Profile for Mr Stagg > Reviews

Content by Mr Stagg

Mr Stagg

Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Karl Urban
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 14 Jan 2013
I got Dredd on Blu-Ray this afternoon, and got right down to watching it. Judge Dredd and the universe accompanying this scowling officer of the law are brilliantly realised, with excellent set pieces, costumes, casting and effects. The plot is simple but I believe that that is only working in the film's favour - this is because it is an ordinary day for Judge Dredd, not a super-villain plot like in the 1995 fiasco. This film is bloody, brutal, darkly humorous and immensely watchable. Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby are well cast as Dredd and his counterpart Anderson, with their combination of Dredd's casual and determined brutality and Anderson's human side creating a pair of characters that work very well with each other indeed.

All in all, an excellent buy! Exactly how and Judge Dredd adaptation is meant to be.
9/10

Far Cry 3 - Insane Edition (PS3)
Far Cry 3 - Insane Edition (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best gaes I have ever played. Ever., 1 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the insane edition on pre-order thanks to Ubisoft's advertising campaigns, and when it arrived I got stuck in!
The story mode is, in a nutshell, absolutely superb. The team for Far Cry 3 seem to have gone all-out into creating the most satisfying, open, fun, and engrossing single player experience I have had in years! The highlights include the multitude of side missions, the massively expansive game world, the cutting-edge graphics and a story so well-written and featuring the best voice/animation combo I have ever seen!

The game has its flaws, notably the graphical quality of the multiplayer being a little worse than singleplayer, as well as few performance issues related to framerate in the single player world (particularly in story cutscenes)

These flaws aside I would easily give this 5/5 - Near on perfection on a blu-ray disk.

Graphics 9.5/10
Story 9.5/10
Gameplay 10/10
Multiplayer 8.5/10
Value for money (Standard edition too) 10/10

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic!, 8 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I played Metal Gear Solid 4 when I borrowed it from a friend some ears ago, and I never got round to buying my own copy until recently - I am pleased to say I enjoyed the game as much this time as last time, which is to say, an immense amount!

The game is as stealthy and slick as any other Metal Gear Solid title, but with vastly improved gameplay and a huge number more possibilities as to how you can approach a situation, with more freedom to go in guns blazing, and there are A LOT more guns in this title than any other.

The story twists and turns, bringing characters new and old, as it follows the final conclusion to the epic adventure that is the story of Solid Snake, and although there are many cutscenes, the story element is enough to keep a player's attention like a good film or book.

The game, overall, is one of the best games I have ever played on PS3, or indeed ever! I heartily recommend it to any and all. 9/10

Sleeping Dogs - Limited Edition (PS3)
Sleeping Dogs - Limited Edition (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 20 Aug 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was only recently introduced to the True Crime series through True Crime NYC on PS2, and I was very excited about Sleeping Dogs, which was until it was dropped by Activision True Crime Hong Kong. Square Enix and United Front did not disappoint in the slightest!

The game is immensely playable, with an engaging main story that lasts a good 25/30 hours if played quickly, as well as mountains of side events ranging from gambling to street races to miscellaneous "Favours" for members of the Hong Kong community. I enjoyed this game no end, and found it nigh on impossible to stop playing - the engine and graphics are well refined and the game on the whole plays smoothly and with plenty of drive. I recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a well written, engaging and hugely fun open world adventure!

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (PS3)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible fun!, 25 April 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game a few weeks ago as I am a fan of Warhammer 40,000 and I was pleasantly surprised with the excellent quality of this game! The gameplay is superbly smooth and very enjoyable, blending shooter and hack-and-slash seamlessly. The multiplayer is excellent, if a little limited as it is quite a while since the game's release - the customisation is fantastically original and innovative and overall the game is a pleasure to play!

Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid HD - Collection (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 4 Feb 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I received the HD Collection yesterday and I can safely say I was completely blown away by it - Konami and Kojima Productions have gone all out into a full HD remake of some of the best titles in the series.

Metal Gear Solid 2 HD is (so far, I'm only about halfway) excellent - a smooth 60 fps framerate throughout, increased resolution and fluid gameplay make it so engrossing you lose hours of the day before you realise how long you've been on! The remaster is superb in every sense. As for Metal Gear Solid 3, I can say that it is even more rewarding to experience due to the gameplay changes like including the Subsistence edition's camera system - having only played Metal Gear Solid 3 as a the standard version on PS2, this "new" camera system has made the game much better to play, and is strongly reminiscent of MGS4. The graphics are once again improved, with tree shadows, improved textures and better lighting. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is the worst graphics of the lot, but as a PSP remaster it could be expected. Despite excellent resolution textures the environments are a little bland and some of the models throughout the environment look patchy and not up to the standard of MGS2 or 3. Nevertheless, the graphics remaster is great compared to the original game, the extra stick for camera control is greatly appreciated and the game is smooth and very enjoyable.

MGS2: 9/10
MGS3: 9/10
MGS: Peace Walker: 8/10

All in all? 9/10
A must have for anyone wanting a stealth/action game for PS3 or XBOX 360, these games will keep a player busy all the way to the end, and over again!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition (PS3)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition (PS3)
Offered by Clickforgamesltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond anything I imagined!, 18 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I pre-ordered this game (PS3, Augmented Edition) and I was totally blown away! The game is excellent on all fronts, with an engaging plot, very good graphics, smooth engine and a real refined feel. I never played the original Deus Ex games but my life was dominated by this game from start to finish!