Profile for Michelle Moore > Reviews

Content by Michelle Moore
Top Reviewer Ranking: 777

Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BitDefender Internet Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC)
BitDefender Internet Security 2013 - 3 User 1 Year (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 2 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Security programs can be hard to review, because you can't be sue if it's protecting against threats, or you just haven't come across any!

What I can do is give my impression for now, and I will edit my review as time goes by. I've often seen Bitdefender do well in tests in magazines etc, so decided to try it on my brand new Windows 8 laptop. It was easy to install - it gives a link for a downloadable version which didn't work, but I simply downloaded the trial version, and it gave an option to input my activation key straight away.

I accepted it's offer to run in the background without bothering me, and it's updating itself with no problems. I haven't noticed any slow down, but then it is a new laptop, so I have no comparison.

Just a note - I had problems upgrading my apps when I first started using Windows 8, and some people are reporting that this program is the cause. However, I seemed to solve the problem by running the Windows Update Troubleshooter in Windows itself, and all updates have run fine since, with Bitdefender installed.

Timbuk2 Ballistic Envelope Sleeve for Kindle Fire with 360 degree protection, Indie Plaid/Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)

4.0 out of 5 stars A little heavy, but very good protection., 2 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a Galaxy Tab 7, and my daughter has a Nexus 7, and we've tried a few different cases. I prefer to have one which I can slip the tablet out of, instead of it being enclosed, and this one does feel as if it gives very good protection. It does make it a little heavier, but I feel very confident when putting it in a larger bag.

Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
by Anne Rice

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous illustrations and story telling., 24 Nov 2012
Claudia's Story is a retelling of Interview with the Vampire, from the viewpoint of Claudia, and presented in a gorgeous graphic novel.

For those not familiar with the books, Claudia is just a child when turned into a vampire. She's looked after by Lestat and Louis, two very different vampires. As she grows in mind, but not in body, she comes to love one and hate the other, whilst questioning her life, her kind, and her future.

I would imagine that most people interested in this book will be existing fans of the series, but I came to it with a different perspective, as someone with no real knowledge.

The artwork in the book is wonderful. It has a general sepia tone to it, but with splashes of colour when blood and fire are involved, which stand out in a stunning way. There is great detail within the drawings, along with the manga feel, a great combination.

I'm fairly new to graphic novels, and I'm always concerned whether they can portray a story in enough detail, but this one has me converted. Although this is Claudia's story, I also felt Lestat and Louis were richly portrayed.

Not only does the horror come across well, thanks to the rich graphics and use of colour, but there's a sensuality to it as well.

This really should appeal to many people. For existing readers of the series, it offers a new viewpoint, and for those curious about it, it's a great introduction. Readers of graphic novels should find plenty to love, and those unsure about the format may just find themselves converted.

Stunning, rich in detail, horrific and sensual.

Cinderella's Secret Diary
Cinderella's Secret Diary
by Faye Hanson
Edition: Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars One to explore, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cinderella's Secret Diary (Diary)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty version of the well known story, which would make a lovely gift. The book jacket is padded, with raised gold detail, giving the impression of an extravagant diary. The pages are thick, and the colouring makes them look old.

Inside are diary entries from Cinderella, as well as lavish illustrations, some of which are meant to be stamps, letters etc - the kind of things someone may keep in their diary.

There are three pockets, with pull out additions, which are usually very popular. One is an invite to the ball, one is a paper pocket mirror and the last a paper tiara. The only problem is that you need string or ribbon to actually wear it.

The book would be suitable for younger age groups for reading together, but is ideal for those early readers who can take the time to explore the book in it's entirety.

R.O.GNT 0004-89 Portable Bluetooth MP3 Capsule Speaker for mobile devices (550mAh, Bluetooth, USB, 3.5 mm audio jack) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems pricey, but sound quality impressive - works well with android., 23 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleased to find a speaker which wasn't aimed just towards iphones, ipods etc. We have a wireless airplay speaker and a Philips sound system, and both work well with ipods etc, but not the android tablets which my daughter and I have.

This comes complete with a lead with 3 connectors. One goes into the speaker itself, and one is a USB - this can be connected to a computer or USB plug, and used either for power or for charging. The 3rd connector goes into a a headphone socket, which makes this far more universal. The only downfall is that the lead is very short.

Alternatively, the speaker can connect via bluetooth - this worked well, but does have a limited range.

The speaker itself folds down a little to make it smaller, but the sound is definitely affected. Once opened fully, the sound is quite impressive.

