Profile for Green Monkey > Reviews

Potty Training Boys
Potty Training Boys
by Dr Caroline Fertleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be almost magical, 17 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Potty Training Boys (Paperback)
Our soon to be three year old was very resistant to potty training. He would actively say that he didn't want to poo in the toilet and was uninterested in bribes, even when we offered chocolate! I had read lots of books and had already potty trained his older brother so I was reluctant to buy another book but I was getting desperate and the reviews seemed good.
The book arrived, I skimmed through the key chapters and to my surprise my little boy almost immediately decided that he would like to give potty training a go. I am too old to believe in magic so I can only think that something in the book made me give off a vibe that my son was more comfortable with. I think an important message was that I really needed to put him fully in the driving seat. Before I think I had given him the message without thinking about it that it was up to him when he started to wear big boy pants but that after that I would have control (I didn't say there was no going back but I probably thought it). The book encouraged me to let him make the decision from moment to moment whether he wanted to wear nappies or pants and in no time at all he was deciding that he wanted to wear pants all the time.
I am very glad I bought this book

French is Fun with Serge, the Cheeky Monkey! (Salut Serge)
French is Fun with Serge, the Cheeky Monkey! (Salut Serge)
by Sue Finnie

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Muzzy, 11 Jan. 2009
We have had the two Muzzy sets for a couple of years and my son now aged 6 has watched them with enjoyment but he doesn't appear to be learning any French from them (I am sure however it has helped him acquire a good ear for the accent which is important when he is older and learns French at school). Salut Serge however seems much more suitable for his age group - he is learning how to use words and seems to really enjoy both the DVD at home and the CD in the car. He also likes to follow the book that comes with it when he is listening in the car and unusually for him sometimes actually joins in.

Salut Serge is much much cheaper than Muzzy and seems to do a better job,

Wipe Clean Activity Work Book [With 3 Dry Erase Markers and Cloth Eraser]
Wipe Clean Activity Work Book [With 3 Dry Erase Markers and Cloth Eraser]
by Roger Priddy
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars A great variety of things to do, 8 Jan. 2007
This is a lovely book. Our 4 year old can sit happily absorbed in it doing all the activities. It is great to be able to put your feet up and hear your child busy teaching himself reading and writing and clearly enjoying every minute almost as much as I do! The good thing about this particular book is that it isn't focused on one thing but has lots of different things - mazes, counting, drawing, tracing letters, writing numbers and seems, at least to a four year old, to be gripping.

Room on the Broom
Room on the Broom
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 5 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Room on the Broom (Paperback)
This book has wonderful rhyming verses that motor along. And the story line is funny for adults and children. Our 3 year old enjoyed it so much that after a few readings he was able to recite large chunks of it to anyone who wanted to listen (and a fair number who didn't!)

Monster Bed, The (Mini Treasure)
Monster Bed, The (Mini Treasure)
by Jeanne Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fun book, 5 Nov. 2006
The pictures are wonderful and the idea behind it inspired. In this story the main character (the baby monster) is terrified by the possibility that there may be humans under his bed. What a wonderful turn round of children's fears

The Book of Egg Free Cakes
The Book of Egg Free Cakes
by Stammers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - doesn't rely on egg-replacers, 26 Nov. 2005
I have lost count of the number of egg-free cookery books I have bought that rely almost entirely on egg-replacers. I feel I can follow the instructions on the side of the egg replacer packet myself.

This book however is different - it is egg-free and relies entirely on substitution of other ingredients eg soured yoghurt. It also produces the closest thing you can get to a cake with eggs (sadly you can never get anything quite as meltingly delicious as a cake with eggs).

The book contains recipes, a really good guide to how to put together your own substitutions and most importantly how to pick up the pieces if it all goes wrong!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2013 12:04 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2