Profile for M. Spruce > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mr Mercedes
Mr Mercedes

1.0 out of 5 stars Who wrote this book?!, 26 April 2016
This review is from: Mr Mercedes (Kindle Edition)
I love Stephen King, I really do. I can't think of a bad book of his I've read (before this one), though I haven't read even close to them all. However, this book is terrible. I don't even know what to say about how bad this book is, the dialogue is some of the worst I've read by any author, and any mention of anything "techy" is just cringe worthy. I mean, who would call a computer repair company out to press CTRL, ALT + DEL (the CTRL, ALT, DEL boogie as SK calls it) to reset their computer? Anyone who uses computers knows how to reset a PC!!

I also hated the characters, one of them is mentally disabled until near the end of the book when all that's forgotten and she becomes a genius.....how did that happen?!

Please, avoid this book and buy something else such as Christine (my favourite SK book) or 11.22.63 which is also fantastic.

How this book ever got published I'll never know, I can't believe an actual publisher read this book and thought it was good enough to inflict on the world.

Notes From A Small Island: Journey Through Britain
Notes From A Small Island: Journey Through Britain
by Bill Bryson

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well, quickly lost interest...., 26 April 2016
To start, I have to say this is the first Bill Bryson book I’ve ever read so I can’t compare to any of his other work. To begin with, I was really enjoying this book, he had some interesting stories about each place he went (mainly from living in those places during the 80’s) and I was eager to continue reading. It started to go downhill about a quarter of the way in when Bill starts travelling to places he’s never visited before, Bill basically sets out with no planned route, doesn’t check timetables, when he does he leaves everywhere too late to make the bus/train he’s aiming for, then has to go somewhere completely different, then complains it wasn’t what he was expecting! Basically repeat this twenty times and you have an outline of the book.

Bill also complains about the prices of things, a lot. There is a section where he visits a museum (I think it’s a museum, I can’t be bothered to look through the book to find out) who charge £1.50 entrance and then want £2 for a guidebook. Obviously this is too expensive for Bill, who then goes on to complain that he doesn’t know what anything is due to not having the guidebook!

If you want a free version of this book, you can get this by simply visiting the Trip Advisor website, typing in a random British place, say Chepstow, selecting a variety of hotels, bars and restaurants, then click to view all one star reviews. Here you will find ridiculous complaints ranging from things being too expensive (£2 for a guidebook for example), the weather not being good enough and the buses not running from two completely random places quite as often as the reviewer would like.

I also really went off Bill when he shouts at a fast food worker who basically asks the breakfast equivalent of “would you like fries with that?” Is this not an expected question in every fast food restaurant in the world? A question which the staff are told to ask and who can not just decide they’re going to stop asking it? If it really bothers you that much, at least ask to speak to the manager rather than taking it out on the poor kid who’s just trying to serve you your egg Mcmuffin! When Bill wakes up the next day he remarks that he’s in a great mood, I then expected to see a line about how he went back to the fast food restaurant to apologise for his appalling behavior the previous morning. He doesn’t of course, I mean honestly!

How to Play Bass Guitar: Learn How You Can Quickly & Easily Play the Bass Guitar The Right Way Even If You're a Beginner, This New & Simple to Follow Guide Teaches You How Without Failing

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this?, 3 Mar. 2016
This isn't even an instruction manual, it's just random words with the word bass put in every so often. Most bizarre book I've ever downloaded!

HIRSCH Forest L, Soft Calfskin Watch Strap in Brown, 22mm, Steel Buckle
HIRSCH Forest L, Soft Calfskin Watch Strap in Brown, 22mm, Steel Buckle
Offered by Nigel Pearce & Son, Jewellers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality strap at a great price!, 31 July 2015
Amazing strap, great quality and amazing value. Very pleased with my purchase, only had it a few days so don't know how it will age but looks great right now!

The Body Shrinker Diet: A Nutritional Guide to Beautifying your Body through Healthy Eating and the Power of your own Perspective

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 13 Feb. 2015
I absolutely loved this book, it's helped in so many ways including how I think about food and the role it plays in my life. Since reading the book about ten days ago I've paid much more attention to the nutritional value of what I'm eating and have stayed away from unhealthy foods without even trying. I haven't weighed myself but I know I've lost weight, as well as having more energy generally.

This is such an easy diet to stick to as there's no strange foods to buy or prepare, everything is available everywhere and also what I verymuch like about it, everything in the diet can be bought on the go. I often buy my lunch from the local newsagents which has everything needed for the diet.

A Ridiculously Easy Way to Quit Drinking Alcohol
A Ridiculously Easy Way to Quit Drinking Alcohol

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely rubbish!, 28 Nov. 2014
This book is four pages long and has the most ridiculous method of quitting alcohol you'll ever read! Avoid at all costs!

The Absolutely, Completely, Positively, Sure-Fire Method To Lose Weight (Guaranteed!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Corrupted my Kindle, 28 May 2014
This book is rubbish and also corrupted my Kindle. It's also only one page long. I don't recommend it at all.

The LAD Diet - How to Lose Weight Fast Without Exercise
The LAD Diet - How to Lose Weight Fast Without Exercise

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 26 Feb. 2014
I've bought a few books now about dieting and most of them recommend a low carb diet. The thing I like about this book is it's a low carb diet without all the science. If you just want an easy to follow diet that works (I've lost 6lbs in the last month) without all the science then you can't go wrong with this book. If you want to know the ins and outs of WHY it works then something like The Primal Blueprint would be good also.

Overall, I recommend this book to anyone who wants an easy way to lose weight and keep it off and doesn't want to read through all the science behind why the diet works.

The Knowledge: Successful Sex and Seduction
The Knowledge: Successful Sex and Seduction

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated this book, 11 Feb. 2014
I thought this book was going to be totally different to what it actually was. It's an unbelievable story, as in literally unbelievable. It's sold as a true story but I don't believe a word of it which ruined the whole book. I would not recommend this book to anyone, I couldn't wait to finish it and move on to something else!

Merkur Progress Safety Razor
Merkur Progress Safety Razor
Offered by The Piccadilly Shaving Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome razor, 11 Feb. 2014
I'vebeen wet shaving for around five years now so I have a good idea of what makes a good razor. My usual daily shaver is a Muhle R89, however I also have a Merkur 39C and a Muhle R41 which I sometimes use. SInce I got the Progress I haven't thought at all about using any of my other razors as I'm getting a shave with this razor that is far superior to any I have gotten with my other razors.

I must state here that I never get a "BBS" shave as I don't shave against the grain, so the best I get is a very, very close shave. And out of all the close shaves I've had, the Progress has produced the least irritation with the smoothest finish.

The construction of this razor is also impressive. Whilst initially I was surprised by how small the razor is, I haven't found it to present any problems at all. My razor also aligns correctly, I know some people have an issue with the alignment on their Progress's but mine is perfect.

Overall, I highly recommend this razor, for the price it really can't be beat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3