I'm not sure about price, as I don't know what to compare it with. I do doubt that I would have paid this price if buying myself, but if sound quality is important, it may be worth it.

Muddypaws Book and Soft Toy Gift Pack
Muddypaws Book and Soft Toy Gift Pack
by Parragon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for a present, 23 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To give a bit of guidance, the book is approx 7x5 inches, with 24 pages. I would say it's aimed at a young age group, with only a sentence or so on each page, and is suitable for either reading together, or reading alone. It's a cute story of a typical pup, and how he finds his name.

The toy is about 5 inches tall, and is very soft and cuddly. It would ideal for the age group the book is aimed at, but is also cute enough for older kids (and adults!) too.

The two came together in a box, and it would certainly make a nice present. It just seems a little too pricey for a full 5 stars.

(I've gotten rid of the box, but I will try to add a photo of the toy.)

Clarity
Clarity
by Kim Harrington

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mix.., 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Clarity (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has been sitting on my to-be-read pile for a while, and I now wish I hadn't left it so long, as I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'm a 30-something reader who enjoys YA, but I'm not so keen on a high school setting or sickly romances - and thankfully this avoids both!

Clarity has a gift which means she can sometimes get glimpses of past by handling an object. Her mum and brother has their own gifts, and so as a family they do readings, mainly for the summer tourist visitors. When a visitor to town is found murdered, the police ask Clarity to help, but with some reluctance. Once her own brother is accused, Clarity has to work even harder to try to prove his innocence.

This is a fairly short read compared to some, and the story moves at a good pace, making it a very good choice for those more reluctant readers. The murder storyline is well done, and Kim managed to keep me guessing right up until the end. I enjoyed Clarity's character, and the romantic side of the story is well done, never becoming overwhelming.

The story is wrapped up well, but there's enough going on to make way for the sequel. It's becoming a pet hate of mine to be left with a cliff hanger, but Kim manages to avoid this, whilst keeping me interested enough to pick up Perception when it comes out in the UK.

The Mammoth Book of Street Art: An insider's view of contemporary street art and graffiti from around the world (Mammoth Books)
by JAKe

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Insight, 21 Oct 2012
I approached this book as someone who with no real knowledge of street art. I do have a book about the Slinkachu's mini people, a concept which I love, but that was my limit. This book managed to give me a glimpse into this artform, and I enjoyed finding out a little more.

There is a large selection of artists featured, from around the world. Each one has a short intro, and then some colour pictures of their work. Some have only a page, whilst others have more. There's a wide range of styles, some of which I found rather amazing, whilst a few seemed more like traditional graffiti.

For someone with no knowledge, it gives an interesting glimpse at the street art on offer, but it would also make a good collection for those already interested.

The Mammoth Book of Slasher Movies (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of Slasher Movies (Mammoth Books)
by Peter Normanton

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Guide for the Casual Fan, 21 Oct 2012
I've just read the reviews on the US site, and there seems to be some annoyance about the films included. I came to this book as a casual fan of horror films, and the selection of films didn't seem a big deal to me, I simply enjoyed it for what it was.

In his introduction, Peter Normanton clearly states that this is not a comprehensive list, despite having over 250 films listed. By the end of his research, he had over 1000, so he's tried to come up with a good selection. One thing I did notice is that sequels don't get their own entries, but are simply mentioned under the original film. I'm sure a whole book could be written about horror movie sequels, but don't expect to find them here.

The films included are in alphabetical order, with basic info, a synopsis of the story, and some background information, such as whether they were banned, or notes on filming. They're also given a 'splatter rating'. It seems important to point out that these are 'slasher and splatter' movies, which means a lot of zombie type films are included.

There are a few little extras, such as an overview of the genre, information on some of the directors, and a list of 'video nasties' which were banned.

I enjoyed looking up the films I've watched in the past, as well as finding some I'd like to try.

The Paper Dolls
The Paper Dolls
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be a best seller, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, I must reiterate what the previous reviewer said - we also originally saw this book in Waterstones, and it came complete with the paper dolls to cut out and use. This version does not state they are included, so I'm assuming it's a Waterstones' only addition. It is a shame it's not included, because it was a lovely addition.

As for the book itself, it is lovely, and ticks every box to make it a bestseller. It's a charming story, tapping into imagination and memories, and there's just enough repetition to allow younger children to join in. The illustrations are delightful with some lovely little touches.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20