Profile for Edward > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Yeowww Tin Of Stinkies in a Sardine Tin Cat Toy, Pack of 3
Yeowww Tin Of Stinkies in a Sardine Tin Cat Toy, Pack of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars they love the stuff, 15 Dec. 2015
Absolutely incredible: the amazon box it came in was attacked. When out of said amazon box, the cats tried to it the paper that had been in the box. I (stupidly) wrapped the sardines for Christmas in a plastic bag + wrapping paper and put the parcel in the 'Christmas sack'. Next morning the parcel had been fished out of the sack and opened.
My only worry is that my cats are drug addicts: they love the stuff, go mad for it and they zonk out stoned for hours.

Victop External Slot-in USB CD RW Drive Burner Superdrive DVD-R Player for All Mac OS System 98SE ME 2000 XP Vista Win7 and other laptop Tablet Notebook
Offered by VicTop

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with my mac, 19 July 2015
Tries on my my imac: no luck. On the PC: erratic. On a note book: a bit better

Vénus beauté (Institut) [FRENCH]
Vénus beauté (Institut) [FRENCH]
Dvd ~ NathalieBaye
Offered by Bulles et Joujoux

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough comedy too much dodgy romance, 12 July 2015
Not sure if I am showing my age or lack of Frenchness (although my teenage children were similarly taken by surprise) but the 'romances' portrayed are distinctively dodgy if not down right creepy, especially the main one involving Nathalie Baye. The comedy side is good though and so is the general salon aesthetic but as soon as you step out of Vénus eyebrows start rising in a non botoxed way.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun with some reservation, 18 Dec. 2013
As many seasoned players I agree that the music is great and does bring a smile on more than one occasion. The merge function starts with a bit of a 'wow that's fun' but quickly becomes quite humdrum and I do feel that it was underexploited on the puzzle solving level.

Unlike some reviews I had read, the fact that the weapons are on loan was not a stress: I had far more money than needed and anyway given how often you can save you are hardly going to have an issue with it.

The great thing about this Zelda is also its weakness: yes it is fun and light but it is too easy and feels too much as if the target gamer is 30 to 40 years younger than me and does not have the patience to deal with the 'damn I forgot that' moment and having to trundle back to wherever.
As you can do the dungeons in any order, if you are used to bashing monsters and jumping from ledges, you might end up somewhere you are not meant to too early in the game (like Rosso's mine following my very first dungeon and there I was thinking 'cool, that's not that easy' when it was in fact a dead end and probably the hardest bit in the game) and the 'hints' the game gives you will raise a few eyebrows thanks to their obviousness. It is also annoying when the side quests as a treasure hunter require more thought than dungeons. And that 'hero' mode is a waste of time as far as I can see.

Basically the standard game will not tax your brain much but your thumbs will get a bashing with all that sword wielding which seems to be the easiest way to get what you need fast. It does not however have the 'wow' factor Skyward Sword had for an elderly gamer like I but perhaps my expectations were too high.

But as a light hearted game to mash a few monsters whilst whistling some classic tunes it is fab.

Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS)
Pokémon Y (Nintendo 3DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, love the 'joystick', 23 Oct. 2013
As a long term Pokemon player (every single game), I had both this one and the X on pre-order and as per usual it arrived spot on the release date (I once got some stuff early).
Anyway, love this one. The graphics are superb, the smoothness of the skating through the joystick is incredible, the skipping between viewpoints (bird's eye, close-up, medium distance) makes for a good immersive experience, the close-up 'wander' in some of the caves is reminiscent of Link walking about in the forest in the wii version in the way the character moves.
The distance between the gyms is much greater than usual so the gameplay is extended.
The new Pokemons are quite funny, some of the new moves are impressive. yes parts of the game drag on, but then they always have done so and what is exciting at first gets you to reach for the repel a short while later.
There is a lot of adds on which I have not tried as I suspect they are aimed at new players who seek a different experience. Same goes for the money which adds up quite dramatically if you are not going to buy new outfits etc... All I want is to complete games!

Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - White/Red
Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - White/Red
Offered by TUFFskinz

3.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly short battery life, gorgeous otherwise - broken update, 23 Oct. 2013
I got two of those, one black, one white, mainly to play Pokemon X and Y with my kid but I tried it with Mario Kart as well.

