Profile for Mr. R. J. Wyndham > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. Wyndham

Mr. R. J. Wyndham (Suffolk, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Tivoli Audio PAL+ DAB/DAB+ Portable Radio - Red
Tivoli Audio PAL+ DAB/DAB+ Portable Radio - Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Good radio, some irritating design features, 29 Mar. 2015
My original PAL has given years of good service - and still working fine. Bought this to get DAB stations, and mostly use it in my shed or garage. The reception and sound quality are both good, and when used with the case is well protected for outside use. The controls are a little fiddly, as you need to get the right timing to ensure it registers your single or double press on the top button.
However when listening in the garage the battery went flat - no probs, I got the charger and plugged it in. However, unlike the original PAL you cannot listen to it whilst it is charging. Furthermore when I left it charging, several hours later I discovered that it does not charge when plugged in - unless you firstly switch the radio off. So when the battery goes flat, you must switch it off, plug it in, and find another radio to hear the end of the play. This seems to be a design feature, rather than a fault. Disappointingly, when I e-mailed Tivoli to see if this is how it should behave, they acknowledged receipt of the e-mail, but didn't bother to reply. We have a total of 3 Tivoli radios in our household, are unlikely to get a 4th as we have recently also bought a Roberts and a Pure radio (we are real radio enthusiasts!) which have comparable sound quality but without these irritating "design flaws".

Dusk® 30 Pin to Lightning Audio Adapter For iPhone 5 5S 5C Ipod Touch (One Year Manufactures Warranty)
Offered by SuffolkSuppliers

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and does the job., 19 Feb. 2015
This was inexpensive and worked well. My application was to convert the in-car (Audi Q3) connexion from old style to new Lightning. This was convenient as I can now easily switch between charging old style iPhone 3GS or new style iPhone 5. I could have bought a new connector from Audi - but that was considerably more expensive. The pin that plugs into the headphone socket gives a good level of stability to the connexion.

Sena Lusio leather pouch case For iphone 5 Black /Gray
Sena Lusio leather pouch case For iphone 5 Black /Gray
Offered by Sonvis

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this case, 4 Feb. 2015
The leather is soft and the pouch looks as good as I had hoped. It is a good fit, tight enough to not worry about it slipping out, but one can push it through from the bottom. The 2 little pockets can be very useful if you want to pop out without a full and bulky wallet, but just a phone and credit card.

kenable BT 4 Wire 431A Plug to 4 Wire Male Plug Telephone Cable Lead1m
kenable BT 4 Wire 431A Plug to 4 Wire Male Plug Telephone Cable Lead1m
Offered by kenable_ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine, if you are happy to adjust wiring to fix the "flipped" connections., 6 Dec. 2014
Cheap and works well - apart from the fact that the connections are reversed. In my case I just reversed the connections in the receiving socket, so no problem. (I.e. Connections 2,3,4,5 are connected to 5,4,3,2 respectively. 2 & 5 can be switched and still works. But 3 is normally the bell connection, so phone won't ring unless reversed in the socket connections)

Teach Yourself Visually Complete Mac Pro (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
Teach Yourself Visually Complete Mac Pro (Teach Yourself VISUALLY (Tech))
by Paul McFedries

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 17 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book after buying my first OS X machine - an iMac. I was pretty experienced with windows 7, and actually had got the hang of most tasks. But reading such a manual can trigger you finding out features new to you on either platform.

It is a thick volume, over 500 pages, and stuffed full of screen shots. It is task orientated from the really basic, e.g. Open a Web page in a Safari tab, to more advanced e.g. Setting up iCloud Synchronisation. This task approach I found useful and focussed on what one wants to do, rather than wordy general descriptions. However if you are experienced in Windows I think you will be able to do most things pretty quickly and can quickly do a browser search to find answers to specific queries. There is of course a new version of OS X since this book was published, so not worth buying this volume at the moment - but waiting for an update.

Insight Travel Map: Norway (Insight Travel Maps)
Insight Travel Map: Norway (Insight Travel Maps)

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and clear map, may not suit everyone, 3 Nov. 2014
This map is very clear, and shows a large area. However it is VERY big, and awkward to open out fully or fold to show relevant sections. So it's really a map for spreading out on the floor, rather than taking with you. In this context it is good, but not ideal for touring uses.

Handpresso Wild Hybrid Espresso Maker for Ground Coffee and Pods
Handpresso Wild Hybrid Espresso Maker for Ground Coffee and Pods
Offered by Moema Espresso

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent option for ultimate portability., 2 Nov. 2014
We are espresso enthusiasts! We have a coffee grinder and semi pro espresso machine, and a couple of small Nespresso machines around our house. We have a carry case for one of the Nespresso machines so we can pretty conveniently take this with us,when appropriate. However when visiting our Son in Norway, we needed something smaller to take with us. After investigating, this Handpresso device seemed to fill this need, and got good reviews.
It is certainly compact and packs easily with the custom case that I also bought.
It does work! I use the Aromo Bounce pods, and have not, and see no need to grind and tamp, or buy ground coffee and tamp.
I do get some true crema and also some "coffee froth" with these pods. The result is pretty good - recognisably a proper espresso, and comparable to what you might get in an average coffee shop.
The process is pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. You do have to avoid inadvertently pressing the button and losing the pressure before ready to go.
Too soon to comment on the reliability of the device, but will supplement this review with any subsequent tales of woe.
But I am very pleased so far - I will use my normal machine day to day, and Nespresso machine for odd cups plus where I can take it by car and set up, but for more casual and portable use, the Handpresso is a valuable addition to our espresso armoury. Recommended

Norway - Culture Smart! The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture
Norway - Culture Smart! The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture
by Linda March

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Excellent, 1 Nov. 2014
My soan shi'a family moved to Norway for a 4 year contract. On our first visit we were lent this book. It was great reading - it gives the history, culture and etiquette of the Norwegians. Much better than a traditional guide book, and essential reading if you are going there to work or for an extended visit. Cannot recommend too highly.

Fender ABYPedal - True Bypass
Fender ABYPedal - True Bypass
Offered by EESMusic

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 1 Nov. 2014
I use this to switch iPad output to either earphones or external PA system, or both. Use adapter jacks for the smaller Plug/ socket sizes. Couldn't find an ABY switch for 3.5mm size. I inserted batteries to get indicator lights - pulling out the centre plug switches these off.

Oslo PopOut Map (Popout Maps) - handy pocket-size pop up map of Oslo including metro map
by PopOut Maps
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Oslo., 1 Nov. 2014
Nice design and very convenient. But note that there is not a Bergen map as well. It just has a small overview map that show Bergen and Oslo. But for a map for Oslo, recommended

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17