Profile for D. D. Wilson > Reviews

Content by D. D. Wilson

D. D. Wilson "spawnee" (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Wiggles - Hoop Dee Doo / Wiggly Wiggly World [DVD]
The Wiggles - Hoop Dee Doo / Wiggly Wiggly World [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Wiggles
Offered by The Happy Zombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware - your sanity is at risk!, 10 Feb 2007
Your toddler will love this DVD forever! They will dance their little socks off and laugh and giggle at the "crazy" antics of the Wiggles. These guys really do look like geeky star trek rejects, but they are obviously very clever in the way they have tapped into the small childs' mind, thus getting parents around the world to empty their pockets for the DVD collection (I read somewhere that they are Aussies highest earners - more than Nicole Kidman and AC/DC put together!)

I say beware of loosing your sanity, as the music is that really annoying catchy stuff that you won't get out of your head all day, and will drive you crazy as a parent!

Braun MR4000 Hand Blender
Braun MR4000 Hand Blender

4.0 out of 5 stars What a bargin, 1 Sep 2005
Have to say, that for the price I don't think you can get a better hand blender than this. It makes great smoothies and great mush for a weaning baby. Comes with a handy plastic jar to blend with. It is very easy to clean (other than the motor, the rest is dishwasher safe). It does have two speeds, but I am yet to figure out why, as they don't make that much difference (hence me giving it a four star rating and not a five star rating). I am yet to make much else, I have been told though that it does make good mayonaise. I am sure you could spend vast amount more on a hand blender, but I really don't think you need to. Excellent for those on a small budget!

OK
OK
Offered by Dirty Deals UK

4.0 out of 5 stars What more can I add?, 1 Sep 2005
This review is from: OK (Audio CD)
Having read some of the reviews here, I am not sure if I will be able to sway prospective buyers one way or the other. I get the feeling that OK is an album that you are going to be very impressed with or find it "okay". However, what I can say about the album is that Talvin Singh is a great producer and collabortor (I am quite a fan of the Madras Philiharmonic Orchestra). Like many others, I too like the up beat Sutrix, I like the slightly more downtempo sound of Butterfly (as heard on so many Cafe Del Mar and Ministry of Sound-esque chill-out CD's). I have been a fan of world fusion for quite a while, and I think OK has done a pretty good job of getting world fusion a wider audience.
What I would like to add is if you are one of the people who like Talvin Singh, then try checking out Karsh Kale, he is from the USA and I am sure you'd like his style too.

Pathaan's Universal Sunset: Mixed By Pathaan
Pathaan's Universal Sunset: Mixed By Pathaan

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could of given four and a half-stars, 3 Aug 2005
The reason being is that I feel that four stars isn't enough, but five is too much! Why? Well don't get me wrong, it's yet another fantastic selection of tracks chosed carefully by Pathaan. I guess I was expecting the music to be more worldly fusion like his previous two CD's (Indian Sunset and Global Sunset, both of which I have and have reviewed on Amazon).
As ususal I love B-Tribe, great track that starts off proceedings on Sunset (the more ambient of the two CD's). It's got great samples of Sun is Shining in it. And an electro-ambient cover (or is it a mix?) of Hey-Ya is something to be heard! However, I felt that the rest of the tracks on Sunset were nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I do like them, but it started to not sound so unique. Maybe I don't know Pathaan's taste well enough, maybe I need to listen to him on Ministy of Sound radio, as the tracks on sunset, sound just like every other "Chill out" CD out there. It reminded me of how the Buddha Bar compilations had gone.
However, Sunrise, laid all those feelings to one side. With its up-tempo beats, starting off slowly and building up after the fantastic Baaba Maal, reworked by Ashley Beedle. Going through various bouncy dancing genres, house, electro, funk, break beat etc etc. Max Sedgley's funky offering "Devil Inside" was awesome, and what a great follow up to the anthem that is "Happy". Rock El Casbah gave The Clash classic a new dimension. Also a firm favourite of mine Analogue Bubblebath, led me back to my late teens and early twenties, still a great ambient sound to start the wind down of the album.
I would still tell people to go and buy this if you are a fan of either Pathaan or the World Fusion sound, even though it didn't score as highly as the other two albums for me!

The Psychopharmacology of Herbal Medicine: Plant Drugs That Alter Mind, Brain and Behavior
by Marcello Spinella

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the class, 6 July 2005
Marcello Spinella has created a book that is very informative, written with huge amounts of enthusiasm, yet balanced and easy to read! For anyone who has an interest in the field of herbal psychopharmcology, be it from an academic, professional or layperson perspective, then this is likely to be a great starting point for you. Although it is a guide aimed mainly at reseachers, and health care professionals, it still advises that (due to health care standards changing all the time that) you should still seek expert opinion before using the book in practice.
That said, the book covers basic neurosciences and pharmacology, before going into details on stimulant plants; plants which are cognitive enhancers; herbal sedatives; psychotheraputic herbs; analgesic and anesthetic plants; and hallucingenic plants.
It doesn't promote any of these plants to be used for recreational purposes, but purely from a pharmacology perspective.

