Profile for A. gibson > Reviews

A. gibson (Oxford, UK)

BassBuds Classic Collection In Ear Headphones - White
BassBuds Classic Collection In Ear Headphones - White

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid - rubbish, 27 Nov. 2014
Awful - cheaply made, fit terrible, cheap wire. Avoid.

MegaGear "Ever Ready" Protective Dark Brown Leather Camera Case, Bag for Olympus XZ-2
Offered by MEGA WEST

4.0 out of 5 stars in general a very good case, 11 Nov. 2014
Good custom fit. The strap is a bit cheap compare to the rest, but the case works perfectly. One reviewer said the top part has to be removed completey to take pictures but that isn't the case, you can just remove the two side poppers and dangle the top via the popper on the underside. Only other issue is that the case does slightly get in the way of the switch for the dial on the front - it isn't a huge problem but a mm or two more clearance and it would be perfect. Still rate it 4 stars despite these issues.

MobiFox® Black Hard Plastic Rubber Bumper Case with Metal Buttons for Apple iPhone 4/4S

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish, 26 July 2012
I have yet to find one of these supposed 'just like Apple genuine bumper' which last longer than 6 weeks. This one is now falling apart after just a few weeks in my pocket. The genuine Apple one I got free some two years ago lasted around 6 months, and at the time I thought that was rubbish, but it was much better made than this cheap version which won't last long. Not sure you get what you pay for with the genuine one (£26 on Apple.com!!) but you don't get a lot for £2 either...

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but works, 25 May 2012
You get what you pay for. I needed something to test continuity in a circuit and this does that.
However, the build quality is lacking - you have to unscrew it to replace the battery and but the screw holes are plastic and prone to being cleaned off if you over tighten. The battery was included but didn't work, having as it did an expiry date of 2006!!
Might be worth paying a few pounds more to avoid these little things, and to get a buzzer as this tester doesn't have one. Instructions are up to much either.

20M Cat6 Shielded Network Cable, 20 Meters, FTP, Grey Ethernet Patch Lead
20M Cat6 Shielded Network Cable, 20 Meters, FTP, Grey Ethernet Patch Lead
Offered by The LACH Group

1.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect photo - horrible rude man on the phone - order elsewhere, 14 Dec. 2011
Avoid like the plague. The photo clearly showed white cable. The description did say grey, fair enough. But at the end of a conversation about returning this the reasonable lady I was speaking to passed me onto a rude aggressive man who spoke over me and told me to get stuffed (in essence).
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2012 10:36 AM BST

Scuba Diving Dive Spectrum Stobe light Flashlight Combo
Scuba Diving Dive Spectrum Stobe light Flashlight Combo
Offered by 4th Element Diving Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Flooded on first use, 12 July 2011
This worked intermittently after I dried it out. Not exactly the reliable safety device you would expect to buy. Comes with no instructions, so if I had done something wrong it was impossible to tell. Was only a matter of time before it failed completely. In fairness, I have just spoken to beaver and they have agreed to a cheap replacement (it is out of guarantee). I know other manufacturers might have replaced it as a gesture of goodwill, but this is Beaver after all. I will update the review if the replacement strobe warrants a change of opinion!

Olympus FE-35 Compact Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, clear, good pictures, 22 Mar. 2011
I found this camera a breeze to operate. It's not overly complicated, has a friendly non-techy display and does everything you need while taking great pictures.

Berghaus Twentyfourseven 30L Backpack
Berghaus Twentyfourseven 30L Backpack

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it used to be, 20 Jan. 2011
I've just bought a twentyfourseven 30l daypack. I bought it online, having been so pleased with my existing one, which had lasted around 3 years but needed replacing.

I am not impressed. The quality of the bag seems to be have been reduced in almost every way, e.g.: the back and strap padding has been reduced; there is no longer a decent carry handle, just a thin one; a lot of reinforced areas are now flimsy.

I can see that Berghaus have probably experienced rising costs and have tried to keep the cost of the bag down and maintain their profit margin. But the end result is a poor imitation of my previous bag.

I have sent this comment to Berghaus, and will come back and edit this comment if I get a response. As things stand I can only give the bag 2.5 to 3 stars, whereas the old one would have got 4 to 4.5.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2015 8:58 PM BST

Home Made Stainless Steel Maslin Pan with Handle, 9L
Home Made Stainless Steel Maslin Pan with Handle, 9L

4.0 out of 5 stars Beats using a big old pan!, 6 Nov. 2009
Good size pan - managed to make 8 decent (350g+) jars of chutney in one session. The pouring lip bit isn't much use for chunky preserves - I will probably need to get a funnel, but for making jelly and jam it is a godsend (before I used to carefully spoon it into jars while stressing about them cooling down too much before I got the lids on!).

I am only a novice (first year of preserving) but I have been perfectly happy with this pan so far.

Kenwood Energy Sense JK450 Kettle, 1.7 Litre (White)
Kenwood Energy Sense JK450 Kettle, 1.7 Litre (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of pros, 29 Nov. 2008
We've had this kettle about 3 weeks now, and the difference from a standard kettle is remarkable. We use much less water, boil it for far less time and as a result save a fair bit of power (I haven't actually checked, but it seems self explanatory!).

I've read the other reviews on Amazon, and can add my own opinions on two matters: the lid, and chlorine:

The lid is a little bit dodgy - it is now harder to open than previously (to begin with it worked like a dream: spring-loaded so it opens wide to make filling from tap, mug, jug or whatever very easy). I suspect this was caused by closing it with too much force, although you would hope a kettle could withstand this lack of care. On balance I think it would still be okay if we had known to begin with that we had to treat it with more care than normal.

I haven't noticed any chlorine taste or smell, so I suspect this is a peculiarity of the location of the reviewers? We live in Oxford and I can honestly say that it hasn't been a problem.

I hope this review helps - I think this is a good buy.