Profile for Avada Kedavra > Reviews

You Instead [DVD]
You Instead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luke Treadaway
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it but I'm not overly impressed to be honest., 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: You Instead [DVD] (DVD)
I remember when the trailer came out a few years ago and I really wanted to see it but I never got round to it. I love Natalie Tena she's a brilliant actress so I thought, why not? I ordered one and it came reasonably quickly (slow for Amazon standards) but I finally got round to watching it and was rather disappointed.

I want to say first off that the sound quality is not great, the characters sound like they're mumbling ALL the way through it and the music is either really clear and loud but when they sing it sounds like mumbling and can be hard to make out what they're saying even when playing in silence acoustically or on stage it is VERY quiet. Natalia is an amazing singer and if you listen to her on youtube you can tell that instantly she is perfect for the role of Morello.

She and her American 'friend' don't perform much.

It's very stereotypical, quick to happen and predictable but it's good. I love Bobby the manager best he's a typical fall-down drunk and he's very funny to watch.

I suspect the accents are fake (I don't know the male actors) but they sound fake American.

It's nice for a late night or just something to watch provided you can possibly do something else but if, like me, you couldn't hear a word they're saying turn it up to full volume and strain your ears and don't take your eyes off the screen even for one second of you'll miss it.

The name comes from the song, you instead.

Overall not a bad buy but also not a brilliant DVD, will watch it again sometimes but not one of my favourites.

The Sims 3 (PS3)
The Sims 3 (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sims 3 is yet another exciting installment that will take over your life., 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Sims 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Like with any game from Sims Bustin' Out onwards, this will take over your life, got something planned to do that day? Don't switch this amazing game on because you won't get anything done!

The features from the PC version have been cleaned up, the graphics are better and there are so many more options to choose from.
Extra features:
Better town map.
More options for wall paper, paint, flooring etc
Game is more realistic now.
People will actually come to your door.
No lag and the game doesn't stick in places.
Bugs and glitches are fixed.
Easier to save.
More control options.

The only problem I had was with the amount of controls it was a big switch from PC to PS3 versions but I got used to it very quickly you just have to explore the options and check the manual if needed but you pick it up soon enough. I have the PC, 3DS AND 360 versions as well and this is by far the better option due to the graphics, the quality and all above mentioned. The controls are MUCH easier than on Xbox I gave up on that version because it was just too difficult to use and there were still bad glitches so PS3 is definitely the way.

It's an amazing game, I can't fault it and for the price it's incredible. Just so addictive I love it. Recommended to anyone who loves the Sims!!

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer 1)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer 1)
by Michelle Hodkin

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just.... AMAZING.... no, seriously, memorable. MASTERPIECE., 22 Aug 2013
This book is amazing and I'd like to point out it is a TEEN book (ages 13-14+) however I'm reading it at 20.
WARNINGS:
There are swear words in this.
There is a scene that is close to rape.
There are some scenes which could be classes as mildly sexual so if you're buying for a younger reader or these offend you then take that into consideration.
This is an utterly amazing story, as other reviewers have said it is enchanting and magical.

The story centres around Mara Dyer, a young girl who is in a mysterious accident when the structure of a long abandoned mental asylum collapses, how does it happen? She cannot remember only that it killed her childhood best friend and the girl trying to take her away. (Rachel and Claire) along with her then-boyfriend, Jude. The funerals are held even though they have difficulty finding his remains and she ends up with PTSD and they move to Miami.

Mara starts having hallucinations, she sees her friends everywhere, she sees things that don't happen, she sees deaths before they happen and when she wants bad things to happen to people. She thinks she's going crazy but a mysterious British boy named Noah can help.

I will leave the rest of the story for you to find out but the end has a SHOCKING twist, it has more and more suspense with each page. More than worth the money as soon as I finished reading I ran out to buy the sequel (The Evolution of Mara Dyer) and the final book in the trilogy is out February 2014. I can't wait!

