Profile for Mr. R. J. Wyndham > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. Wyndham

Mr. R. J. Wyndham (Suffolk, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
CafePod Nespresso Compatible Arabica Colombia (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)
CafePod Nespresso Compatible Arabica Colombia (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pods)

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine, not a personal favourite for me., 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried these in parallel with some Carte Noire pods. The packaging is very similar - plastic pods with partly open top, individually sealed in an airtight package. The machine fully punctured the pod, and coffee flowed, just like official Nespresso pods.
This blend is quite a low roast, and has a mild and slightly "tea" flavour - as against full-on high roast espresso blend. This was using it as an espresso, rather than the (longer) lungo size. I generally like lower roast beans, but I do like a bit more umph than this pod gave. So down to individual preference, but preferred the Carte Noire "9" in my comparitive tasting. However for milder and longer coffee enthusiasts this might suit.

Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 9 Intense 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite of the Carte Noire offerings, 29 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the 3rd of the Carte Noire Espresso capsules that I have tried. The packaging is the same throughout the range, the plastic pods are individually packaged in an air tight bag. A coffee smell is apparent as soon as one tears open this bag - as the top of the pods are not totally sealed. I had no problems in putting the pods in my machine, and the pressure required to (further) puncture the top is not noticeably different from Nespresso pods.
The taste is down to individual preferences, I tried a "3", "7" & "9" in parallel. The "3" tasted like a lighter roast coffee, and the mildest; the "7" was a higher roast and a bit more fuller flavoured. "9" was fuller still, and seemed more chracterful to me, fruity or even a touch of chocolate - bit not the overly high roast one sometimes encounters. So their labelling system does seem accurate. I personally prefered the "9" and would happily buy more of these. My wife has a particular Nespresso favourite, which none of the Carte Noire pods displaces - although she is very happy to have the occasional non Nespresso pod.

NOCO G1100UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G1100UK Genius Smart Battery Charger

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed charger. Note this model will maintain a car battery, not charge up from dead., 25 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted a battery charger to maintain the battery of one of my cars, which is not used very regularly - particularly in winter. This model is designed to charge batteries up to 40 Ah (which is less than than most/all car batteries) but maintain batteries up to 150 Ah. Mine is 75 Ah, which is fine. Some maintainer chargers can be connected via the 12V socket (cigar lighter) but my socket is only connected with the ignition on, so I don't need a 12V socket plug - which is not supplied within charger.
The build quality if the charging unit and leads looks and feels very good. It also has a pair of eyelet terminals that can be fixed to the battery bolts - the socket on the end of these leads is securely covered with a rubber plug, which can be opened to plug in the charger connectors. So very convenient for quick and easy connections - and exactly what I wanted. The smart aspects of the charger mean that any silly errors of connecting the wrong way around won't screw anything up, and you could leave it on for extended periods without over-charging.
I will quibble about the instructions. Reading through these it states that the battery must be disconnected before connecting the charger. This is not satisfactory for a maintainer charger. I contacted Noco support, via their web site, and queried this. They did not bother to reply. Delving into their support pages they do contradict this, and say that it is not necessary to disconnect the battery first. So suggest any queries are resolved by looking at their web site, not the manual.
The charger seems to work fine, and pleased with the purchase.

Carte Noire Espresso No 3 Elegant 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g(Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 3 Elegant 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g(Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome additional option for Nespresso machine users, 6 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used these in my M100A machine, and they worked fine. They are plastic bodied and individually wrapped in an air-tight packet. So tear open this and insert in the normal way. They puncture without any additional pressure, as compared with Nespresso pods, and they produce coffee at about the same rate.
These No 3 pods are quite light tasting, but good flavour - not thin or wishy washy. I note that some supermarkets stock these, so that is a convenient way to get small quantities. I typically have one if these during the afternoon, and use my preferred Nespresso pods at other times.

Carte Noire Espresso No 7 Aromatique 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 7 Aromatique 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good alternative to Nespresso pods., 6 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The coffee tastes pretty good, so they are perfectly acceptable alternative - just a question of individual taste. As you would expect these are less strong than the highest rated Nespresso pods, but make a very decent espresso. My wife is pretty happy with them. I note that these are available from Some supermarkets, so you can buy them in smaller quantities. We use them for early morning cups and use our preferred official pods during the day.

Illy Monoarabica Brazilian Coffee Beans 250 g (Pack of 2)
Illy Monoarabica Brazilian Coffee Beans 250 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 2 July 2014
These beans grind very nicely for my espresso machine (better than many other beans), and have a great taste. Although these are more expensive than other beans I have used, I find that you use less for the same strength. After I queried the price as being higher than Waitrose, they have now dropped the price significantly. I also recommend the Ethiopian offering onthe same range.

Illy Monoarabica Ethiopian Coffee Beans 250 g (Pack of 2)
Illy Monoarabica Ethiopian Coffee Beans 250 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 2 July 2014
These beans grind very nicely for my espresso machine (better than many other beans), and have a great taste. Although these are more expensive than other beans I have used, I find that you use less for the same strength. After I queried the price as being higher than Waitrose, they have now dropped the price significantly. I also recommend the Brazilian offering onthe same range.

Colgate ProClinical Triple Clean Replacement Electric Toothbrush Heads (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, work well, 2 July 2014
Reasonable price and work well. Made me realise I should have changed the heads some time back.

Regatta Action II Men's Leisurewear Trouser - Lichen, Size 34 Inch Regular
Regatta Action II Men's Leisurewear Trouser - Lichen, Size 34 Inch Regular

5.0 out of 5 stars Look good, comfortable and secure pockets, 2 July 2014
I wanted a pair of lightweight trousers that had several zip pockets- so I can walk about freely when on holiday with wallet and phone secure in pockets.

These trousers worked very well,they are comfortable, look good and have many pockets.

Very pleased, and recommend highly.

Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Songs Of Leonard Cohen

3.0 out of 5 stars Downbeat stuff from a legend - my wife loves it, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Songs Of Leonard Cohen (Audio CD)
I'm not a great Cohen fan - prefer upbeat and happier music. However I know my wife loves him, so bought this as a surprise gift. It was very well received and she cooked me a great supper. So a win-win result. Actually I have to admit that the songs are well structured and do have much charm. Just not to be played if you are feeling down and don't want to be cheered up!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16