Profile for C. Nation > Reviews

Content by C. Nation

C. Nation "chrisnation" (Bristol UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Rome: The Complete HBO Season 1 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006]
Rome: The Complete HBO Season 1 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Kevin McKidd
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 14.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely OTT. Great!, 9 Jun 2011
Based loosely on Roman history, this rollicking tale of emporers, gladiators, generals, scrumptious-looking women from Cleopatra to slave-girls, is brilliant entertainment. Masses of it.

The production values are right up there. No expense spared. The casting is a little patchy. I never did quite believe in the callow youth who became the ruthless and mighty Augustus Caesar. He was OK as a lad but didn't come near Mark Anthony as a maaaaan.

These are minor quibbles. 'Rome' is hours and hours of really good watching. One weekend I'm going to go through the whole thing in one splurge. I'll need a supply of pizzas and steak & chips, wine and whiskey and it will be wonderful.

Then, a couple of years later, I'll do it again. It's that good, I reckon.

De'Longhi HS20/2 Convector Heater, 2kW
De'Longhi HS20/2 Convector Heater, 2kW

4.0 out of 5 stars Entirely fit for purpose., 9 Jun 2011
Good old Ohm's Law. It makes electric heaters so simple to construct. Wind a not-particularly-good conductor round a heat-resistant core, run a current through it and lo! Heat!

Stick the above in a slim and neat casing, add a basic thermostat and what have you got? This De'Longhi heater.

There are many variations of the same theme from a number of brands. They all do exactly the same thing. The only choice between them is style of casing and maybe addition of a timer, which I recommend going for. Whether price has any bearing on quality is debatable.

The price for this model is at the low end. I can't think of any reason to pay more.

Understanding RAW Photography
Understanding RAW Photography
by Andy Rouse

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all on the web for free., 9 Jun 2011
Books like these are pretty much redundant now. 'How to...' and 'What is..' and 'The way I do it is...' can be found in virtually limitless supply on the web. And any presentation of a subject based on a developing technology can and will rapidly go out of date.

Of course, not all that's out there is accurate and as logically presented as Andy Rouse's material. But in my experience one can usually spot the hot-air nonsense or arcane irrelevancies once one is reasonably familiar with the subject.

If you want to sit with a book in your hands, this book covers the outline, background and basics of shooting RAW images. I read it in a couple of hours, re-read it to get straight one or two points I was unclear about first time round and now it is most unlikely I will ever open it again. Not because it has taught me all I need to know about shooting RAW but because, as an introduction to the topic, it is necessarily very limited in scope.

It's not a poor book by any means - it's just that everything you need to know is out there for free and probably more in line with your specific approach and needs.

Jancis Robinson's Wine Course
Jancis Robinson's Wine Course
by Jancis Robinson

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a big Jancis fan, 9 Jun 2011
For a start - I know it's irrelevant to a book review but - I really like Jancis's voice, when she's on TV/radio.

The USP of Jancis Robinson is that she clearly know her stuff and can write about it in a way that conveys maximum detail and description whilst not falling over into what James May called 'wine bollocks' on his TV tour with Oz Clark. Oz is often guilty of spouting 'w.b' on TV and in his books but you don't get this from Ms R.

Ms Robinson can hold the attention and interest of more experienced wine drinkers whilst not skipping the basics which someone who is new to wine-buffery needs. She does not condescend to the inexperienced but covers as much as anyone without specialist knowledge could wish to know.

It's all here, from storing and pouring to regions, grape varieties, tasting notes - very comprehensive. I find this book more practical and useful than Hugh Johnson's more magesterial but coffee-table tomes.

If there was only one book on wine that I was allowed to buy, it's this one.

A Brief History of British Kings and Queens (Brief Histories)
A Brief History of British Kings and Queens (Brief Histories)
by Michael Ashley
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Potted but nourishing, 9 Jun 2011
This book crams a very great deal into one pocketable p/back. The title is accurate. It has to be brief and it is. There is an immense amount of ground to cover.

Each monarch has a chapter describing the principle events leading to the accession to the throne, the reign, its consequences and a final assessment of the whole and the individual.

