Profile for SwissMac > Reviews

Personal Reputation Management: Making the Internet Work for You
Personal Reputation Management: Making the Internet Work for You
by Louis Halpern

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly dated, 8 April 2014
This book is fairly good in parts, particularly If you are planning a website or other web presence for the first time. Where it falls down however is in its coverage of social media, where reputations are much more likely to be damaged without effort. Still, as there are few books available in this genre, at least this book gives some coverage to a topic more young people seem to be making huge mistakes with.

Life Energy: Using the Meridians to Unlock the Hidden Power of Your Emotions
Life Energy: Using the Meridians to Unlock the Hidden Power of Your Emotions
by John Diamond
Price: 9.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, proselytising style, 8 April 2014
Worst book I've read for years. I bought it to get an idea about Meridians and the energy flows within the body. Instead, I got bombarded with quotes from the Bible on nearly every page. If I had wanted a book about Bible studies I would have searched under "Bible studies". As a result, I felt conned by the author, and if there was anything of what I was looking for in the book it was not written in an open minded or approachable way. I gave up reading it because it was almost as if the author was trying to say that the only reason for meridians and energy was because of what the Bible says. On top of that it was just plain boring to read!

Meet Your Happy Chemicals: Dopamine, Endorphin, Oxytocin, Serotonin
Meet Your Happy Chemicals: Dopamine, Endorphin, Oxytocin, Serotonin
by Loretta Graziano Breuning PhD
Price: 5.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, easy read, 8 April 2014
You don't need to be a scientist to benefit from reading this book. Anyone can! Most popular science books are either too patronising, or actually miss out important information. Ms Breuning does neither. She clearly explains how our thoughts and habits, our desires and fears, and our very motivations are affected by how our brains record our past experiences - and how these four "Happy Chemicals" are involved.

Not only that, but the book provides methods of changing how we react, what we fear, how to deal with unpleasant experiences, how to gain control of more of our lives. The 45 day ten minute a day plan to change a bad habit into a good new habit is just one of many great ideas the book contains. I liked the book so much I bought two more and gave them as gifts!

Panasonic ES-RT53-S511 Wet and Dry 3 Blades Mens Shaver
Panasonic ES-RT53-S511 Wet and Dry 3 Blades Mens Shaver
Offered by Ukdapper
Price: 59.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as a blade, 23 Jan 2014
All in all, I would have hoped for better shaves and less mystery. This is my first electric razor, courtesy of Gilette's line of disposable razors constantly changing, replacing good and efficient blade razors with rubbish ones that don't work well and which need replacing more often in order to sell me more razors per year. So I decided to get off the expensive treadmill and try an electric razor for the first time in 40 years of shaving. Please read this review in the knowledge that It is possible that I just haven't "learned" to shave electrically yet...

To begin with I got nowhere, but now can at least get a reasonable shave on the flat parts of my face, like my cheeks. Sadly, under my chin and all along my jaw line it is a different matter. There I seem to have no luck removing the stubble evenly. This appears to be because you need to hold the blades at a 90 deg angle to your face, but the contours around the jawline change so much this is practically impossible to do. It also doesn't seem to cope with the soft tissues of my neck very well as they are rarely well cut.

It is described as a "Wet and Dry" razor. Well, dry, it hurts in use. Wet, without gel or foam, seems to be OK, but after a while the blades smell musty despite good rinsing and airing after use. I did try once with foam, but that was a disaster - very messy and it seemed to stop the shaving process. Yes, I did read the instruction booklet, but no mention was made anywhere about the best way to use the razor, other than how to hold it - not what they mean by "Wet and Dry". Although there is a brush provided with two lengths of bristles, nowhere does the manual say which parts of the razor should be cleaned with which end. Also, no mention of oil for the moving parts.

Even You Can Learn Statistics: A Guide for Everyone Who Has Ever Been Afraid of Statistics
by David M. Levine
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting to read, 10 Dec 2012
I bought this as a present for someone, but I liked it so much I'm going to have to order another one for me! I actually got excited reading it because it shows you great examples of when to use different methods - and for instance, charts and graphics are covered in Chapter 2 instead of right at the back as an afterthought. I've been using statistics professionally for decades and this book is going to be a great revision course for some techniques I may have forgotten, as well as giving me useful new ways to use existing methods.

Actually I'm going to buy more than one extra copy because of all the mathematical skills, a knowledge of statistics is probably the most important one outside of simple arithmetic. I've never needed to use algebra, calculus, or trigonometry but statistics confront us every day in the media, at work, and from the mouths of politicians. If nothing else, get this book to see who's telling fibs, who doesn't really 'get it' and who is spouting, as Churchill put it, "terminological inexactitudes".

Berlitz Language: Rapid Italian Vol. 2 (Berlitz Rapid)
Berlitz Language: Rapid Italian Vol. 2 (Berlitz Rapid)
by Berlitz
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Volume 1, 20 Nov 2012
Having enjoyed learning Italian very quickly and with a perfect Italian accent from Berlitz Language: Rapid Italian Vol. 1 (Berlitz Rapid) in the Earworm series which I gave a 5 Star review to I was hoping for a similar experience with Volume 2. Sadly I have so far been very disappointed.

The first thing I noticed is that the sound quality has been 'fiddled' with so it sounds tinny and cheap. When playing the CD in the car I now can only stand five minutes at a time or I get a headache, whereas I can play Volume 1 for 20 minutes or more quite easily. I am not sure if they have also changed actors voices on this one, or if the same actors both had colds when they recorded it, but they sound terrible - especially the English voice who can't even pronounce English very well. There is no "connection" between the two actors either, it sounds just like they are reading their lines, and badly at that. This impacts on the ability to focus on learning.

