ARRAY(0xa3c21eac)

Profile for Anna R > Reviews

Content by Anna R

Anna R "Anna R" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Elf [DVD] [2003]
Elf [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Murdoch is the Grinch, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Elf [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Everyone knows how great Elf is - read all the other reviews.

This year however Elf can only be seen in the UK by Sky Movie subscribers because Murdoch has used his considerable wealth to swipe it away from Channel 4 which anyone could watch. Buy your own copy thereby saving many pounds in subscriptions and the horror of a dish on the side of your house (and all that says about you as a person).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 9:48 AM GMT

Nubar 'French Collection' Nail Polish La Bell 15ml FM111
Nubar 'French Collection' Nail Polish La Bell 15ml FM111

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the inside of an Oyster Shell, 4 Dec 2012
This is a wonderful milky grey nude which I'd say is suitable for work or any situations where understated nails are called for. It's not as sheer as you'd imagine that description of the colour suggests and with a base coat (I always use a ridge filler), it's opaque in 2 coats. It's a really unusual colour, I have many, many polishes and nothing that's anything like this. Wear is average but I always wear a topcoat anyway.

Zoya Nail Polish - Blair #ZP458 14ml
Zoya Nail Polish - Blair #ZP458 14ml
Offered by TNBL UK
Price: 10.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a beautiful colour, 4 Dec 2012
I'm not really a fan of shimmers normally and this is not a colour I would have chosen, in fact I didn't. I ordered Zoya black and this got sent instead (not from Amazon or any marketplace sellers btw). I decided to try it anyway and I love it. It's one of the most beautiful colours I own, (and I have many). Zoya is a great brand with a wonderful finish and great wear. I should say though that I always use a base coat (at the moment it's Revlon's Nail Trauma) and a top coat (Seche Vite of course), so I'm not sure how well this would stand up on it's own.

Like a previous reviewer suggested it is a really lovely Christmas/party colour and I would highly recommend it.

Afterwards
Afterwards
by Rosamund Lupton
Price: 3.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the worst book I've ever (partially read)., 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Afterwards (Paperback)
I am absolutely astonished that this book has so many positive reviews. The suspension of disbelief required in order to swallow the ludicrous premise of this story is enormous. Unfortunately I couldn't sustain it until the end and I will be honest from the start, I couldn't finish it. I skim read the last part and even that felt like a huge effort.

It's crass, mawkish the writing is infantile, the characters unlikeable. There is no description, no lyricism, poetry or beauty in language. It reads like something written in haste in a creative writing class.

I'm quite happy to read pulpy fiction and thrillers but there must be some skill in the writing.

Read anything else but this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2012 10:25 AM BST

Klipsch Image X1 Headphones
Klipsch Image X1 Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Other things worth noting, 17 Jan 2012
There are lots and lots of positive reviews of these headphones and I just wanted to add my own with a couple of points that might not have been made elsewhere.

The sound is good but as someone has already pointed out they need to be placed carefully in the ear to give the best result. They took a bit of getting used to because I had been using Creative in-ears which seemed to fit my ears really easily. These do too, they just take some getting used to.

Two big positives for me however;

1. The ear buds gels don't fall off. You have to really tug to get them off. I was forever losing my Creative ones because of their tendency to drop off.
2. The cord doesn't tangle or kink. This is also a massive bonus because you don't have to fiddle for ages before you can use them.

Panasonic KXTG7323 DECT Digital Cordless Telephone Trio with Answer Machine - Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality phones, 17 Oct 2008
I bought these phones to replace some truly awful BT phones that never worked very well even when new. I actually ordered the Panasonic KXTG7123ES but when I received my phones (very prompt delivery by liGo) I was informed that Panasonic had discontinued these phones and I was being given an upgrade for free. I paid 64.99 for these phones. Again excellent customer service by liGO.

* The phones have a 100 name and number memory (sadly I don't have that many friends) - info only has to be put in on one phone and then copied to the other two very easily.
* They have a loudspeaker and intercom function.
*They come supplied with rechargeable AAs and can be left on the chargers with no negative effects.
* They are light grey on the front with dark grey backs they have a gentle yellow backlit keypad and they are a good size (i.e not mobile phone sized)
* the sound is incredibly clear with no interference as far as I can hear and the range seems very good (this will very much depend on the construction of your house though)
* there is a pager function on the base unit in case you lose any of the phones and need to locate them.
* They have 16 ringer melodies (most of them are pretty awful actually)
* the answer phone is easy to use and can easily be switched off if you don't want to use it. It can be operated from any of the handsets and I would recommend recording your own greeting as the one supplied is a little weird.

* They are caller-ID compatible if you subscribe to this service

The only (very small) negatives I can think of are;

* the afore-mentioned ringer melodies (why they just can't work on perfecting a nice melodic 'ring' I don't know, they make a really quality phone sound bit cheap).
* the inability to name the phones (kitchen, bedroom etc). You can only identify them by by pressing the intercom button which will tell you which one you are holding. This is only really important I suppose if you do a lot of call transferring in which case i suppose you could always stick a small label on them, but it would have been a simple and useful addition.

I would in any case have no hesitation in recommending these phones (read the reviews for the other Panasonic trio to see how many other people rate them too), they are clear, easy to use, well appointed phones for a very good price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2011 4:49 PM GMT

Oregon Scientific THT328 Box Window Thermometer
Oregon Scientific THT328 Box Window Thermometer
Offered by Smart Living
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality gadget, 11 Oct 2008
This is a quality product that works well with a very clear LCD display.

I'm sure it's obvious to everyone else but it wasn't to me that this sticks to the outside of your window (yes, I thought it could perceive the outside temperature by some sort of trickery through double glazing). It sticks to the window with a piece of strong tape and appears to adhere well.

Anyway it records the temperature accurately and keeps a record of the max/min which is useful if you like to record these details. It also has an ice warning (I look forward to seeing that).

Sock Monkey Goes to Hollywood
Sock Monkey Goes to Hollywood
by Cece Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars For the Pre-schooler with a good sense of humour, 17 Jan 2007
My son (5 years) and I absolutely loved this book. It is the quite bizarre tale of Sock Monkey who gets nominated for an award but the invite stipulates that he must be clean. The book goes on to show that washing isn't nearly as bad as Sock Monkey thinks.

The funniest pages are the awards ceremony ones where you get to see some of the other nominees, like Teddy Bear nominated for his role in 'Kids, I shrunk the Honey'.

This book is for you if you like reading to your child but want a book that entertains you both. It's perfect.

Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Heder
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet...a PG film I can stomach, 26 Aug 2005
This review is from: Napoleon Dynamite [DVD] (DVD)
What a fantastic film. Watched by the following ages; 42,37,10,8 and 3 and we all loved it (in different ways). It's a really gentle film, not much of a story but incredibly funny (how could anybody not find this funny?). The characters are wonderful. Napoleon, his brother Kip (jeez he's like 32), Pedro, uncle Rico and Deb.
It's got a bit of language but it's mormon swearing so what the hey? Buy this film it's good for you.

Struwwelpeter - Mini Gift Edition
Struwwelpeter - Mini Gift Edition
by Heinrich Hoffmann

5.0 out of 5 stars If your children like being scared..., 27 May 2005
This is a great book and I would highly recommend it. It is full of wonderful morality tales in rhyming form for children. It is beautifully illustrated with cautionary tales for thumb-sucking soup refusing children.
Both my nine year old and three year old love it.

Page: 1 | 2