Profile for Glen1975 > Reviews

Content by Glen1975

Glen1975 "Monsieur Le Sax" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album That Built Bridges, 31 July 2009
I remember when I first heard the title track "Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory", I was in one of those fashionable head shops in London in 1973. It boomed out over the speakers, a fabulous jangly guitar work over an extremely lively african percussion. It had a vitality that I had not previously heard. I wanted to know the title. Got it, bought it when I had enough money to do.

Up until this point, I was a hardened hard rock fan, if an LP did not have a fuzz guitar and a screamy voice, it was not worth a light.

When I got this record on to the turntable and heard the fast-paced opening track, I was hooked. Moved on to the rather spacy Roll Right Stones, a cool sounding sax right throughout the track - this opened the gateway to jazz and I started to explore the best Jazz musicians in LP's which I borrowed from local library. Then I started to listen to other genres such as soul and funk (Parliament, Larry Graham and Sly and the Family Stone).

The album was a complete education for me. From there, I learned a great deal more about the world of music.

I always have it on my MP3 player and listen to it frequently.

Winter: A Berlin Family, 1899-1945
Winter: A Berlin Family, 1899-1945
by Len Deighton

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter - A War and Peace of the Twentieth Century, 30 July 2009
Winter is not on the scale of Tolstoy's War and Peace, but the formula is clearly there. Families, individuals, heroes, heroines all interacting with a turbulent historic environment.

The historic details are particularly fascinating, the attention to detail was compelling especially life on board a Zeppellin, I wanted to know more about this most fascinating aircraft. The trench warfare was also described in extremely gory detail that you could you almost smell the cordite, urine, faeces and decaying bodies. Also was amazed by the description of Nazi Germany's invasion of Austria, a General of the Panzer expressed his exasperation at having to invade the country with "tin boxes" with inferior engines rather than with tanks. The fuel for the said invasion had to be literally stolen, if necessary at gunpoint, from filling stations en route.

The Winter Family is the focus; the focus homes in on Pauli, who works as a lawyer for the Nazi Party. He is battle hardened, embittered and even twisted to the degree that he makes secretive displays of his humanity, a sort of Schindler (of Schindler's List fame). He takes some really big risks and makes some huge compromises to salvage any aspect, of his family that is under threat. At the same time, he looks for ways and means of letting the Nazi Party off the hook in terms of it contravening the post-Versailles constitution.

If you like War and Peace, Twentieth Century History, you would certainly like this. A great introduction to the work of Len Deighton.

The Appeal
The Appeal
by John Grisham

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Rubbish Reviews, Read this Book, 12 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Appeal (Paperback)
This is the first book that I have read by John Grisham. I can now see why he is so popular. A crisp and simple style of writing. Good characterisations. Good dialogue. Good Pace. Sub plots contributing greatly to the whole. A gifted writer with a droll sense of humour with wry and very funny observations of the super-rich - I felt that he was really coming into Tom Wolfe territory, but so what? I can forgive that, I have made up my mind, this book has helped to do so - John Grisham is a great writer!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2009 11:12 PM BST

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - An Evening Of Yes [1989] [DVD] [NTSC]
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - An Evening Of Yes [1989] [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Live Yes Album - Ever!, 15 Jan 2009
When I put this DVD on the player it was like setting off a load of fireworks, the display of which lasted for two hours. I was not expecting to see anything like this by this band. All the Yes favourites are here including the band's 'own' material. But come on, this band were Yes. OK the DVD does not have widescreen, but what you get is great sound quality, great musicianship and a high energy performance. I do not like live albums as a rule, but this has go among the very exceptions. It's the very greatest live Yes album. No Yes fan should be without it. I would have paid double the price for this, it's that good.