The music has changed as well, the rhythm has gone, it sounds plain awful to my musical ear and whereas in Volume 1 I found the rap rhythms beneficial for learning the words (I normally dislike rap music) the background music here is too fast, the overall pace and tempo is now so quick there are no spaces between words to pick them out or to repeat them easily. This means you don't learn the Italian as easily. It really feels like being force fed, and the brain doesn't work like that!

When the Volume One format was so good, why did they change it? They have wrecked a brilliant idea with this appalling production. I am seriously thinking of asking for my money back.

Berlitz Language: Rapid Italian Vol. 1 (Berlitz Rapid)
Berlitz Language: Rapid Italian Vol. 1 (Berlitz Rapid)
by Berlitz
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 10.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest way to learn a language ever!, 20 Nov 2012
This CD is perfect. I can't find anything bad to say about it (no I'm not the author or connected in any way with the publishers). I learned basic Italian so quickly by just playing it in the car on the way to work and back each day - and I learned to speak with a real Italian accent! :-) I can't recommend the CD highly enough. The repetition really works, and the beat of the music (which has a quality feel to its production) really keeps you interested.

Our brains have TWO language centres, one in each hemisphere. One is used for normal talking, the other is used for singing and music. This CD uses both of them - it's like turbocharged learning! The topics chosen are very useful as well, how to find places, how to order food and drinks, find a hotel, railway station, police station, greetings and so on. What makes the CD so much more interesting is the sexy voice of the Italian woman, and the obvious hint of flirtation she has with the English actor giving the English sentences and phrases which she translates. There is enough of a pause for you to get involved too, and after a while you feel as if she is flirting with YOU too! They both say the words in different ways - happy, bored, couldn't-care-less and so on as well, so you won't get fooled when someone replies in a tired voice which sounds different to the one you learned.

If you get no other Italian learning resource, get this one. It is simply brilliant! Effortless, well produced, rewarding.

First Thousand Words in Italian (Usborne First 1000 Words)
First Thousand Words in Italian (Usborne First 1000 Words)
by Heather Amery

3.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at children more than all beginners, 20 Nov 2012
This is clearly a child's book. All illustrations include children, the party section doesn't include any alcoholic drinks, there is no office or normal workplace (although there is a farm, a circus and a zoo). If you want to teach your Italian speaking child how to read and write in Italian, it's a great book; less good for adult beginners though.

Having said that, you will learn some useful words, together with their respective articles, but for adults, do get it with something else such as the Earworms Rapid Italian Vol. 1: 200+ Essential Words and Phrases Anchored into Your Long Term Memory with Great Music (Musical Brain Trainer) Italian CD which has a lot of more useful everyday stuff for grown ups including finding places, restaurants, lost items, calling a taxi and so on).

FileMaker Pro Design & Scripting for Dummies
FileMaker Pro Design & Scripting for Dummies
by Timothy Trimble
Price: 16.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to be used to learn scripting, 29 Jan 2011
If you want a book to learn about scripting in Filemaker, this book isn't it. I'm a Filemaker Newbie and what scripting information it does contain just doesn't go far enough. If you're looking for a starter guide you're going to need to buy another book very soon - so why not save some dosh and get the better book straightaway?

I was attracted to the Dummies book by the word "Scripting" in the title which suggests this subject is a main topic. However, dipping into the content shows a distinct lack of detail. I mean, it doesn't even cover CASE statements, a very useful form of IF statement which are far easier to write out, whereas more generalist books such as "Filemaker Pro, The Missing Manual" from Pogue Press and Ray Cologon's "Filemaker Pro Bible" provide far more information on this subject and on scripting in general, as well as starting from a beginner's perspective.

In this book's favour though is quite a nice intro to the basic elements of Filemaker, but then, don't all Filemaker books aimed at beginners offer this?

As for the writing style, well, it's a Dummies book. Just don't be misled by the title.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2011 2:52 PM BST

King Arthur (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
King Arthur (Director's Cut) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars King Arthur really was a Romano-Briton, 22 April 2009
This is an excellent film, with some great action, and fine acting. I can only surmise those who say otherwise expected pretty men in tights and fainting ladies, neither of which were remotely historically accurate for the period. This film is as good as Gladiator, and Clive Owen a match for Russell Crowe.

This film really is based on the latest archaelogical finds, finds which I have read about and seen on Open University documentaries. In post Roman Britain, there really was a powerful Romano-Briton warlord who kept the dark ages at bay for some decades using the fighting tactics learned in the technologically advanced Roman Army. He is also covered in at least one PhD Thesis at Oxford University.

I thought Clive Owen played the part of "King Arthur" (as only later writers referred to the warlord as) with just the right balance between strength and vulnerability, displaying both the strong leadership of an important leader in hostile times as well as his silent battle of faith and belief in "higher things". He also managed to convey the feelings of loss such a person must have felt at the time when the Roman Empire was self-destructing as a result of disease, politics, and attacks from outside.

Battle scenes were convincing, there were lots of nice (and not so nice) historic details eg the immuring of some innocents, the architecture, the clothing, the use of wax tablets (although not the ink and wood notelets found at Vinlandia) and the illustration of how power was by this time transferred from the old Roman guard to the Church in which Bishops were the new Lords and the Pope the new Emperor.

This is one of the best films I have seen in a long time, and if you want to watch an exciting and highly watchable film that leaves you in a cold sweat of excitement, buy this now. You really won't be disappointed as you learn just how wrong the old Errol Flynn style Camelot and Arthurian legend really is.

Page: 1 | 2