The feel of the machine is actually better than I thought. Clunky, yes, but with a nice retro look. Heavy, yes, but not that much compared to the original gb (the plastic feels the same as well). Solid, yes, so far so good and it can always double-up as a weapon.

The screens are a good size for game-play, the joystick is a dream so both a RPG and a driving game play well. I look forward to playing the new Zelda on it as the smoothness of the joystick reminds me of the joys of walking around in Twilight Princess.

Now the main drawback and word of warning: the battery life is 3.5 to 5.5 hours apparently for 3DS games.
One of the two machines (mine as luck would have it) was conking out after 2 hours and 23 minutes of play when doing very little, and after 2h and 4 minutes if 'overloading' it (so that is after a full charge and timing it from start of game to machine actually switching itself off).
Thankfully I bought two so I realised that besides being annoying, the console was clearly not quite up to scratch as my kid's one lasted longer.
I got it swapped over with Amazon (many thanks customer service) and the new one does last longer: 3.5 hours so far until the warning lights flash red, with the minimum going at the same time (no Pokemon petting, no internet, only 1 console to console battle). So an improvement but still not great if you plan to take your game on your commute. You can of course play whilst it is charging but that beats the points of portability.
I guess it has been designed with shorter game play in mind than RPG which tends to clock up the hours quickly (either that or the health and safety team found a way to control excessive game play).
As for pocket fitting. Nah.
Update: not that solid: just broke the LCD screen: the 2DS was on the sofa, a blanket was on it, I sat on it (I am not fat), it broke. Just saying as this is the first console I have ever broken, and I have had every Nintendo model and some and probably sat on most at some point.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2013 7:16 PM GMT

Sowing The Seeds - The 10th Anniversary
Sowing The Seeds - The 10th Anniversary

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try, 3 Aug. 2013
Worth buying if only for the Bruce Springsteen / Steeger two voices version of a Ghost of Tom Joad. Besides that some awful, awful songs, but hey...

Dynaband - Purple - workout resistance band
Dynaband - Purple - workout resistance band
Offered by notonlybowls

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs some, 18 April 2013
I have been using these for years, the purple and the grey. I am not a fitness freak but as I spent a fair amount of time sitting I often feel like having a good stretch, etc. The bands really help stretch your shoulders back into place and do some minimal limbering up when feeling stiff. As for the length: I am 5'11" and the length is right for me. Ideally you should be able to put one end under your foot with a bit of extra, round one hand with your arm down and the band be straight but not 'pulled'. Then you curl your biceps up: hardly going to be resistance work is it if it is much longer. I use the purple for the arms and back and the grey for 'heavier' work (legs and abs) as I am female and stronger at the bottom than the top. I would be a bit nervous using the green or pink as they might snap! On another note: they last for quite a few years if you keep then folded and dry. you can even put a bit of talcum powder on them now on and again. I am just about to replace my grey for the second time, and I have been on my third purple for 4 years now (lost one though) since they came out (in the late 80's I think?), so all in all, good life span for a very cheap bit of kit.

New Power Soul
New Power Soul

4.0 out of 5 stars Two top tracks make it worth it, 2 Feb. 2013
This review is from: New Power Soul (Audio CD)
Two absolutely excellent tracks on it that you will listen to over and over again: 'The One' and the 'Wasted Kisses' (secret-type track at nb 49, one of two secret tracks I adore, with Iggy Pop's Girls of NY).

Either of those make it worth buying this album.

Come
Come

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too sleek, 2 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Come (Audio CD)
No massive stand out on this album (but at least two if not three stand down), apart for the fact that there is 11min + song ('come') on this which if you like to time your journeys by long tracks (or get value for money for your download) is great but I prefer Isaac Hayes for that kind of thing.

The problem with this album is yes, some is good ('Come', 'Letitgo', 'Dark') (not 'orgasm' or 'papa' or the absolutely dreadful 'solo' though), yes it is very polished, yes it is Prince, no doubt about that but I find it about as edgy as what I imagine dinner music to be. The more I listen to it, the more I am convinced that the master plan of this album was to make us grateful that the shorter the song the crappier the song.

Success guaranteed: get rid of your guests by playing the three short songs on a loop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3