Profile for Dandelion > Reviews

AmiguruME
AmiguruME
by Allison Hoffman

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: AmiguruME (Paperback)
Made a mini version of my husband using this book and he loves it! Clear instructions and you really can go wild and create anyone you want. Brilliant idea

Merchant & Mills Sewing Book
Merchant & Mills Sewing Book
by Merchant & Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a lovely coffee table book, 12 Jun. 2014
Just not sure I'll get much use from it. Really beautiful, but not really learned much from it and not keen on the projects in it.

Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking
by Tilly Walnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book for beginners, 12 Jun. 2014
I absolutely recommend this book for all sewers. I am an advanced beginner, I would say and I have made the blouse (love it, wear it to work and have already bought fabric to make it twice more!) and the Megan Dress. The instructions and photographs are really clear. Occasionally when I start to doubt myself, I notice that Tilly has written a helpful comment, like "don't worry about those raw seam allowances on show" which give me the confidence to carry on.
Really pleased with this book. Beautiful layout, clear instructions, builds you up and most importantly, wearable patterns. It's the first time I've ever bought a craft book (and I have lots!) and will actually make every project.

Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts! Lacy Crochet (Crafts)
Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts! Lacy Crochet (Crafts)
by Chronicle Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped..., 13 Oct. 2012
Just received this book. There's a few things I might make. They're certainly pretty. i like the scissors case and the coin purse. i'll probably have a go at the doily. However, I was expecting this books to have a real Japanese feel and contain different, delicate, quirky patterns. I'd say its not really unique and reminds me of a few other books I already own...
Also, beware, the patterns are mainly given in diagram form, with a few written instructions,, which I'm not keen on and am certainly not confident with. I'll give them a whirl and maybe I'll be surprised... But at the moment, I'm not overwhelmed with excitement.

Crochet Workshop: Learn How to Crochet with 20 Inspiring Projects
Crochet Workshop: Learn How to Crochet with 20 Inspiring Projects
by Erika Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous pattern ideas, 6 Oct. 2012
So far I've made the slipper boots, the snood and am halfway through the gloves. I love all the ideas and the classy choice of good quality, often British wool. Easy to follow patterns. I've been crocheting for about 8 months and found that I've learned new things from this book. New techniques are clearly explained and I've built my confidence.
Love this book. Modern and tasteful.

Geek Chic Crochet - 35 retro-inspired projects that are off the hook
Geek Chic Crochet - 35 retro-inspired projects that are off the hook
by Nicki Trench

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely ideas, but not sure how much I'll actually make, 6 Oct. 2012
It only arrived today, so obviously I've not made anything yet. I bought it as I've already got two Nikki trench crochet books and really rated the accuracy and simplicity of the patterns. Was great for when I was first learning. This one appealed because it can be hard to find modern, fashionable crochet patterns.

Positives: I'm pleased to see some more complex patterns in this book as well as some basic ones. A real variety of skill level is catered for. It's a very pretty book, with nice photographs. I love all the cardigans in the book and the long socks. I'll definitely have a go at those and the motif jumper. The Peter Pan collar cardigan is bang on trend as is the lacy collar. The dress on the front cover is beautiful. I'd wear that. I'd love to have a go at the tassel cushion but can't help but think that the time it would take to make and the cost of the wool render it more sensible to buy a ready made one from a shop!

Negatives: The patterns on some pages are written in a small font against a dark background which might make them a little difficult to follow. And some of the patterns for the clothing items only go up to a size 12-14. I'm a 14-16, so was disappointed by this. A couple of the patterns are dated. I hate the crop top!

All in all, it's a lovely book and well worth the money. But I doubt I'll use all of the patterns.