Profile for Wilson Carter > Reviews

Moonlight Mile [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch this film!, 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Moonlight Mile [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
It is rare that you meet a film as charming, beautiful, amusing and well-acted as this one. It is an utter gem, being relatively unknown, and its sparity of circulation simply heightens its appeal, making it seem that you alone are sharing in this wonderful secret.

I would beg people to watch this film as vigorously as I could, and yet I would be slightly hesitant as I did so, wanting rather to keep it to myself, such is its personal tone and style.

The characters are very well crafted and fantastically portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman and Susan Sarandon. Silberling really hit a sweet spot when he chose a dead character as the pivot around which the film is founded, keeping the audience guessing.

The script is polished and the attention to detail almost makes you weep with admiration.

I have to restrain myself here, but whatever you do before you die, make sure you watch this film!

Zodiac [DVD] [2007]
Zodiac [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal

4.0 out of 5 stars Zodiac - a review, 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Zodiac [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This film is quite a long one, and as such it is easy to lose interest after a while. But the pace picks up late on in the film to give it a full and wholesome finish.

The style of the film captures the period of the sixties through to the eighties very well indeed and we are quite easily transported back to the day of the Zodiac killer.

The film is based upon Robert Graysmith's book of the same name, and is of course recounting actual events. As such the film makes everything astonishingly accurate, to the day etc. As such it puts a certain strain on the pace of the film, breaking it up a little too much, and the vast jumps in time from a few hours to several years can get a bit irritating after a while. I understand that this fragmented style is representative of the way in which the case developed, but as a film I don't quite think it works.

Again, on a similar point, some of the characters are only briefly introduced and are not fully rounded and plausible and simply pass Graysmith by as he explores, but it means the audience has to make a lot of connections itself, which in this era of extended stupity some may find annoying and even difficult to do. But again that contributes to the whole style of the film and is probably how Graysmith felt as he was writing the book.

Overall though, it is an interesting film and worth the watch if you can spare two and a half hours.

Proof [DVD]
Proof [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gwyneth Paltrow
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not that good, 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Proof [DVD] (DVD)
Though this film does not have all the beauty and charm of "Shakespeare in Love", it is nonetheless tender and precise. I can understand why some would term it dull, boring and drawn out, because it is based on a play, where scenes tend to be longer and in more depth. But the writing is strong enough to hold you, just.

Not much actually happens in the film, but that does not necessarily make it unworthy to watch. The performances are generally believable, but overall the film tries too hard to be "Shakespeare in Love" and unfortunately falls quite a way short of Madden's previous masterpiece.

Shakespeare In Love [DVD] [1999]
Shakespeare In Love [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Gwyneth Paltrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding class, 25 Jun 2008
This film will change your whole perspective on love. It has the ability to move you to both laughter and tears, and that reason alone places it in my top five of all time.

The acting is superb, as is the set design, choreography, script and costume. This film is packed with talent in the actors; Joseph Fiennes and Gwyneth Paltrow are brilliant throughout. But I love it when a film has not so big characters, yet the actors who play them make them their own and really make the most of it. Examples in this film would include Martin Clunes, Simon Callow, Geoffrey Rush, Ben Affleck, Colin Firth and above all Judi Dench.

I could rant on all day about the beauty of the script and the way in which Shakespeare is so characterised.

A film to see much sooner than your dying day.

The Shakespeare Secret: Number 1 in series (Kate Stanley)
The Shakespeare Secret: Number 1 in series (Kate Stanley)
by J L Carrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Subject - good; style - confusing, 25 Jun 2008
I have to agree with most reviewers here in that though the subject matter is fascinating in itself and has awakened in me a debate that I was blissfully unaware of until now, the style of the writing is very confusing. You're not quite sure whose speaking sometimes, if in fact someone is speaking; and the bit about Oxfordians and Oxonians confused me utterly as Carrell didn't make it clear that Oxford was a bloke. Another part is the whole "Don Quixote" bit; I gathered that the story of "Cardenio" is from this piece of literary work, but I was totally confused about the link between it and Shakespeare.

