Profile for LHK > Reviews

Mini Micro scooter Childrens scooter with T-bar handle - Blue
Mini Micro scooter Childrens scooter with T-bar handle - Blue
Offered by Machebelcarrello

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 15 Feb. 2013
I got my elder son one for his second birthday. Within weeks, he was scooting over a mile each way to nursery and back again. My younger son started to have a go on it, successfully, at around 14 months. He's now 21 months and can scoot and steer quite well. This scooter is without doubt the best thing I have ever bought my son. It is brilliantly designed, speeds up on-foot journey times no end, and encourages co-ordination, balance and exercise. I am such a fan that I am going to get one for my (39th!) birthday, and my second son will be getting one for his second birthday. I can't wait to go out scooting together! Just one note of caution: a couple of medical friends have commented that they've seen some nasty injuries in A&E from these scooters. Please get your children to wear a helmet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 8:31 PM BST

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Rubbish, 15 Jun. 2011
How anyone thinks that this is an acceptable way to raise a baby, I simply do not understand. I can see the appeal to women who are used to routines and an organised life. However, the arrival of a baby is a time to forget all that and to tune in with the amazing little creature that's grown inside you for nine months and to be led by them. I didn't buy the book as I knew I'd hate it, but have read parts of it at friends' houses - so glad I didn't waste any money on it. I did all the things Gina tells you not to do: shared a bed with and had our son in our room for months, fed on demand etc. My son is a confident, bright boy (totally conversant by his second birthday and has only ever had one short tantrum) an amazing sleeper, still sleeping 11.5 - 12 hours a night (plus a daytime nap); by contrast, the only people I know whose children do not sleep well are those who followed Gina's advice. No doubt because bedtime became a stressful, rather than calming time, in the hope that they conformed to Gina's rules. This book is clearly written by someone who has not had children and does not understand the beauty of submission to a different, less ordered life for that precious time when a baby becomes accustomed to being in the world, rather than in their mother's womb.

Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
by Deborah Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, but not a solution to everything, 4 Sept. 2009
Like many other new mothers, I have ended up sharing a bed with my son (now 12 weeks) out of exhaustion in the middle of the night. And, like many other mothers, I find few things more wonderful than waking up next to him. It was fantastic to find a book which told me that it was beneficial to do this; I am at a loss as to why co-sleeping is quite so frowned upon, as it is a very natural thing to do.

That said, the book does go too far in places. Ideas such as the reason why the US and Russia are the most aggressive nations on earth (it's a little out-dated) is because it is in these countries where co-sleeping rates are lowest, demonstrate that the book's agenda is clear, and not quite as scientifically based as it appears. I expect that most members of the Taliban slept in their parents' beds as that's what happens in Central Asia - and look how they turned out!

I also think that there is far more to bringing up happy, confident children than co-sleeping, whereas both the book and other reviewers seem to think that co-sleeping guarantees this. I was left to cry as a baby, as was my husband, as that was what our mothers thought was best in the mid-1970s. However, we are both happy, secure and independent people, and apart from a couple of blips as teenages, always have been. We both have wonderful parents whose love was unending and unquestioned, and who always treated us fairly and with respect.

Finally, the book doesn't really deal with day time napping. My son sleeps brilliantly in a sling (Tinokis, an Isreaeli brand - fantastic) and I love love love carrying him around. However, I can't carry him all the time, as the book advocates. It's just not practical given our current lifestyles where, rightly or wrongly, we have so much else to deal with on a daily basis. It might be different if we were part of a jungle community somewhere and didn't have homes to run, and jobs away from the home to return to at some stage. And, twelve weeks in, I really do need a bit of time without my son strapped to me, but this book makes me feel that I might fail as a parent for encouraging my son to sleep on his own.

At the end of the day, the message that physical touch etc is a necessary thing for a new baby is a good one, and, when I can, I carry my son instead of putting him in his buggy. But, if you feel you can't do as the book suggests, then please remember that there are many other very important aspects of raising happy kids, and co-sleeping is not the be all and end all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 8:12 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars pc use, 17 April 2007
The i-station has been a great little travel toy and is useful for a bedroom. I've had no problems with it.

However, I understand that you can also connect it to the pc and use it as a normal speaker -but I simply cannot get this to work. Which lead is it that you need to plug the i-station in to the pc? Any help appreciated!

Thanks