World Beat Sessions
World Beat Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars World club music on a CD, 6 July 2005
This review is from: World Beat Sessions (Audio CD)
At last, here is a CD of world fusion that you can really dance your socks off to! For such a long time we have had Buddha Bar (and the like) cd's which, granted you can dance too, but they tend to be fairly mellow. Here the fantastic Future World Funk DJ's have got together some of their favourite tracks that are made by artists from around the globe or tracks that are inpsired by worldly sounds, be it Latin, Asian or African. Some of the tracks are already familiar hits in main stream clubs such as Yeke Yeke and Mundian To Bach Ke, some of them will also be familiar to those who own Claude Challe or Ravin CD's such as Sidestepper and Zuco 103. However, it does contain some great rare gems. My personal favourite on the second CD is Momo, never come across them beforewhich verges on techno, Ojos De Brujo, which is flamenco Hip-hop, and how about a Balkan folk cover of the reggae hit Carlonia? This really does span the world for genres. I hope they make another one, with may be one of the CD's have a DJ mix? The price is also fantasic when compared with other similar CDs

40, 001 Best Baby Names
40, 001 Best Baby Names
by Diane Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars Just too much, 3 May 2005
This book has a huge expanse of names, and if you are just looking for a name and not the meaning, then this could be the book for you. However, be prepared for being overwhelmed by the amount - 40,001 might make it even harder for you to choose, and if you were looking for something to help you with then may be browse some of the other books out there.
The other point that needs to be made (but has already been done so by some of the other reviewers) is that the name meanings are not very detailed, and also contradict some of the meanings of the same name in other books, so it might be worth double checking which book has the right definition!

Les Bains Douches (2CD)
Les Bains Douches (2CD)
Offered by J4G

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch stuff from Challe, 17 Jan 2005
This review is from: Les Bains Douches (2CD) (Audio CD)
I agree with other reviewers that this is a great CD from Claude Challe, however, I wouldn't go as far to say that it is his best work to date. I still prefer Buddha Bar 1 and/or Nirvana Lounge 1 & 2. That said, I do still strongly think that this is one of the better mix CD's of his. It's great to hear the Balearic classic that is the Moodswings full version of Spiritual High, easing you nicely, to a great chill out first half of the double CD. The only track that I am not keen on is Candy Duffy and Dave Stewart, and that is only because I am not a big fan of the sax!
The second half, more up tempo CD is my prefered choice. I love the intro and steady build up of 60 Seconds. It has some all time classic, which I wouldn't associate with Challe, as I would say, with something that Ministry of Sound churning out, however they are good all the same. Tunes like Insominia, and Afroleft. But it his ability to choose such seemingly random tunes and make they flow smoothly, (like they were meant for each other) that makes Claude Challe a breath of fresh air!

South West 9 [2001] [DVD]
South West 9 [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wil Johnson
Offered by Jasuli

2.0 out of 5 stars Like Human Traffic? Then miss this one, 15 Dec 2004
This review is from: South West 9 [2001] [DVD] (DVD)
I personally loved Human Traffic. When it came out it was a breath of fresh air. Great to see a film based on British Clubbing, cliched, but great fun all the same. So I was looking forward to South West 9 when it came out, some of the best artists on the sound track like Sunscreem. However, the acting was poor at the best of the time (no great acting from the likes of John Simm), and the story line, well, not sure it had a story line to begin with.
Many of the reviews claimed it was a "darker version" of Human Traffic or it was like a sequel to Human Traffic, sadly, both cases they are wrong. Hire before you buy is my advice!

First Steps in Wine Making
First Steps in Wine Making
by Cyril J. J. Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars May be the only book of its kind you will ever need?, 15 Dec 2004
I got into wine making about ten years ago, having used a few home brew wine kits. I then wanted to try making my own from scratch. Sure enough this book was recommended to me as a starting point. Well, I have now made over 100 gallons of wine in those years since biying the book, and not one bottle has been spoilt, all of them drinkable, and some of them that good that my friends were amazed that I made them, and hadn't bought it from a supermarket! It has plenty of tips, recipe ideas, etc in very easy to understand guidance. Starting off with the basics this gives you enough to progress on to bigger and better ideas. I can now adapt and make my own recipes for home made wines with ease. Although a little old fashion in his ways, he makes home brewing a pleasure and not a chore.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5