Profile for Brian > Reviews

Mozart - Serenades
Mozart - Serenades
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylishly played Mozart, 2 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Mozart - Serenades (Audio CD)
Mozart Serenades is perhaps a misleading title for an album which contains one Serenade! However, the other works are delightful and well worth the money. Mozart is always an enjoyable listen, but this disc has something extra. The talented Scottish Chamber Orchestra is confidently led by Alexander Janiczek who produces dynamic and musical performances. Janiczek is also a talented soloist and his talents are well displayed here in the many opportunities for him to shine. Exuberant and vivacious playing is enhanced by the unique cadenzas, again courtesy of the clever Mr Janiczek.

In Perpetuity [Hybrid SACD]
In Perpetuity [Hybrid SACD]

4.0 out of 5 stars A new ambient jazz find, 27 Jun. 2006
I stumbled across this disc and was very pleasantly surprised at the ambient compositions of guitar player Haftor Medboe. Trumpet, sax, percussion and guitar is perhaps not the most likely combo but the sounds meld together brilliantly and the sound is fresh, which is a feat in itself. If you are not a fan of contemporary jazz, you should give this a listen and have your mind changed! It should also appeal to fans of the ECM label as it has definite classical crossover leanings.

"Hop Skip" is my favourite track (which could be a Pat Metheny track) and shows off the skills of the trombone player to the max.

Drawn to All Things: Songs of Joni Mitchell [Sacd/CD Hybrid]
Drawn to All Things: Songs of Joni Mitchell [Sacd/CD Hybrid]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Joni Mitchell covers album, 5 April 2006
I've just bought this album and have fallen in love with it! Ian Shaw is a great singer so I was always going to buy this album, but I was surprised by how much I liked the Joni Mitchell covers. I've never been a big Joni fan but these songs are amazing sung by Shaw. I could listen to 'A case of you' over and over again - it is so beautiful (and my wife's favourite) and I also adore 'Night in the City' and 'Barangrill'. Great guest artists as well and some superb arrangements with lots of variety in style. All in all a must-have album. Love it.

Robert Burns: My Heart's in the Highlands
Robert Burns: My Heart's in the Highlands

4.0 out of 5 stars A new favourite, 23 Mar. 2006
I never expected to like this - I gave it a try because I like Linn as a label and the price was great. This CD of Robert Burns tunes really is delightful. I knew a lot of the melodies (or did it just instantly feel like I did?) and the singers and musicians did them justice. I played it twice straight through when I first heard it - I usually listen to it all first then pick out my favourites to hear again, but I kept thinking 'oh this one is nice too' and eventually after standing with my finger hovering over the 'next' button for about five minutes, just sat down and enjoyed it all again! The track "Ah Chloris" is my highlight - just touches an old man's heart.

Bach Sonatas and Chorales  [Hybrid SACD - Works on all CD players]
Bach Sonatas and Chorales [Hybrid SACD - Works on all CD players]

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this recording!, 23 Mar. 2006
I've been a fan of the Palladian Ensemble almost since they began and have enjoyed all their discs immensely. This new Bach disc which includes self-penned arrangements of Bach Chorales and Trio Sonatas has some really magical moments. Pamela Thorby is thrilling as always, her recorder playing is fresh and joyful - in fact that is one word that can be applied to most Palladian Ensemble performances - joyful! They bring a sense of sparkle to the music which is infectious and you always enjoy it along with them. I love this disc - I hope you will too I give it a resounding FIVE STARS!