Profile for Michelle Moore > Reviews

Content by Michelle Moore
Top Reviewer Ranking: 900

Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leitz Complete Rotating Desk Stand for iPad/Tablet PCs -  White
Leitz Complete Rotating Desk Stand for iPad/Tablet PCs - White
Offered by Shoplet-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars this is very useful, but maybe a little too expensive, 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tested this with an iPad and an Android 7 inch tablet, and both work well. It also accepts these devices in a cover, although it doesn't feel quite as secure.

You can lay the tablet down on the top, and it holds it at a slight angle, or you can stand it up, almost at 90 degrees, using the lip at the front. There's a circular base, which allows the whole thing to twist around. You can't however, lock it in place, so it can move a little when using the tablet.

On the whole, this is very useful, but maybe a little too expensive?

The Reviver
The Reviver
by Seth Patrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime thriller with a supernatural twist, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Reviver (Paperback)
Jonah is a Reviver – someone who can revive the dead for a short period of time. In Jonah’s case, he works for a forensic team, so he revives in order to let the victim testify about the events of their death. It’s a well controlled experience, and is used as evidence in courts.

However, during one revival, Jonah experiences something which makes him question exactly what they’re doing.. another presence, which he can’t explain. He’s told it’s just an hallucination, brought about by stress, but Jonah isn’t convinced, and starts to dig deeper. He ends up involved in something much bigger than he expected.

For the majority of the book, this feels like a crime / thriller, with this very interesting twist. The whole issue of Revival is explored, including it’s uses and problems, and it’s this aspect which lifts it well above average. Some reviewers have found the book too slow, but I disagree – there’s a lot of information to give, and aspects of reviving to explore, and I enjoyed this.

Throughout there’s an uneasiness, a suggestion of a supernatural element, and towards the end this becomes more apparent, and there’s a definite switch in the book. I have to admit, this did worry me for a while, because I’ve seen similar books which started to feel.. well, silly. In my opinion though, Seth keeps a realistic tone, and it soon settles into a good ending.

Whilst it would have been possible to keep simply to the idea of forensic revival, I’m not sure how far it could have been taken in the future. I would imagine that the supernatural aspect will feature quite strongly in the next book, and I look forward to finding out where we’re taken next.

Extinction Game
Extinction Game
by Gary Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Plot and characters come together, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Extinction Game (Hardcover)
Science Fiction is an area I dip into occasionally, and Gary Gibson was a new author to me, but when I was offered a copy of Extinction Game to review, something caught my attention, and so I agreed. I wasn’t sure how quickly I’d get to it, but I took a quick peek, and was soon hooked.

The story begins with Jerry Beche, who has managed to survive a deadly viral attack, and as far as he knows, he’s the only survivor. Until one day when he’s ‘rescued’, and taken to an island where there are others who have also survived the end of their own alternative Earth. He learns that there an infinite number of alternative Earths, and many of them have had their own apocalyptic event. A small group of survivors have been brought together and trained, and their role is to enter these Earths and rescue data, records, technology etc.

There’s a lot going on from this point – each world the teams visit has it’s own ending or strange future, and Gibson describes each one vividly, including the events leading up to the end of Jerry’s Earth. This was fascinating enough in itself, but we also explore the relationships within the team members, during their visits and in between. They’re an interesting group, with some handling events far better than others.

As well as this, they have to deal with the Authority, the organisation who brought them all together. Who exactly are they, and why do they need the data and technology? Also, where exactly did the ability to enter these other timelines come from?

The mix within this book was just right for me, and I read it within a couple of days. I wanted to find out as much as I could about the alternative worlds, and how it was possible to visit them, but I also found myself invested in the individuals involved, including Jerry. The balance is good, the SF aspect is there, but never weighs down the overall story, and it’s good to see characters being just as important as plot.

I’m going to recommend this one, but maybe especially to those, like me, may be a little wary of Science Fiction. I’m definitely putting some of his other books on my wishlist, and will wait rather impatiently for the sequel.

[Magnetically Attached] Anker® Pull-Apart Case for iPhone 5C Cover Combo with Built-In Stand - Slim Hard Case + Synthetic-Leather Cover, Double-Layer Protective Folio-Style (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good idea for me, 7 Sep 2014
The idea is a case which the phone snaps into, which can then be held magnetically in the wrap around case. This is a good idea for me, as sometimes I like to use the phone without a wrap-around case, but on it's own, it's a bit slippery. The magnet seems strong enough to hold, I'll come back and update after a little more use.

My first case didn't fit properly, as the phone wouldn't snap in properly. I contacted the company, and they sent a replacement quickly, with no fuss. I'm therefore pleased with the product and the company.

HP Chromebook 11
HP Chromebook 11

2.0 out of 5 stars and I like the keyboard, 7 Sep 2014
I bought mine in Feb 2014, and was initially very impressed. It's light, very quick to boot up, and I like the keyboard. However, after a couple of months I experienced problems with the charger, so I had to purchase a new one. Now, only 7 months on, it's starting to freeze if I try to load more than a simple page.. ie something with a video or lots of adverts.