The Raven [DVD]
The Raven [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vincent Price
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic Relief in a rather bleak film repetoire, 10 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Raven [DVD] (DVD)
I must have seen all the Roger Corman horror films - Pit and the Pendulum, the Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death instantly come to mind. The colour to these films was vivid, I felt that I was watching them in colour on a black and white tv set. These films were classic horror films mostly with the melodramatic leads played skilfully by Vincent Price. They were atmospheric, gothic and quite bleak. Yet in The Raven we have a great deal of comic relief all provided by Vincent Price, Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre. It was great fun to watch and I thought Boris Karloff was brilliant and indeed I did detect a sparkle in his eye when he was fighting the magical duel with Vincent Price. I particularly liked the part when Boris hurled magical daggers at Vincent Price and Vincent drew magical disks to block the target. So much for CGI, (you can tell when a film has overdosed on this abomination to special effects). Great entertainment for all the family, I first saw this film when I was aged 10.

Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets
Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets

5.0 out of 5 stars Being in the Musical Mind of a Musical Genius, 9 Sep 2008
I would only hear Beethoven's chamber works on the radio, fleeting moments when I would not concentrate on the music. I guess Beethoven's symphonies have put his chamber music in the shadows. I bought this box set to set aside some time to find out more about this composer's genius. I was not disappointed, these quartets gave me access to the mind of a man with intense emotions and powerful intellect. The symphonies were mere pyrotechnic displays of a showman; but these quartets were something completely different, they were intimate, human and full of loving kindness. Beethoven the humanitarian is clearly at work here and he invites you to occupy this world. The Alban Berg Quartet's is marvellous, I play these again and again. I play them at home and on my MP3 player. What more can I say.

Dark Star [1974] [DVD]
Dark Star [1974] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan O'Bannon
Offered by Jasuli

5.0 out of 5 stars Life on board a claustrophobic spaceship, 18 July 2008
This review is from: Dark Star [1974] [DVD] (DVD)
Prior to Dark Star - heavy space metal came slick and clean - one only has to look on board 2001's Discovery and Starship Enterprise to know how wonderfully spick and span they looked. Dark Star takes a different tack, it is not a very clean environment and is crewed by hippy types who appear to indulge in cannibis. It is a very funny film, we have a computerised talking bomb, a pet alien which looks like a beachball with claws; one is given the onerous task of feeding. Then there is the lift shaft which is totally out of proportion with the spaceship itself.

A very funny and original film - just goes to show high budgets don't mean a thing.

A Tab In The Ocean
A Tab In The Ocean
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundscape of the Seventies, 8 July 2008
This review is from: A Tab In The Ocean (Audio CD)
Yes' "Close to the Edge" was the prog rock album of 1972, for that matter the seventies, but this takes the edge of that album's status. I am very surprised that it does not get much of a mention by all the pundits - it's as if it "lays deep in the bottom of the ocean, buried".

The title track is a swirling and undulating offering of soundscapes. The production is clean. It sounds as if its recorded live in a cathedral - just listen to headphones, it's fantastic escapism. The theme is strong with very strong performances by all musicians, I would love to have seen them live.

Desolation Valley is a great track, it rocks and this helped by the bass line which sometimes takes the lead. Nice atmospheric stuff, much like the rest of the album.

A must to have in anyone's prog rock collection

Brandenburg Ctos 1-3
Brandenburg Ctos 1-3
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Recording, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Brandenburg Ctos 1-3 (Audio CD)
I must have listened to hundreds of versions of the Brandenburg Concertos, they never quite meet the standards of Raymond Leppard and the English Chamber Orchestra. The reason why I say this is that there are some really difficult rythmic passages throughout the concertos, I have heard some orchestras get somewhat wobbly in their renditions. Raymond Leppard brings off this tremendous feat with every concerto. The production is crisp and crystal clear. The musicianship is second to none, David Munrow also appears on the album. Be warned, if you get this album you will not want to listen to any other version.

Ahead Rings Out
Ahead Rings Out

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Ahead, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Ahead Rings Out (Audio CD)
Were I to be marooned on a desert island, this would be one of the ten albums that would help me while away the days. It has vibrancy, verve, panache. Mick Abrahams guitar work is like watching fireworks goes off. The reeds are as a cool as a white christmas and the rythm section just pulses. Yep, when I play this record the good times and feelings just roll.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7