Profile for nosurfindurham > Reviews

Chef! - Complete Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Chef! - Complete Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lenny Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars Serious profession. Great comedy., 9 April 2015
Season 1 of Chef is among the best comedy series the BBC has ever produced. Growing up in the 90s, I used to love it. And having completely forgotten about it in the intervening 20 years, it's been a real treat to rediscover this classic. Season 2 isn't quite as strong but still very entertaining. I haven't got onto Season 3 yet... Hence why only four stars.

Should you buy it? Yes. It's worth the money for the theme tune alone.

The Inner Game of Tennis
The Inner Game of Tennis
by W. Timothy Gallwey

4.0 out of 5 stars A buddhist mantra in a sweatband, 9 April 2015
Love it. Not sure whether it's made me a significantly better tennis player yet (although I hope the 'inner game' approach will improve my game the long run). Either way, I certainly enjoy my time on court more now and I have to say this book is only really about tennis on a superficial level. It's more like a buddhist mantra in a sweatband...

Why You Need A Business Story And How To Create It
Why You Need A Business Story And How To Create It
by David Sloly

5.0 out of 5 stars No zigzagging, just practical advice, 9 April 2015
I generally separate business books into two categories. Those that will forever sit on the bookshelf, gathering dust. And those that I keep next to my desk where I can pick them up whenever I need.

From page one, I knew this book would fall into the second category.

The author sets his stall out with a story about a man he met who designs airport terminals, which are carefully laid out to make us zigzag through all the shops on our way to the gate. The author uses this story to explain why his book is short (around 60 pages) because there's no zigzagging or tangents, just practical advice.

Having recently started a company, I really appreciate this approach. You don't have to wade through lots of padding to find the information you actually need. It's just a straight-up step-by-step manual for creating engaging business stories. And the biggest compliment I can pay is that it works.

I've applied all or some of the elements of this process to almost every page of my website and the result is web copy that's engaging, unique and memorable. As my marketing efforts become more sophisticated, I've no doubt I'll refer back to it again and again.

Highly recommended if you want to raise your communications above the ordinary.

Stadium Arcadium
Stadium Arcadium

4.0 out of 5 stars Stadium Arcadium, 28 May 2006
This review is from: Stadium Arcadium (Audio CD)
A lot of people seem to be suggesting that this is the Chilis' best album. I strongly disagree. They're too talented to make an album which isn't pretty amazing, but the song writing here isn't up to the high standards which they have shown on their last three albums (I liked By The Way) and isn't as ground-breaking as their early stuff. Lot's of the songs drift by without you realising or you want to skip them. Musically, they haven't let it slip but there are times when this album smells of pandering to a more commercial sound - a la Foo Fighters' last couple of albums. This is evident in the fact that Kiedis' vocals are more prominent to give songs that radio-friendly sound and there are fewer instrumental breakdowns than might be expected - which is a shame because that's what the Chilis do best and they give this album a lot of its best moments.

Something should be said about the fact that there's 28 songs. That's a lot of pepper for your pound. Still, it would have been a much better idea to scrap half and provide a regular length album of higher quality songs like almost every other band does. The second disc is weaker and I don't think I'll play it much so I'll miss out on its good songs. It also begs the question of what their next album is going to be like because they really need to offer something different now.

Some people have suggested this album is a return to the style of BloodSugarSexMagik. It's actually closer to Mother's Milk or One Hot Minute. Probably, it's more consistent than those albums but lacks their high points too. Certainly, it doesn't capture the raw funk and immense song writing of BloodSugar. In fact, I feel the best songs on the new album are the more down-tempo ones like Slow Cheetah and Strip My Mind. With a couple of exceptions (Animal Bar and Hump de Bump), the heavier songs are starting to sound slightly like generic pop-rock - they're nothing that hasn't been done better on a previous album.

If you like what the Chilis do, buy this album - it's good stuff and, if you don't mind skipping some of the weaker tracks, it's a very good album. Also, for fans, it's worth buying just for Flea's bass fills on Hump de Bump. If you're not sure about the band, this won't persuade you that they're not over-hyped - but please check out Freaky Styley or BloodSugar for evidence of their genius. If you're into chart music, then this will be better than any other similar album released for a while, just don't go around saying it's the best album ever cos it isn't even close.

