Profile for shipsatsea > Reviews

May We Be Forgiven
by A. M. Homes
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: May We Be Forgiven (Paperback)
I found this book hard going. There was just layer upon layer of awful things happening to the protagonist. So much so that I began to dislike him. The plot works out in the end but it felt hurried. I only finished it because I don't like to give up. Was surprised it won a book prize.

The Fantastic Book of Everybody's Secrets
The Fantastic Book of Everybody's Secrets
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the most wonderful set of stories., 16 Mar 2013
This is clever, clever writing. The stories will stay with you long after you've read them. The endings will have you gasping - but in a good way! There is no predictability and each piece is a little gem. You are lucky if you haven't read it because you have so much to look forward to - I know I will reread many times.

Take Two (A psychological thriller)
Take Two (A psychological thriller)
Price: 1.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Too obvious, 16 Mar 2013
Surprised at how quickly I got the ending and the twin thing - just NO. Won't be reading any more from this author.

Bluebeard: The Autobiography of Rabo Karabekian (1916-1988)
Bluebeard: The Autobiography of Rabo Karabekian (1916-1988)
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate - as usual., 16 Mar 2013
One of the best writers of our time - I've never been disappointed and here again his quirky style works beautifully.

The Language of Flowers
The Language of Flowers
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fine read., 16 Mar 2013
This is a delightful book - beautifully plotted and paced. I found myself rationing it because the idea of it being over was so awful. I rarely feel that!

The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson
The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book!, 3 Jan 2013
This is a new author to me and when I've written this I am going to buy everything by him! I laughed from beginning to end - never thought I'd say that about a murder mystery. The scene in the barber's shop near the beginning was as funny as anything I've ever read. What a delight - impossible to put down and leaves you grinning!

The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox
The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read!, 6 Jan 2012
I'd read 'The Hand That First Held Mine' on holiday (first book I've ever brought back with me) and wondered if some holiday magic had attached itself to it and that I might not enjoy this one so much. Instead, I am enthralled. Maggie O'Farrell is a wonderful writer, her prose sings and her characters grasp your heart. I am off to buy her back catalogue - what a treat I have in store.

The Mammoth Book Best International Crime (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book Best International Crime (Mammoth Books)
Price: 0.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 21 Jan 2011
I had been disappointed with the short stories I had downloaded but this proved to be first rate. Many favourites are included - nordic noir, italian noir and the likes of Jeffrey Deaver. I wish I'd kept it for my holidays now!

The Pulitzer Prize Collection (12 Books)
The Pulitzer Prize Collection (12 Books)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Jan 2011
I am a new Android user and have learnt, the hard way, that things are not always as they seem. This is NOT 13 pulitzer prizewinners but one book - since there is no author mentioned we will have to assume it is a prizewinner. It was obviously written a great many years ago. Not my taste at all.

The Ultimate Collection of American Short Stories (100+ Stories)
The Ultimate Collection of American Short Stories (100+ Stories)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not expensive but misleading., 21 Jan 2011
While I appreciate this is not expensive I would at least have liked to know the authors name! It is not a mix of 100 stories from various authors as I assumed but one unknown writer. The stories seem to be set in the 1920's - so if you like writing from this era you may want to give it a chance.