Profile for T. Wakefield > Reviews

Content by T. Wakefield

T. Wakefield (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
20 Golden Greats
20 Golden Greats

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
I'm a bit biased as The Soup Dragons were my favourite band about 20 years ago but this is a great compilation on many levels. Honest!

This isn't just a compilation of singles, it's a selection of tracks from their albums and some b-sides in the early 90s. I'm slightly disappointed that 'Backwards Dog' is the album mix rather than the original single version, plus there's a lack of early b-sides from those singles and remixes but they're minor grumbles. Most of the band members moved onto other music projects as different as the styles on here (worth checking out as well).

All the great 20 tracks have aged well and I'd hazard guess it's actually 21 tracks (a 50 second additional track from the Hypdrophonic album but I'm sure Hifi Sean can advise)!

The artwork, as mentioned by another reviewer, is also a lovely touch: words and art by the children of the band members based on the songs. A personal touch that's often lacking in many compilations.

Anyway, I probably should have written this first: it's a great introduction to a band (unloved by UK music press) who were often ahead of the music trends. An eclectic selection of 20 songs including their biggest hits and some unknown gems. Buy it, you will like it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 9:01 PM GMT

Late Night Tales - Mixed by Lindstrom
Late Night Tales - Mixed by Lindstrom

4.0 out of 5 stars You can listen in the daytime..., 9 May 2012
I'm a fan of Lindstrøm's music - his album 'Where You Go I Go Too' is epic. His only track here is a cover (Moroder naturally).

The overall mix good with an interesting mix. I'd suggest buying it just to own Carly Simon's 'Why" but it's more than that. There are no major surprises overall but it's worth the money.

As it's 4 stars, I'd say if you have the Carly Simon track then you should buy his album mentioned above as this isn't as eclectic as other albums in the series or in the DJ Kicks series.

UFC The Official Fan's Guide
UFC The Official Fan's Guide
by Thomas Gerbasi

4.0 out of 5 stars More interesting than I expected!, 9 May 2012
i got this book for my birthday. Whilst not a fan of UFC, it's made me go on YouTube to watch some knockouts, finishing moves and comebacks.

It's not made me fan of UFC but I enjoyed the top 10 UFC moments!

Tuscany Silver Polished Star Stud Earrings
Tuscany Silver Polished Star Stud Earrings

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 9 May 2012
I bought these on request of my fiance so don't wear them but... She says: "they're pretty much as the description however are thinner than expected".

London 2012 Olympic Games: An Official London 2012 Games Publication
London 2012 Olympic Games: An Official London 2012 Games Publication
by Jon Mattos

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book... perfect for the coffee table!, 9 May 2012
This is a good book for dipping in and out on the Olympics. There's a simple section on the venues, a comprehensive events section and a stats section (which is more interesting than you'd think!).

The simple venue section has pictures and descriptions of each venue (including those outside of London) and really gives a good image of what to expect in a few months.

It's the events section that's the, ahem, winner here. It gives you an explanation of the sport (helpful for the lesser known ones) and detail of past winners and ones to watch. There is historical detail and 'ones to watch'. I certainly know more now about wrestling and the modern pentathlon.

Sadly for me, I really enjoyed the statistics of the medal tables - more interesting than I expected (Germany vs. East Germany vs. West Germany, anyone? No? Oh well).

Anyway, I've not finished reading it and as my title says, it's perfect for the coffee table.

Power Movement
Power Movement
Offered by EX DISPLAY STOCK

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd like more like this..., 9 May 2012
This review is from: Power Movement (Audio CD)
With the Hieroglyphics crew, it's not quality rather than quantity. Power Movement is a super album and worthy of 4.5 stars. His rapping and style mirrors what you'd expect and music keeps your head nodding. The album entertains you and is worthwhile buying if you can. It's a pity he's not done more recently other than his work with the Souls Of Mischief and the Sleeprockers. My only disappointment is that I didn't buy it 8 years ago!

Be Strong
Be Strong

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album that can..., 1 May 2012
This review is from: Be Strong (Audio CD)
a) help you run long distances, b) assist your trudge to and from work and c) finally listen at home and sound beautiful. The only let down is a track that sounds like Blur and that you don't get a bear hug.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 12:06 PM GMT

Call Me D-Nice
Call Me D-Nice

4.0 out of 5 stars Crumbs on the table, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Call Me D-Nice (Audio CD)
After hearing the DJ Yoda Fabric mix, I bought this reissue as I'd forgotten about D-Nice. The beats are good and and rhyming fun but it's not upthere with other classic albums (unlike "93 to Infinity", "The low End Theory" etc.).

But yes, worth buying if you like early 90s hip hop.

1001 Bizarre Football Stories: Daft Footballers, Mad Managers, Crazy Chairman and Foolish Fans (1001 Ridiculous)
by Robert Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Just in time for Christmas! And perfect for the coffee table..., 28 Oct 2010
This book is the great for any football fan. It's full of short stories, from all over the world, that captivate the reader. You can flick through, or read page after page of, quirky, sometimes sad, often hilarious stories.

I've found myself cringing at my boyhood heroes and laughing at the exploits of current footballers and teams. Light-hearted incidents are given more depth by other, often unknown, significant facts. I have been surprised by how easy it is to read and how enjoyable it is.

It's a perfect gift for any football fan. If you need a stocking filler for anyone, or yourself, get this book!

Montezuma's Revenge
Montezuma's Revenge

5.0 out of 5 stars Souls of Mischief are back!, 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: Montezuma's Revenge (Audio CD)
Simply put - a great album produced by Prince Paul. You might have to wait a few years for them to come along but it's a classic. "Tour Stories" is sublime.

Page: 1 | 2