I appreciate it's not that expensive, but if you need to replace it after less than a year, I can no longer recommend it.

Casea Packing Cartoon Bird Owl Flower Wallet Leather Cover Case for Apple iPhone 5C AT&T Verizon Sprint
Offered by Baibest

3.0 out of 5 stars I did really like this case, 6 Sep 2014
I did really like this case.. the phone fitted snuggly, I loved the design, and it was nice and protective. However, after a month or so, the magnet came loose within the case, and therefore it won't close.

Lavolta AC Adapter RapidPower Charger for HP Pavilion Chromebook 11 11-1126GR 11-1126UK Laptop Notebook Series
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not enough power, 6 Sep 2014
Sadly this is not the same as the official Chromebook charger, I believe it's only 2A rather than the necessary 3A. It will slowly charge the chromebook if it's switched off, but is no good if you're trying to use it.

I thankfully found my spare official charger. I almost sent this one back, but am keeping it as an emergency back up. If you want to use it for everyday use, you'll be disappointed.

BISSELL 1430B C3 Pets Multi-Cyclonic Cylinder Vacuum, 25 Litre, 1100 Watt, Grey and Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We’ve previously used a Dyson upright, and a much cheaper cylinder, so this was our first experience of a more expensive cyclonic cylinder.

The bulk of the vacuum is already together in the box, with only the hose and various attachments to be added. Putting it together was rather straightforward, but there isn’t a good guide as to what the different attachments were. I also notice that unlike our dyson, not all the heads and attachments can be stored on the vacuum, which means finding storage, and trying not to lose them.

There are two main heads, one for everyday and one high power, plus a mini turbo one. With these removed, you simply click on the other attachments.. a soft brush, a hard brush, and an upholstery tool. These are stored on the vacuum, so are easy to change.

As for actual use, the suction is pretty amazing, and you can see the carpet being lifted. It may be my carpets, but I found it almost impossible to push the head forward, I needed to lift slightly, and then vacuum as I pulled it back. I found that easy enough to get used to though.

The main unit is easy to manoeuvre and quieter than our dyson. It picked up well, including a usual amount of cat hair. For our stairs, I could do most from the bottom, and then I put the unit at the top to do the last few.. it’s too big and heavy to sit safely *on* the stairs.

General storage is obviously a bigger problem with cylinders compared to uprights, but overall I am impressed with this vacuum. My husband remains a firm upright dyson fan, but I would be happy to swap completely to this one.

I will update as time goes by to report whether it’s still working well.

Oral-B Pro 600 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Pro 600 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic model, 23 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a basic electric toothbrush, which is actually probably plenty for most people. There are no settings.. simply press the button, and commence brushing! It pulses slightly every 30 seconds, with a longer pulse at the end of two minutes, allowing you to optimise your brushing.

There is a light on the handle which flashes red when the charge is almost gone - the charge seems to keep for a decent amount of time.

This model comes with a cross action head, which I personally find a little harsh. I prefer the flatter daily clean one.

Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy)
Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy)
by Pierce Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Red Rising, 23 Aug 2014
This is quite a difficult book to review – there are things I want to talk about, but I don’t want to give away key points of story. Red Rising is set on Mars, in a far distant future. We’re introduced to Darrow, who’s a miner working under the surface.. mining for the elements which will help terraform the planet for humans to live on. His people have lived in the mines for generations, working as humanity’s last hope.

Until Darrow makes a discovery that this is all a lie.. Mars has been habitable for years, as have other planets, and his class, called the Reds, are simply used for slave labour. Don’t worry – that’s all on the back cover!

From here, through a series of events, Darrow is chosen to be disguised (which turns out to be an understatement!) as a Gold, the highest class. He’s taught how to be chosen for training in their command school, so he can eventually infiltrate and lead a rebellion. However, no one really knows what happens in the school, and it’s certainly not what you expect.

I will say now that my biggest problem with the book happens during the change.. there is a lot of world building during the first section, interesting characters, and emotional writing. As Darrow enters the school however, you forget they’re actually on Mars, and the book has a different feel. Plus it’s a confusing feel.. in one way it’s more YA then the beginning of the book, but it’s also harsh and violent. To me, it was as if the author wasn’t fully clear who he wanted his audience to be, and what direction he really wanted to take this first book.

However.. both parts of the book are actually really good, and I think the series has great potential. Now that the school aspect is over, there is so much scope, and I’m really excited to see what happens next. I believe the initial world building will pay off, and the author has already shown he can bring the unexpected.

Pierce has taken aspects of ancient Earth culture, and blended them with aspects of other books. Yes, there are aspects of The Hunger Games and of Ender’s Game, and even Lord of the Flies, but these are combined with echoes of Roman gods and ancient wars. They are the building blocks, which have been twisted and developed into something new. Despite my reservations early in the book, there proved to be a lot to love, and this morning I feel rather bereft now the book is finished. I look forward to getting my hands on Golden Son, and finding out where the journey is going to take me next.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20