Profile for PauloMunich > Reviews

Content by PauloMunich

PauloMunich

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin nuvi 2597LM 5 inch Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Bluetooth

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed with it, 17 April 2014
I bought this GPS to replace an old one. I'd expected the hardware and software to be much more sleek - a bit like a modern smart phone, but it's not - it's rather clunky like my old GPS.

It takes a long time to boot up and a long time to acquire the satellites.

On the box it shows a dual screen, showing the normal routing on the left and an image of the junction on the right. At first I was surprised that the image on the right never seemed to appear, until I realized that it only appears on motorways.

Its routing has caused me problems on several occasions. It had me going around in circles recently. A while ago we were in a mountainous region and put a destination at the other side of a mountain into the GPS, which routed us through dangerous narrow roads to the top of the mountain and down the other side. Looking at the map afterwards, I saw that there was a main road around the bottom of the mountain! It didn't find the shortest or the fastest route. It could have been the shortest route as the crow flies, if a crow could fly directly through the bottom of the mountain - but that's no way to calculate the shortest route.

The GPS comes with a suction pad for attaching it to the windscreen. At first this worked fine, but now the GPS keeps dropping off with a bang.

The GPS has also started to reboot whenever I stop the engine. e.g. I stop for petrol and when I restart the engine it reboots, which takes ages, and has lost the route. The destination needs to be reselected from the 'history'.

I have updated the GPS software several times. The first time I updated it, the Garmin website downloaded a program called Garmin Express, which crashed. When I recently performed an update, the program did not crash, but it took several hours to perform the update. I had to leave it going all night.

I use the GPS a lot in France and a bit in the UK. In general, it works better in the UK than it does in France. It gives more warnings and the database seems more accurate in the UK.

One feature I like is that it displays the current speed limit. Another feature I like is that it gives warnings of fixed speed cameras and gives warnings of areas often used for mobile speed checks. I'm also pleased that this works in France, because there is a regulation in France forbidding it. Garmin have simply changed the warning to indicate that it is a dangerous section of road, rather than specifically saying that there is a radar with camera, which is a rather cunning plan.

I'm still using Windows XP and the Garmin Express program keeps warning me that Microsoft have stopped supporting this operating system and so have Garmin. I clicked on the Garmin Express symbol in the tray, it started to update itself (I didn't ask it to) and then gives the message "Garmin Core Update Service" could not be installed - verify that you have sufficient privileges. I'm logged in as administrator and never had such a problem before.

I'm rather disappointed with this GPS and I can't really recommend it.

The Yellow Cross: The Story of the Last Cathars 1290-1329
The Yellow Cross: The Story of the Last Cathars 1290-1329
by René Weis

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up with it, 26 Nov 2013
This book was much too detailed for me. Each sentence introduces a new character or unfamiliar term and this quickly becomes rather boring. The book doesn't really describe the last Cathars, it describes in excruciating detail a handful of families and villages, about which which the author found large amounts of mainly irrelevant details. I gave up with it.

Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. (Vintage)
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. (Vintage)
by Ron Chernow

3.0 out of 5 stars Much too long and detailed for me, 8 Nov 2013
I enjoy reading biographies, but this one is tough going. It's a huge book and goes into minute detail about almost everyone Rockefeller met and every deal he did. The author probably set out to write the "definitive" biography of Rockefeller and he probably succeeded. I've read about a third of it so far and I think I'm going to give up with it. It's probably ideal if you are a historian or writing a thesis on the subject, but for the casual reader of biographies I suggest that you look elsewhere.

How to be Rich
How to be Rich
by J. Paul Getty
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but does not fully live up to the title, 14 Oct 2013
I really enjoy reading what Paul Getty wrote, but this book does not fully live up to its title. I understand that the title of the book implies that it is about how to "be" rich rather than how to "get rich". The first third of the book describes how Getty himself got rich, which is very interesting, especially if you have not yet read his autobiography. The second third of the book gives his tips for how businessmen should behave in order to succeed. By the way, you notice that the book was written 50 years ago, because he never considers businesswomen. Only in the last third of the book does he get down to the subject of how to "be" rich. He gives his thoughts on investing in the stock market - his advice is good but nothing new - buy stocks when they are cheap and keep them for the long term. He also gives his tips on investing in real estate and fine art. Again, nothing world breaking - accumulate, be thrifty, watch the expenses, react quickly to problems.