On the whole it is an interesting and exceedingly well-researched piece of work, but the author sometimes gets a bit carried away with her own breadth of knowledge and tries a bit too hard to impress this upon the reader.

A satisfactory read.

Perfect Strangers [DVD]
Perfect Strangers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Neill
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Peculiar, but still a bit of a gem, 28 April 2008
This review is from: Perfect Strangers [DVD] (DVD)
I have no idea why I chose this film, but I'm pretty glad that I did.

The film was certainly perfectly strange in that what happens is so unpredicted and unexpected, that you just think "Excuse me?"

But then you recover once you realise that this is no ordinary film, and you settle down into the tone of the film, still uncertain of what might happen next, but with the belief that it will remain consistently peculiar.

We are treated with a mixture diverse emotions and stunning countryside. (Being set in New Zealand I would expect nothing less.) The shining eyes of Sam Neill as he whisks his way through the guests as a ghost at his love's wedding, and the way in which she then dances with him; together alone in their own world, really do sum up this film.

Disconcerting and surreal, this film is acutely interesting for one who embraces originality.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford [DVD] [2007]
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt

4.0 out of 5 stars Long, but worth the time, 28 April 2008
I can see how some would think this film was a long, overdrawn and unexciting piece of cinematography. Yet I found that the tempo and tone of the film was very much in tune with the characters being represented. It is an odd film in that it tells you what happens in the title. So what you as a viewer should be concentrating on more is not the development of the story, but the development of the characters.

Casey Affleck successfully portrays Robert Ford in convincing style, and Brad Pitt is equally enthralling as the psychotic Jesse James. For their performances alone this film is worth watching.

There is only one piece of real heart beating action in the film, that of the train robbery, and the buildup to it and the delivery were superb. The music, a handful of simple chords played over throughout the film, add the perfect atmosphere to the film, and especially this part of the film. It was so beautifully cut this scene, that it really does stick in your mind long after it happens, regardless of the fact that very few shots are in fact fired.

I would not recommend this film if you are looking for a guns blazing action film, but if you want a cool, precise and distinct piece of film that divulges right into the heart of characters of complex and enthralling stature, then this is worth the time to watch.

Ludovico Einaudi: The Piano Collection Volume 1
Ludovico Einaudi: The Piano Collection Volume 1
by Ludovico Einaudi

5.0 out of 5 stars Just magic, 11 Jan 2008
After being enthralled by Divenire I set about looking for Einaudi's music to play myself. With 14 different pieces of varying difficulties to try my hand at, this was just what I was looking for. Though initially challenging, I progressed further with the pieces than I thought I would, and I was particularly impressed with the ease with which the magic of Le Onde was relayed through my finger tips. I would highly recommend this for those of all abilities, and for those who, like me, wanted the satisfaction of being able to play the music of a true master.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2010 3:19 PM GMT

The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays
The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars His love of language, 11 Jan 2008
I first chose to read this book in preparation for an interview in which I thought I would need all the information I could get on Beowulf. I understood the respect and intrigue Tolkien held with the Old English poem, and with this book named after his essay upon it, I was preparing myself for a solid induction into the hidden subtleties in the language and context of the poem. Though I received this with The Monsters and the Critics I was also deeply fascinated with the other essays in the collection. Written at various points in his life they all focussed upon a medium Tolkien devoted the greater part of his life to: language.

Within the essays could be detected the shrewd mind of their author as he contemplated the many aspects of language which entranced him. From syntax to the sound and measure of individual words, the thought process in some of Tolkien's works can be clearly discerned in his writings. His stark enthusiasm for language is infectious and I couldn't help but have deep admiration for the clear devotion and respect Tolkien has for language.

Page: 1 | 2