Welsh and Scottish royalty are covered. This is only fair: they are part of British history too. How much these parts interest you depends on whether you are Welsh or Scottish, I suppose but they are, as things have turned out, tributaries to the main flow of British history, joining the main stream with James VI/I

This book is a very good 'taster'. Enough detail is presented to make any one monarch interesting enough that you will be able to decide if you want to know more by buying a more specific book.

Wallpaper* City Guide Valencia ("Wallpaper*" City Guides)
Wallpaper* City Guide Valencia ("Wallpaper*" City Guides)
by Wallpaper*
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 9 Jun 2011
I have bought every guide book to Valencia that I can find. I might even end up writing one myself because I intend to move there permanently this year and run tours myself.

I thought this book might be a bit too on the hip/cool side. Descriptions of arcane clubs where you have to be wearing Jimmy Choos to get in - that sort of in-crowd stuff.

But it is a great deal more useful than that. For those of us more MOR than uber-cool, it still presents Valencia in an accessible and interesting way. As a companion/alternative to the more conventional guides, it fills in a gap full of colour and style that adds to Valencia's appeal.

Mozart:Requiem
Mozart:Requiem
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Mozart:Requiem (Audio CD)
I'm not capable of making telling comparisons between leading editions of works by the great composers. All I can say is that this supreme work by Mozart is beautifully presented here.

This piece is one of the great achievements of European culture. I don't think anyone would be disappointed by this version - rather, they will be carried away by it.

A Brief History of the Tudor Age (Brief Histories)
A Brief History of the Tudor Age (Brief Histories)
by Jasper Godwin Ridley
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jun 2011
I bought this book in error. I actually wanted a detailed account of the doings of H.VIII to clear up some liberties taken with historical fact by the script writers of 'The Tudors'. This is not the right book for that.

I found myself in a detailed and comprehensive description of all things Tudor, from taxation to the laws proscribing who may wear what hat made of what material [and we think we live in a nanny state!]

For a broad sweep of life in Tudor times, from sex and marriage to economics and architecture, I found this book really interesting, written with a light touch perfectly suitable for non-academics like me.

Very highly recommended.

Spain (Culture Shock)
Spain (Culture Shock)
by Elizabeth Kohen

1.0 out of 5 stars What do YOU think 1 Star means?, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Spain (Culture Shock) (Paperback)
This was written with Americans abroad in mind. As a very experienced European tour guide, with a mainly US clientele, I know for certain that Americans often find Europe pretty strange and also find it hard to adapt. Thus simplistic, stereotypical and banal books such as this one.

Of all the books on Spain, for anyone who asked me [and I've read loads, from Chris Stewart to Gerald Brennan], this is the last and least worth reading of them all.

Why? Because it is hysterical, biased, ill-considered, inaccurate, ignorant, small-minded, ungenerous, prejudiced, banal, full of hearsay ["I heard of a ... "Someone I know told me he saw ..."] and sweeping generalisations, many of them based on the results of the author or others doing something foolish and reaping the inevitable results.

I could find nothing of merit in it whatsoever - and I don't claim to know it all, either. Despite going to school in Estepona for a term in 1962 and going to Spain professionally and privately ever since, I'm still reading everything I can get, on paper and on-line, because next Spring my house goes on sale and I move to Valencia for good.

This book is equally useless for those going to Spain on holiday or for those contemplating a move there. For holiday makers it has no info/detail - you need a good guide like the Lonely Planet/Time Out/Cadogan/Pallas books. For potential residents it is hoplessly vague, generalised, inaccurate .

Read ANYTHING by Michael Jacobs. You will learn about Spain by the bucket-load and be vastly entertained the while.

Nylon Guitar Strap - Black
Nylon Guitar Strap - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be improved, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Nylon Guitar Strap - Black
I don't wear my Strat gun-slinger style, low down. Just about middling. But at this height, there is very little length adjustment left. Anyone taller than me [5'11"] or who likes to sling low, will find this strap too short.

The hole that takes the strap peg is a bit small. Once you have pushed the button thru' the bigger hole and worked it down the slit to the smaller hole, I found that the edges of the hole were trying to climb up over the button. I crammed the edges down with a blunt instrument. Ideally, the hole should be made 2-3 mm larger.

But it seems well constructed, strongly built. I just wish I'd bought it to fit onto my Strat Deluxe before I sold it, and kept the Fender strap from the Dlx for my new Plus.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18