Profile for jillyflower > Reviews

Death by Revelation
Death by Revelation
by K. M. Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't appeal, 31 July 2015
This review is from: Death by Revelation (Paperback)
Guess it's quite well written overall, but I certainly wasn't gripped by it, couldn't wait to finish it, which I only bothered to do as I was due to discuss the book with my niece! I am surprised by the four very good reviews on Amazon.com, but maybe it appeals to Americans more than it did to me, an Englishwoman. The so-called 'story within the story' was almost irrelevant, and the leaps/coincidences seemed to be just that, rather than considered investigation, or clever detection. I would not recommend it to anyone, unless you like pretentious writing and wooden characters. Sorry, not my cup of tea at all.

100% Cotton Sateen 210TC Vintage floral Reversible Design Duvet Cover Set including Pillow Case (Green, Double)
Offered by AAH RETAILS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 23 Feb. 2015
Excellent product, much better than I expected for the price, and I didn't realise that I was not only receiving the usual quilt cover and two pillowcases, but a fitted sheet as well. Very pretty fabric, and very good price. On my bed at present, haven't washed them yet, so can't comment on that, but have no reason to expect anything untoward! Arrived extremely promptly and I would definitely recommend.

A Certain Age: Women's Monologues v. 1 (BBC Audio Collection)
A Certain Age: Women's Monologues v. 1 (BBC Audio Collection)
by Lynne Truss
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Aug. 2014
Love these monologues. They are funny and sad at the same time. I have been listening to them in the car and I am sure other motorists must think I am barmy as I have been laughing out loud at some parts. As expected, beautifully written, and the readers have been very well chosen. I have not previously liked Janine Duvitsky but she does a fantastic job in "The Wife", clever story wonderfully read, subtle but so worth 'reading between the lines'. I am surprised someone has given only one star, perhaps this person is not of "a certain age" and therefore not able to appreciate fully what a great set of characters Lynne Truss has produced. Anyway, I would recommend to anyone interested in well-written witty mini stories.

La Isla Women's Full Coverage Underwire Non Padded Racerback Front Closure Bra Beige 40 C
Offered by La Isla

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, good price, 16 Jun. 2014
I have now bought two of these bras, one being this one and the other a black one. If you are looking for an inexpensive racer-back bra, this is a very good buy. In a lot of ways I find it more comfortable than 'conventional' bras, as the straps don't slide off your shoulders as conventional ones do. Good coverage and support. Both this one and the black one arrived extremely promptly and well packaged. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Longbourn
Longbourn
by Jo Baker

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Longbourn (Paperback)
Thankfully I didn't buy this book (sorry, Amazon), but got it out of the library. I read it at my niece's suggestion, as we are going to meet up for coffee to discuss the book (ostensibly!!!) To prepare myself I re-read Pride and Prejudice to remind myself of the story in detail, and for me the contrast between the two was vast. Whilst I do appreciate that P&P is not representative of society as a whole, it is not meant to be. I totally agree with most of the negative reviews about Longbourn, too much dwelling on the nastier aspects of the servants lives, but the main problem for me was the complete lack of humour and wit which abounds in the Jane Austin novel (and, indeed, in all of her novels). I don't entirely agree that the Jo Baker novel is badly written - I've read a lot worse, but I would have given up after the first few pages had I not had good reason to continue. Read it if you must, but I certainly can't recommend it.

Les Anis De Flavigny Liquorice Drops 50 g (Pack of 2)
Les Anis De Flavigny Liquorice Drops 50 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 16 Jun. 2014
Super little sweets, lovely little tin which I shall use for storage when I finish the sweets. Expensive if you just want the sweets, but not if you want the tin to use as well. I would recommend, and expect to purchase more in future.

Black 3pin Micro USB UK CE Approved 1000 MaH High Power Fast Mains Charger For HUAWEI ASCEND G510 (XL) Mobile Cellular Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 16 Jun. 2014
Not an exciting purchase, but it works exactly as it should, arrived extremely quickly, well packaged, I am very happy with it and would recommend to anyone in need of such an item.

Les Anis De Flavigny Aniseed Drops 50 g (Pack of 2)
Les Anis De Flavigny Aniseed Drops 50 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little sweeties and super little tins, 9 Jun. 2014
The sweets are very tiny but last a long time, they are a nice medium-strength aniseed flavour. The tin is beautiful, and I am (almost) looking forward to eating all the sweets and using the tin for any practical use, such as storing earrings, pins, or maybe some other sweets that come in boring old cardboard packs! At first sight the sweets are expensive but if you like the tins they will not be expensive in the long run. These aniseed ones are in a pale green tin, I have also bought the rose ones in a pink tin, and the liquorice ones in a black tin, only the violet ones to go (lilac tin, I think!) All great, love them.

365 Free Motion Quilting Designs
365 Free Motion Quilting Designs
by Leah C Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, as expected, 9 Jun. 2014
My son and daughter-in-law bought this for my birthday - at my request, as it was rather more expensive than I would normally buy for myself! It is just as good as I expected it to be, as I have watched many of Leah's videos on YouTube. However, it is NOT an instruction book for free-motion quilting, you have to watch the videos to see exactly how Leah does each intricate pattern. The book has full-size plates of each pattern, and any reasonably experienced free-motion quilter will be able to see how each pattern is done, and they are beautiful pictures in their own right. I am thrilled with the book and already planning a series of pieces using some of my favourite patterns. But do be aware of the fact that you really need to use the book in conjunction with the YouTube videos as well. A superb book, thank you again, S&L!

Emartbuy® Butterfly Garden Water Resistant Neoprene Soft Zip Case/Cover suitable for Microsoft Surface Tablet ( 10 -11 Inch eReader / Tablet / Netbook )

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 May 2014
Glad I paid just that little bit more for this neoprene cover. It is exactly the right size for my Microsoft Surface, and is very pretty as well. Am very happy to carry it with me whenever I want to take my tablet out, or it would easily fit into a large handbag if that suited me better. Very good buy, would recommend to anyone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3