This book is going to be displayed on my favourites shelf, I ADORE it. It's amazing and 'haunting' like the advert on the cover says. Magical, mysterious, it makes you feel like you're floating through a misty fog in water, it's so unusual, plenty of psychic stuff too.

Five star rating for the book, five star for everything. You or your teens will LOVE it!!

The Hunger Games Tribute Guide (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games Tribute Guide (Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Scholastic

5.0 out of 5 stars May the odds be EVER in your favour :), 22 Aug 2013
THAT SOMEWHERE HAS THIS BOOK IN STOCK BECAUSE YOU NEED TO GET THIS RIGHT NOW!!

As soon as I realised (just a couple of days ago) that this book was selling her I ordered one immediately (used- never read) for £2.81 including delivery (book itself was a penny) from a marketplace seller, shipped and arrived a day earlier than it was supposed to come and I'm very happy.

This book gives a bit more of a flat guide to the reaping, the games and the tributes. Printed well and in colour it goes through both the book and the movie genres of The Hunger Games talking about the original 24 tributes of the 74th annual Hunger Games.

This book is fun, interesting, a smaller and thicker book than you'd expect (not a wavy thin, sticker-type book)

This book is fabulous and perfect for any fan, I know this isn't the books fault but it gives no names of most of the tributes (the ones that are not the main) it gives a weapon of choice, name, district, age and height printed on quality paper in colour slotted in order through the districts (Starting with Glimmer from District 1)

I adore this it gives more info and help pointing things out that fans of the movie who haven't read the book would find very useful. (I have read the book though so it only reinforces that is written there).

Very nice, worth the money and the read, perfect gift or a nice little treat for yourself to go on display and love forever :3

LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (PS3)
LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (PS3)
Offered by games-n-console-land

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so crazy and unusual it's brilliant!, 22 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I want to start off by saying I love this game.
It starts off as the Philosophers stone in a simple world with no verbal communication, everything is made from lego, the graphics are QUALITY and you run through a series of challenges to complete it. The challenges are not overly tough but some can be confusing especially when you get no real instructions on what to do, it's more of a 'think for yourself' sort of game with an indication of what to do. The Philosophers stone is quite short and so is the CoS but it grows longer and more challenging from the PoA and onwards. You may complete the challenges but finding those house crests, gold bricks, plenty of lego nuts and other collectibles is hard work.

Pros:
Fun, keeps you busy, entertaining.
It's a cute game.
Suitable for all ages (I'm playing at 20)
Perfect for people who were/ still are fans of the more original lego blocks and people and Harry Potter fans too as it combines them.
You can unlock LOADS of playable characters.
Fly a broom and brew potions and learn new spells.
Different parts of the castle unlock as the game goes through the books.
It's a good price.
Great graphics.

Cons:
Sometimes you would like a little indication on what to do.
The game levels should be longer.

Uglies
Uglies
by Scott Westerfeld

1.0 out of 5 stars A tragic disappointment, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Uglies (Paperback)
I was really excited to read this and after debating on whether to buy it or not I eventually did and I regret it.

The writing itself wasn't bad, the storyline was somewhat thought-provoking and it was a nice idea that does relate sort of to how people are now with physical appearance but this story overall is not good.

I kept feeling like there was a big mystery to it all, I kept feeling that there were going to be cliffhangers and something happening at the end to give you and enormous shock. Was there? No, nothing happened and it felt like the author was trying to write cliffhangers but they were so weak and brittle they disappointed me every time.

There was only one exciting piece that lasted all of two pages in the story and that was when the runaway doctors talked to Tally. The rest was padding and mostly about them travelling such as what bend they took on the hoverboard, how much food they had brought/ were taking, how much they didn't like the 'Pretties' it was all the same thing repeated over and over again and it left nothing to the imagination at all.