At the end of the day, the Chili's are an awesome band and this album doesn't suggest otherwise. It might not be their best but there's enough quality to make it worth buying (in my opinion). There's always a vast amount of pressure on bands to make every album their 'best' and the industry will always hype away like little squirrels until a lot of people believe them - because that makes them trendy. However, these trendy people are the same ones who bought Avril Lavigne's album a few years ago and thought Limp Bizkit invented rap-metal. Because of hype, it's very easy to criticise an album if it isn't as good as hoped, but ignore MTV/VH1/Radio1/Q and just accept the music for what it is. Average Chilis beats most bands' best work.

Based On A True Story
Based On A True Story

4.0 out of 5 stars True Story, 26 May 2006
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
I love this album, it makes my subwoofer sing - the bass is so rich, deep and fluid. These guys are really quite unique, I don't know if they conform to any genre. If I had to make one up it'd be something like neo-dub-soul. Basically, they sound a bit like Slightly Stoopid but more experimental, a lot more soulful and basically they're better. The only reason I don't think this album is worth 5 stars is that all the songs are about 7 minutes long and I believe that really great songs leave you wishing they were longer. To be fair, that's probably a bit harsh, I just don't want to give 5 stars to an album unless it blows my mind. This is damn good though - excellent for bbqs. Bring on the summer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2015 11:25 PM BST

TALES FROM BEYOND THE GROOVE
TALES FROM BEYOND THE GROOVE

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales From Beyond The Grooove, 10 Mar. 2006
Ok, so this album arrived in the post yesterday morning and I haven't stopped listening to it since then. It's an album which immediately feels like I've owned it for years.
Over the last couple of years I've got into a lot of stuff released by the Tru Thoughts record label and this is as good as anything they've released so far. I'd put it on a par with QSO's Stampede and Alice Russell's Favourite Letters and, in it's musical style, it falls somewhere between the sounds of these two albums. It's got that trademark dusty funk sound but is more relaxed than most of Quantic's other stuff, still maintaining the funk but in a less club-orientated fashion. In some ways, it can almost sound a bit like some of The Gorillaz stuff (in a good way). That may just be cos the vocals sound like Damon Albarn's though.
Where I think this album stands out from alot of Tru Thought's albums is in it's consistency. Every song is awesome with good instrumentation, vocals and lyrics. With the exception of My Favourite Letters, every other album they've done has at least one or two tracks which are a little weak. Having said that, I dont't think this album reaches the heights of some of the others. Also, it's really accessible, the songs have simpler structures than a lot of Quantic stuff and it's less hectic in terms of the number and variety of instruments used. I really think anyone would like this. Buy it.

Sounding Amosaic
Sounding Amosaic
Offered by usnap

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounding A Mosaic, 4 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Sounding Amosaic (Audio CD)
This is the first time I've been compelled to write a review of a CD. These guys really deserve respect for creating this album so I figure I'll give it to them.
I'm really into stuff like Dispatch, Jack Johnson, Sublime and G Love. Bedouin Soundclash are right up my street with their unique sound blending soulful lyrics with catchy, uplifting melodies and a nice raw summertime vibe. The vocalist's voice is soft and very distinctive - my mate reckons he sounds a bit like Paul Simon - which fits well with the whole sound.
Although the sound is fairly reggae in a way, this isn't a reggae album by any means, the sound is much more original and has kind of a more acoustic Sublime-when-they-arent-playing-punk feel. Also, there's a decent and inventive blend of styles on the album, most notably that a couple of tracks have sections of drum n bass rhythm. Don't be put off by this if you dont like dnb, this album is so easy to get into - it doesnt require repeated listening to appreciate. Im not massively into dnb but it really works obscenely well with smoothed-out guitar over a drum beat that's actually played, not processed.
The only reason not to like this album is if you don't like beautiful, summery, well written music that gives you a sense of general global well-being. Obviously, not everyone likes this sort of music, but if you share your music tastes with me you're going to have to get this. Legends in the making in my opinion.
If you've heard this album and like it, check out Dispatch too, probably their best album is Bang Bang. They're so unknown for such an awesome band (who have sadly now split up). Guys like this are the counterbalance for England's shocking weather - close your eyes and you'll swear you can feel the sun on your arms and and the smell of salt water and a BBQ.