Profile for Michelle Moore > Reviews

Content by Michelle Moore

Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Vax U85-ACLG-B Air Cordless Lift Duo Vacuum Cleaner - Blue
Vax U85-ACLG-B Air Cordless Lift Duo Vacuum Cleaner - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good features, but a few reservations - especially price., 9 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Edit: Unfortunately this stopped working after about 6 months. It turns on, but there is no suction. As a vine product, I can not return, or get another, so I can't tell if we've been unlucky, or how easy it would be to replace, but obviously I've had to drop stars.
-------
I've only used this for a few days, but I wanted to get my thoughts down, and then I'll come back to update over time. There are a range of opinions on this product - I think my overall view is a good one, but with some reservations.

This is the first cordless vacuum I've used, and I love the idea. It's so quick to just pick it up, take it where you want it, and start, with no fiddling around with cords. Yes, the batteries are fairly heavy, but there's probably no way around that. There are two provided, with a charging unit. Both batteries came with some charge, and both charged up very quickly (VAX state up to 10 hours, but it was more like 1 hour). I have one of the fully charged ones in there at the moment, I've done various shorts bursts, and it's still fine. There are 3 indicator lights on each battery, which are supposed to show percentage charge - mine is still on 3, but I'm not sure how quickly it drops. (I'll update later on that.)

The other aspect I like is that you can take the cylinder off the main unit, which makes it much easier for carrying around. It stands up by itself, so doesn't have to be carried all the time, and it's useful for when you need to get to difficult areas, or for taking up stairs etc. One of my major hates with vacuuming is trying to stairs, and this was much easier.

There does seem to be some disagreement between the reviews concerning suction. I have a VAX Max Base model, and that does seem to have more suction.. you can see the carpet being lifted up, and it seems to pull itself along with the suction! However, I find that vacuum quite difficult to steer and control, and it pulls on my arm. The VAX Air is light, and easy to move around, but the suction isn't as good. This is something each user has to weigh up - I have quite old, thin carpets, plus one hard floor, and the Air does a decent enough job for me. I like the ease of use, and portability, but if suction is more important to you, then another model may be better.

There are a few little things to mention - the cylinder has a little light on the front. I do like it, but I also wonder if it's using battery power. There's a button on the top to switch from carpet to hard floor, but it's hard to know if it's pressed or not. However, all it does is lift the brushes, so you can easily see that for yourself. There are 2 tools, one is the usual crevice / brush tool, and the other appears to be a simple extender.

I have to admit, my main reservation is the price - although this of course may change over time. I've been lucky with my review products from amazon, and I now have two different models, depending on my needs. If I had to choose, I would probably opt for this one, for it's ease of use, but at the price, it's a shame there isn't a little more suction, so it would satisfy all needs. I also think that considering it's selling points, and it's price, it should include a tool for the stairs - the crevice / brush one is ok, but I think a VAX representative did say it wasn't designed for stairs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2016 8:39 AM BST

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is probably a 4.5 for me - as I finished it, I felt there was just a little something lacking which put it in that 5* bracket for me - but after thinking about it for a few days, and discussing it with my daughter, it's pretty close.

The basic premise is that one of Sarah's twin daughters died in a accident, and for a year they grieve the loss of Lydia, and try to keep their marriage going. Due to many problems, including money, they move to an old house on a Scottish island, which has been left to Sarah's husband.

As they try to settle in to their new life, Kirstie starts insisting that she is in fact Lydia, and it was Kristie who died. From there on the book throws up many twists, turns, and questions, including whether it is possible to confuse identical twins, whether the daughter is telling the truth, or simply dealing with the loss of her sister, and finally whether Sarah herself is coping with her own grief.

This is all set against a harsh, stormy environment, and it's a dark, unsettling book. Once picked up, it's very hard to put down until you get to the final page. Highly recommended for those who enjoy psychological thrillers with an unsettling touch.

Adonit Jot Mini Fine Point Stylus - Silver
Adonit Jot Mini Fine Point Stylus - Silver
Offered by Premium Lifestyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed..., 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a mixed reaction to this - for me, the round plastic circle on the bottom is off-putting, I was expecting a fine tip. However, I'm assuming there's a risk of scratching, and the circle prevents this. My daughter, however, likes using it, especially with my paint programme.

I would imagine this has been designed for writing or drawing apps, which need a little more accuracy than your finger, or a traditional stylus. For general use, the tapping noise would be too annoying.

This is nice to look at, and I do like the fact that the lid screws onto the top, so you don't lose it. If you need accuracy for certain programmes, it may be worth a try, but for general use, it's too expensive and too noisy,

Vileda WindoMatic Window Vacuum Cleaner (UK version)
Vileda WindoMatic Window Vacuum Cleaner (UK version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Used for condensation, 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband bought a Karcher a while ago, to clear the condensation we have on our windows in the winter. There doesn't seem to be much difference between that and this Vileda one. Vileda has a little give in the neck, but the Karcher has more give in the rubber, so I really couldn't separate them.

