Profile for Gillian > Reviews

Content by Gillian

Gillian

Snobbery with Violence (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series 1)
Snobbery with Violence (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series 1)
by M.C. Beaton

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Stars Max., 10 Feb. 2012
I truly don't understand how this book has such high ratings. The characters are barely likable, in fact, they complain incessantly like teenagers throughout the whole series. The main character Lady Rose Summer is such a snob it's almost unbearable. Her flightiness and her easy declarations of how much she 'hates' Captain Cathcart one minute and loves him the next gets extremely tiresome after awhile. Unfortunately for me, when I get a series I have to read all of them and after reading the four books in this series, I can honestly say that I wish I hadn't wasted my time. I kept expecting the books to get consecutively better to no avail. The ending of the series isn't worth the annoyance I felt reading these books.
The murders are interesting (which is why I gave 3 stars instead of 2) and I did enjoy solving them with Lady Rose and Captain Cathcart but after awhile the plot-line of Lady Rose putting herself in danger to get the last clue just gets overdone! I can completely understand Captain Cathcart's disgust/anger with her.
These books were recommended to me because I enjoyed Deanna Raybourn's series, but I have to say that Ms. Raybourn's books are on a completely other level than this series by M.C. Beaton.