Pros:
It would be a good reading book for a girl aged between about 10-12 for school or when she's out and about.
It does provoke some thoughts about how our world is entirely central on appearance and being told what to like from a young age and how to look.
The concept is fairly interesting.
The price on Amazon is cheap.

Cons:
No cliffhangers.
No exciting ending.
Read the back cover and you've practically read the whole story anyway.
Nothing shocking happens, no drama it's all VERY PREDICTABLE and stereotypical.
It bored me so I read it as quickly as possible not wanting to leave it unfinished.
It isn't worth the money.

Is this a good read? No.
Should you be excited and rush to buy it? NO.
Will I be reading the sequel? NO.

I just wanted to point out I read this at 20 and I read A LOT of 'teen' fiction books and I have to say this one was right at the lowest end of the scale, whether I am too old for it or it just is that bad are up to you to decide. I do not recommend this book to anyone though.

Dumb and Dumber [DVD] [1994]
Dumb and Dumber [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Jim Carrey

5.0 out of 5 stars This film NEVER gets old and never becomes dull, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dumb and Dumber [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
No matter how many times you watch it. This film is incredible, funny, entertaining, you can watch it over and over again in a row and not grow tired. The price is great, the delivery was superb and I just can't fault it!
Ordered from Amazon along with a game and they arrived the next day on free standard Uk delivery, what could be better than that?!

You should buy this film, no, seriously, why are you reading reviews when you could be excitedly waiting by the door for it to be dropped through?

Mock-
YE-AH
Yeah
Yeah!

Go buy it now.

Changeling: 1 (Order of Darkness 1)
Changeling: 1 (Order of Darkness 1)
by Philippa Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Terribly offensive but it is a brilliant book, 22 Aug 2013
This just has to be one of those books that actually the storyline isn't absolutely outstanding, the writing isn't perfect, the characters are not intelligent, witty, funny, unique or anything but as soon as you start reading you'll go from cover to cover in a day. Why? Because it's entertaining, for some reason it draws you in. I feel like this book has been written (and I know it's not) as a tester series for the topics, the historical content isn't quite accurate as other people have said but that really does not bother me in the slightest.

The characters? They are very dim, they are obsessive, the treatment of women is horrendous and the only person with any talent or brain power is the 'slave girl'.
The book does not progress all that far but I'm hoping when I read the sequel now 'stormbringer' that it gets further, it's good enough to buy the sequel as it draws you in without being difficult or tiring, it is a very good read and it's easy going and great for anyone of any age.

Genius SP-S110 100W Speakers - Black
Genius SP-S110 100W Speakers - Black
Offered by Unitrade

5.0 out of 5 stars Best speakers in the world!, 22 Aug 2013
These speakers are cheap, cheerful, reliable, a decent size and best of all.... CHEAP.

Yes, they work and they work well. You simply plug them into a spare socket and USB into your desktop, laptop or whatever else you need them for and off you go. They have an on off switch on the actual speakers, do not crackle or make annoying noises if left on and not in use and you have a volume control on them as well.

They aren't overly tall they are a fairly decent size as you can tell from the pictures, mine came in black and were delivered directly from Amazon for £7 something and APLE shopped them and they arrived very quickly (Amazon's own delivery service) personally, I have had no trouble with their delivery.

I highly recommend them they're great, they are light and cheap but the quality of the sound coming from them is good and they don't BLARE it out madly they are decent and controlled so they're suitable for listening to your music or playing a game such as the Sims 3.

Barbie Brand Entry Doll No. 3
Barbie Brand Entry Doll No. 3
Offered by tradiero GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very beautiful doll., 18 Aug 2013
She is beautiful, a stereotypical Barbie doll, the dress is fairly nice quality, she is nice quality with very tanned skin and platinum blonde hair.
Her elbows and knees etc do have the joints so she doesn't flip around or fall into weird positions, she is sturdy and a brilliant doll.
The price is excellent and she arrived on time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16