Window vacs work really well on condensation, and can also be used for spills on hard surfaces, so are a good idea. There seems to be a few different makes around now, so it's worth checking prices. Some also come with different sized heads etc.

Ladies Cable Knit Chunky Hat - Black
Ladies Cable Knit Chunky Hat - Black
Offered by Glamour Girlz

2.0 out of 5 stars I must have a big head..., 19 Jan. 2015
This was too tight for my head :(

Childs Farm hair & body wash for dirty rascals 250ml
Childs Farm hair & body wash for dirty rascals 250ml

3.0 out of 5 stars ... this one is something I think most will either like or dislike, 19 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The smell of this one is something I think most will either like or dislike, as it's strong orange. My daughter wasn't keen at first, but then changed her mind and said she liked it. I guess it depends what you're used - and it's nice to have something with a strong smell which isn't gender-specific.

It has a strange texture, which again might suit those who don't like creamy.. it's a sort of oily-velvety texture. My daughter said it was good to play with in her hands, so she thought children might enjoy that.

I can't say it's much difference to her eczema, but then she used it in between others she likes, rather than for a period of time. If I can persuade her to stick with it, I'll edit the review.

For me, there was nothing wrong with the product, and I like it's gender-neutral approach, but I'd probably stick with other body washes which I can get from a supermarket / chemist.

A Robot In The Garden
A Robot In The Garden
by Deborah Install

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming, funny and adorable..., 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Robot In The Garden (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Set in a near future, where androids are used for various tasks, Ben wakes one day to find a robot in his garden. Compared with the human-like androids, this is an old fashioned, broken robot, and Ben has no idea where it’s come from – and his wife Amy wants him to take it to the tip.

Instead, Ben finds himself intrigued by this little robot, who calls himself Tang, and when Amy leaves him, he decides to track down his maker, to try to fix the broken cylinder inside him.

It’s impossible not to like Tang, with his childlike charm and innocence, and I completely fell in love with him. Yet there’s so much more to this book, as Tang is the not the only one who needs to be mended.

I don’t want to talk too much about the journey taken, and the unfolding story, but I will say that this is a book with both heart and humour. It’s hard to believe that such a book can be a début for the author, and I will be advising everyone to read it when it’s published in April 2015. #JoinTheTangGang

Always Discreet Small Incontinence Pads - Pack of 120
Always Discreet Small Incontinence Pads - Pack of 120

4.0 out of 5 stars Offering confidence, 5 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Somewhere between the size of a pantyliner and a small sanitary towel, these are comfortable, and stick well to underwear. They are thinner than Tena, but appear to work just as well. They're obviously suited to slight stress incontinence, and would offer just the right amount of confidence for this.

Each one comes in it's own wrapping, and the packs arrived in a plain white box. The wrapping is useful if you wish to carry a spare in your bag, and also for disposal afterwards.

Added: Amazon will only accept one review for two different products, so.. the above is for the small pads, the normal ones are a little longer, and are slightly elasticated at the sides. This gives more confidence, possibly for worsening incontinence, or for overnight use.

Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Hair Straightener
Nicky Clarke Diamond Shine Pro Salon Hair Straightener

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price range, 5 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd previously gone for fairly cheap straighteners, no more than about £50, then last year I was lucky to be able to review some GHD ones through Vine. That particular model is £156 at the moment, and although I'm sure it was priced cheaper previously, it is obviously an expensive option, putting these ones somewhere in the middle.

My GHD straighteners work really well, and have put me off buying cheaper models, but these are very close. They are longer than the GHD and therefore feel slightly more difficult to handle. However, I have fairly short hair, so shorter straighteners suit me better.

There is a variety of heat settings, I did find I needed to go higher than they recommend for my hair. The glide is not quite as smooth at the GHD, but the final result is good.

In conclusion, I would say that this is a very good product for the price range, and worth getting if you can't afford GHD.

Cole & Mason Croft 12-Jar Filled Herb and Spice Rack - Transparent
Cole & Mason Croft 12-Jar Filled Herb and Spice Rack - Transparent

4.0 out of 5 stars A good present.., 19 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I would agree with other reviewers on this one - this would make an excellent present, and looks really nice on the kitchen work top. The base is of very solid wood, and it has indentations for the pots.

The pots contain a selection of herbs and spices, and the lids offer you the option to pour or sprinkle. They are sealed when they arrive, and are easy to refill.

It is possible that people will have a different selection of herbs and spices they use regularly, so I agree it may be useful to provide some empty pots and some labels, but then there are probably other makes which provide this.

It's a good quality item, which you could give with confidence as a present, and it will look good on your own work surfaces - but may be a little expensive for the casual user.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30