin Approach S1 GPS Golf Watch - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap broke after only 17 months, 16 Feb. 2011
My initial post is shown below. Just after I purchased my watch I read a post by someone who pointed out a potential design flaw whereby if the strap were to break the unit became useless as it cannot be replaced. Sadly my strap broke after only 17 months and Garmin think that is acceptable. I disagree. This is not a £5 watch purchased from a market stall. I have therefore revised my initial rating to one star and would give it 0 stars if that was possible.

Initial post shown below

I like the idea of a combined watch/GPS which decreases the chance of me leaving it somewhere where I shouldn't. The product is easy to use and good value at £159 providing yardages to front, middle and back of the green. To be safe I suggest you re-charge the battery before each round as mine failed on it's second eighteen.

I play at St Pierre and was disappointed that where recent changes (last 2 years) have been made at a couple of the holes on the Old Course, these are not reflected in the yardages provided e.g. 8th green re-positioned. Even more disappointing for me is that St Pierre's second Mathern Course which is played by hundreds of visiting guests each year is not included at all. Garmin you really need to rectify this.

For people considering a purchase I recommend you proceed, but make sure your home course is covered.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 11:30 PM BST