Profile for PauloMunich > Reviews

God's Dust: A Modern Asian Journey
God's Dust: A Modern Asian Journey
by Ian Buruma

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and outdated, 12 Oct 2014
This book didn't interest me at all. I had high hopes because of the good reviews here. It contains various essays on places in asia from the author's travels in the 1980s. I found it boring and outdated. I gave up and did not finish reading it.

Higgs Force: Cosmic Symmetry Shattered
Higgs Force: Cosmic Symmetry Shattered
by Nicholas Mee

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much on the history of science, 12 Oct 2014
Like many popular science books, this contains too much on the history of science and not enough on the subject. You have to plough through most of the book before reading anything about the Higgs boson.

The Smile of Murugan: A South Indian Journey
The Smile of Murugan: A South Indian Journey
by Michael Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 12 Oct 2014
I found this book boring. I managed to read half of it before giving up. It's not badly written, just that not enough happens to maintain the reader's attention.

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind
by Ruby Wax

3.0 out of 5 stars Strays from the subject of mindfullness, 12 Oct 2014
The first third of this bok is typical Ruby Wax chattering away as she does on the TV and radio. The second part is a sort of dummies guide to the structure of the brain. The rest is exercises in mindfullness. This last part jumps into the exercises too quickly - without going deeply enough into what is meant by mindfullness. The exercises are spread out with lots of blank space, as if she didn't have enough material to fill the book.

Honey and Dust: Travels in Search of Sweetness
Honey and Dust: Travels in Search of Sweetness
by Piers Moore Ede

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, 11 Oct 2014
I have read both of his books and liked them a lot. He has both a good writing style and makes his subjects interesting. I'm often disappointed with the books I buy and struggle to finish them, but not with this author, who I highly recommend and hope he publishes another book soon.

Never Mind the Bullocks: One girl's 10,000 km adventure around India in the worlds cheapest car
by Vanessa Able

2.0 out of 5 stars It didn't interest me at all, 11 Oct 2014
I had great expectations for this book because of the good reviews here, but I was disappointed. She never seemed to make any deep contact with the locals or have particularly interesting experiences. In the last third of the book she seems in a big rush to get it all over. One thing I shall remember from the book is information about the huge number of people who die on the roads in India each year. A quick search on the internet showed me that it is 90,000 in a typical year and sometimes a lot more - figures which will put most people off wanting to repeat her experience.

Hanson: A biography: The Rise and Rise of Britain's Most Buccaneering Businessman
by Alex Brummer

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and well researched, 10 Sep 2014
This is a very well researched book. It goes right back to the beginning of the Hanson haulage company in Huddersfield. I found the descriptions of the characters of James Hanson and Gordon White the most interesting - more interesting than all the details of the companies they took over. The book was published in 1995 so it tells almost all of the story, but it's a bit of a pity that you don't get to hear how the story ends - that James Hanson passed away in 2004 and that Hanson plc became a subsidiary of Heidelberg Cement in 2007.

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
by Brad Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly interesting, 10 Sep 2014
I found this book fairly interesting but not great. It has quite a few boring bits, mainly about various employees who joined the company, stayed for a year or two then left. It's a bit repetitive. I skimmed through the last pages to get to the end quickly.

Garmin nuvi 2597LM 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Bluetooth

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm disappointed with it, 17 April 2014
I bought this GPS to replace an old one. I'd expected the hardware and software to be much more sleek - a bit like a modern smart phone, but it's not - it's rather clunky like my old GPS.

It takes a long time to boot up and a long time to acquire the satellites.

On the box it shows a dual screen, showing the normal routing on the left and an image of the junction on the right. At first I was surprised that the image on the right never seemed to appear, until I realized that it only appears on motorways.

Its routing has caused me problems on several occasions. It had me going around in circles recently. A while ago we were in a mountainous region and put a destination at the other side of a mountain into the GPS, which routed us through dangerous narrow roads to the top of the mountain and down the other side. Looking at the map afterwards, I saw that there was a main road around the bottom of the mountain! It didn't find the shortest or the fastest route. It could have been the shortest route as the crow flies, if a crow could fly directly through the bottom of the mountain - but that's no way to calculate the shortest route.

The GPS comes with a suction pad for attaching it to the windscreen. At first this worked fine, but now the GPS keeps dropping off with a bang.

The GPS has also started to reboot whenever I stop the engine. e.g. I stop for petrol and when I restart the engine it reboots, which takes ages, and has lost the route. The destination needs to be reselected from the 'history'.

I have updated the GPS software several times. The first time I updated it, the Garmin website downloaded a program called Garmin Express, which crashed. When I recently performed an update, the program did not crash, but it took several hours to perform the update. I had to leave it going all night.

I use the GPS a lot in France and a bit in the UK. In general, it works better in the UK than it does in France. It gives more warnings and the database seems more accurate in the UK.

One feature I like is that it displays the current speed limit. Another feature I like is that it gives warnings of fixed speed cameras and gives warnings of areas often used for mobile speed checks. I'm also pleased that this works in France, because there is a regulation in France forbidding it. Garmin have simply changed the warning to indicate that it is a dangerous section of road, rather than specifically saying that there is a radar with camera, which is a rather cunning plan.

I'm still using Windows XP and the Garmin Express program keeps warning me that Microsoft have stopped supporting this operating system and so have Garmin. I clicked on the Garmin Express symbol in the tray, it started to update itself (I didn't ask it to) and then gives the message "Garmin Core Update Service" could not be installed - verify that you have sufficient privileges. I'm logged in as administrator and never had such a problem before.

I'm rather disappointed with this GPS and I can't really recommend it.

The Yellow Cross: The Story of the Last Cathars 1290-1329
The Yellow Cross: The Story of the Last Cathars 1290-1329
by René Weis

2.0 out of 5 stars I gave up with it, 26 Nov 2013
This book was much too detailed for me. Each sentence introduces a new character or unfamiliar term and this quickly becomes rather boring. The book doesn't really describe the last Cathars, it describes in excruciating detail a handful of families and villages, about which which the author found large amounts of mainly irrelevant details. I gave up with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3