Profile for Roberto56 > Reviews

Al Di La' Del Bene E Del Male
Al Di La' Del Bene E Del Male
Dvd ~ Clara Colosimo
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this film when it came out and I would ..., 18 July 2015
As I an admirer of Liliana Cavani's work, I loved this film when it came out and I would recommend to anyone interested in the Mitteleuropa at the turn of the century (the XIX, of course). "caveat emptor': contrary to what stated on Amazon, the aspect ratio is 4:3, plus the film urgently needs restoring. I have a copy downloaded from the internet which is actually better. It is also a pity that it has no English subtitles or English soundtrack (presumably, it was filmed in English). For this reason, I am rating it with 4 stars.

Karajan / Strauss Deluxe Box (DG box set)
Karajan / Strauss Deluxe Box (DG box set)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 6 Jun. 2015
I don't think I have much to add to what has been said already. I am so pleased I bought this limited edition. I already owned these pieces with Karajan both on vinyl and CD but I still wanted to have this. It will give me hours of sheer pleasure. Highly recommended. I just wish it contained the Sinfonia Domestica as well.

Mozart: Don Giovanni
Mozart: Don Giovanni

4.0 out of 5 stars Only a few lines to comment about the BBC review ..., 2 May 2015
This review is from: Mozart: Don Giovanni (Audio CD)
Only a few lines to comment about the BBC review above :

"U n u s u a l l y, the set boasts top-class voices in both of the aristocratic leading female roles."

Are they serious?!!!

What about Sutherland-Schwarzkopf, Nilsson-Price, Watson-Ludwig, Della Casa-Jurinac, Nilsson-Arroyo, Sutherland-Horne, Arroyo-Te Kanawa, just to mention a few?

Another ridiculous statement:

"Luca Pisaroni is an excellent foil as Leporello and, unlike in many recordings, his voice distinctive enough to ensure t h e r e i s n o m i s t a k i n g him for Giovanni."

Now, I simply love Pisaroni (seen in several times) but for other reasons. I wouldn't think the BBC argument is a valid one. As a matter of fact, similarities between the two voices are almost 'de rigueur' if one is to believe that Donna Elvira mistakes him for Don Giovanni.

In My Own Voice: Memoirs
In My Own Voice: Memoirs
by Christa Ludwig

4.0 out of 5 stars I consider Ludwig as one of the greatest singers of the second half of last century - ..., 16 Nov. 2014
I consider Ludwig as one of the greatest singers of the second half of last century - her rendition of die Fäberin in Die Frau ohne Schatten, for instance, remains unsurpassed. This is, therefore, interesting reading for me. Is seems like a well balanced account of her own career and encounters with conductors. Contrary to to what stated here, however, the book is in paperback and kind of a poor one too, with photos whose quality is quite poor. Did not purchase from Amazon but a private seller.

Sophoclean Tragedy
Sophoclean Tragedy
by C. M. Bowra

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sophoclean Tragedy (Hardcover)
Great product. Arrived in no time as described.

Janowski Ring Edition
Janowski Ring Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars An authentic bargain., 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Janowski Ring Edition (Audio CD)
I already owned this in a much less appealing package. For a mere 17 quid I thought it was worth ordering it again. It would be a bargain even if it cost 50.
The packaging is beautiful and the cast, especially if compared to what you get these days in theatre and recordings, is great. The three Rheintöchter are Lucia Popp, Uta Priew and Hanna Schwarz. Do I need to say more?
In haste: Altmeyer is a young Brünnhilde and those accustomed to more Teutonic and imperious singer will probably be disappointed. But her rendition of the character is credible.
I remember talking to Altmeyr back in 1981 after a performance of Götterdämmerung in which she sang Gutrune and she said that, at the time, was resisting offers from conductors to sing Isolde as she thought - so she said - she was not mature enough. Not sure what happened next, whether she eventually gave in and undertook Isolde, but she certainly accepted to sing this exceptionally heavy role. As for the others, they are all first rate singer, again, of the sort one could not even imagine today. Adam, for me, has always been an interesting Wotan - despite the many criticisms that invested him since the time of Wieland's second Ring. Kollo, a singer who has sung the role for so many years, is a most credible Siegfried and sounds quite fresh and young: a perfect match for the young Altmeyer.
I would recommend this Ring - at such a price - even to first timers to get acquainted with the work, in excellent sound (if I remember correctly, it was the first Ring recorded digitally).

The Life of Richard Wagner
The Life of Richard Wagner

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 8 Nov. 2014
Covers part of Wagner's life. Only of interest to a diehard Wagnerite.

Der Ring Nibelungen in Bayreuth Von Den Angangen Bis Heute
Der Ring Nibelungen in Bayreuth Von Den Angangen Bis Heute
by Philippe Olivier

4.0 out of 5 stars Only in German, 2 Nov. 2014
Such a shame that a similar book should only be available in German (written by a French author, besides!). If no translation appeared in the 2013, I doubt it will ever be made, this way excluding a very large part of potential readers worldwide.

Wagner: Götterdämmerung
Wagner: Götterdämmerung
Offered by eamons_emporium

3.0 out of 5 stars Siegfried would deserve a better bride, 5 Oct. 2014
I totally agree with Dr Allan Steel: sound and conducting are top notch. I heard Haitink in three different productions, in London (ROH and RAH): he ranks as one of the greatest Wagner conductors of the end of last Century. As for Morris, he is - to me - a stupendous, majestic and yet very human Wotan. Just listen to how he sings 'der Welt weisteses Weib gebar mir Brünnhilde, dich', in the middle of Act 2, so full of tenderness. Eva Marton simply does not have the stamina to sing this role. It is as simple as that. She can barely reach top notes but the journey is not pleasant and, in any case, she can only dwell on them for a second or two. It's a real shame to have appointed her for the role (at the time, Deborah Polaski, who gave a fantastic performance with Haiting around 1997, was available and could boast a much more secure range that could do justice to this impervious role).

THE GROUP
THE GROUP
by MARY McCARTHY

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: THE GROUP (Hardcover)
Great book in 1963 as it is today. A piece of American history.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5