Neet® - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH BOX with REMOTE - 3x1 HUB (3 way input 1 output) - 1080p Full HD - v1.3b HDMI Switcher
Offered by Neet Cables

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not switch automatically, 25 July 2013
Unfortunately, it did not switch automatically to the powered up HDMI input. It only worked manually. In my case the inputs are from a Sky HD box and an Orange TV box. When I first opened the package, there were a few surprises. Firstly, they did not include the invoice. The package also includes something which is not shown in the product image, i.e. an infra-red sensor on a long wire, which you connect to the switch for the remote control. The switch also has a 5V input, which should not be necessary because the switch is powered via the HDMI inputs, but the instructions state that it is sometimes necessary to attach a 5V power supply. There is a tiny user manual supplied, but it contains statements such as "when the source devices are on the stand-by mode, the power supply should be turned off, otherwise this switcher can not meet intelligent function" and "when plugged in or out this switcher is completely intellegent".
I disagree. I'm going to send it back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2013 11:17 AM BST

The Double Helix
The Double Helix
by James Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars A personal recollection of an important discovery, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Double Helix (Paperback)
I found it an interesting book, but wasn't as impressed as most of the other reviewers. It's a small book and a quick read. I found it nice how Watson describes the characters of those involved. At times he willingly admits that he wasn't very knowledgeable about the subject in the beginning and that at first he was overshadowed by the genius of Crick. In other places in the book he is rather condescending towards those he considers less intelligent. He describes his conflicts with Rosalind Franklin, who did excellent work on X-ray crystallography. He criticises her a lot, but seems very willing to use her experimental results. She was probably wary of him because she suspected that he would use her results and take all the credit, which is exactly what happened. He tries to make up for his criticisms in the epilogue, but by then the damage is already done.

How to Make a Million Before Lunch
How to Make a Million Before Lunch
by Rachel Bridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational but a bit misleading, 6 May 2013
I enjoyed reading this book and I found it inspirational. The gist of the book is to make lots of money by starting an online shop. Unfortunately, most small online shops sell almost nothing. People prefer to go to Amazon or the online shops of large high street stores. There are so many online shops that it's hard for the small ones to get noticed. She doesn't really make this clear enough. Maybe she doesn't know this, because she has not actually run an online shop herself. It's easy to spend lots of time starting an online shop in the way she suggests, only to be disappointed when it doesn't sell much.

NEC LCD-EA244WMI Monitor
NEC LCD-EA244WMI Monitor
Offered by mopodo-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy with it, 19 Mar 2013
I just received this monitor and so far I'm very happy with it. One reason I selected this monitor is because it has a 16:10 aspect ratio, which I prefer for doing real work (documents, programming, etc) rather than the standard 16:9 ratio. I also like the 1920*1200 resolution. I have it connected to both a Windows PC and a MAC-Mini, both at 1920*1200. The Mac-Mini adjusted its resolution automatically (using either the HDMI or DisplayPort). It also has a good selection of video connections (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, VGA) and four USBs. It came with a DVI and a VGA cable. Strange that they supply a VGA cable rather than an HDMI cable. There are not many other monitors on the market which fulfill these specifications. The Asus PA248Q and the Dell U2412 have similar specifications. I wasn't sure whether a 24 inch monitor was large enough or whether I needed 27 inches. When the box arrived and I removed the monitor I thought that it looked small, but when I had set it up with a resolution of 1920*1200 I saw that it was just the size I wanted. I need to be able to view two documents side by side. At first power up the monitor is in Eco mode, which is a bit dark. When this is switched off it always powers up with Eco off. So far I'm very happy with the quality of the displayed images. Overall the monitor has a reasonable quality feel to it. I would recommend it.

The Best of Britain: Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly: Accessible, contemporary guides by local authors: Accessible, Contemporary Guides by Local Experts
by Lesley Gillilan

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful green text and poor pictures, 20 July 2011
Normally, when I buy a guide book I am keen to start reading it and start planning our holiday, but not with this one. When you open this uninspiring book, you immediately notice the awful green text and the poor quality black and white pictures. I would never have bought this book in a bookshop. I was led astray by the good reviews here.

The Strangest Man: The Life of Paul Dirac
The Strangest Man: The Life of Paul Dirac
by Graham Farmelo

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but too long, 15 Mar 2011
This is a very well written book, but I found it too long. Some of the parts which are not directly related to Dirac could have been reduced. It is also slightly repetitive. In my opinion it is not a book which will appeal to everyone; only to those who are interested in the history of quantum mechanics and the physicists of the first half of the 20th century.

Page: 1 | 2