Profile for The Lady J > Reviews

Content by The Lady J

The Lady J "The Lady J" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dermalogica Multi- Vitamin Power Firm Cream 0.5oz
Dermalogica Multi- Vitamin Power Firm Cream 0.5oz
Offered by Healthy World Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye really love this!, 15 Mar. 2016
I am a massive fan of this eye cream. It smells delightfully like fruity bubblegum and is extremely silky, smooth and gentle to apply. I've been using it for several months now and along with a sensible skin care routine it has made a massive difference. I swear the skin around my eyes looks five years younger than it did this time last year. I was always sceptical about whether or not eye cream was really worth it but I wouldn't give this up for anything now. It's expensive but like all Dermalogica stuff it lasts forever (2-3 months of applying it every day) and genuinely works.

p.s. sorry for the rubbish headline pun!

Devil's Consort
Devil's Consort

5.0 out of 5 stars History Lessons: The Sequel, 12 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Devil's Consort (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I probably should disclose that Anne O'Brien taught me A Level history (hello Mrs O'Brien!) and in doing so, instilled in me a lifelong interest in British monarchs. Therefore I was incredibly excited to discover that she has since turned her hand to writing and so bought Devil's Consort immediately, albeit with some trepidation in case it wasn't any good.

I needed have worried... I loved this story. Eleanor of Aquitaine is a fascinating character anyway and to have her brought to life and given voice added a richness to what I already knew of her. It's an easy read and clearly a great deal of thought has gone into looking at what happened and trying to imagine how she would have thought or felt about her life. The pay off for this is that she has a strong and clear voice throughout and the story is all the more powerful for it. The history of Eleanor's early life is woven cleverly into the plot... vases, uncles, Papal bed linen all deftly included.

Definitely worth reading. All that's left for me to do now is head off to buy another O'Brien book...

Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable in White 5 Metres
Offered by Cable Matters

1.0 out of 5 stars An utterly useless item and complete waste of money, 6 Mar. 2016
I bought this for use while working abroad as I wanted a longer cable than the one I already had. It never worked and being overseas I could not return it. For clarity, when I tested using my old cable on exactly the same device and ports there was no issue. Replace the cable with this new one and there was no picture or sound.

Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater - White
Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it sounds, 28 Feb. 2016
I have been using this product for about six months now and whilst it's good enough, it's nothing special and there are some irritating factors.

The handle itself feels well made and strong and is very easy to clean - even by hand. Actually, I think with a bit of care the blades are also easy to clean by hand though you do have to be careful to wipe the cloth or sponge in the same direction as the blades rather than against them. It comes with two size blades but I'll be honest, I've never really used the small one as it's tricky enough with the larger blade. Switching the blades can be a little bit tricky because there doesn't seem to be quite a clean fit on mine and so the blade drum needs to be a certain way round to fit through.

It's a great idea to just turn a small handle to grate and should work better than it does. I have relatively small hands and I cannot put enough pressure on the closed part of the handle to push to food against the blades with enough force to grate it properly. The handle also is very easy to flip inwards again and so I often find it suddenly doing so and my hand drawn to the centre of the blade drum. Also, whilst it hasn't broken the handle does feel quite flimsy and I find myself expecting it to give up any day.

In addition, some food stuffs clog the blades (ginger, for example). Softer foods, like cheese, fare much better and the blades are very sharp and tackle them easily enough. By it's nature, you can only really grate small amounts at a time but this hasn't been as much of a problem as it sounds and may even have helped reduce how much cheese I eat!

Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo

5.0 out of 5 stars A great learner and an even better teacher, 28 Feb. 2016
I have to confess to being a bit of a Lawrence Anthony fan. Ever since I read his book on elephants I have been hooked and immediately devoured this book and his one on rhinos. As a man who lived a full and fascinating life and to read his stories feels like a real privilege. More than just the animals (and there is plenty on them) his books also contain great insights into cultures and traditions and the psychology of teams achieving more than they thought possible. He brings humans and animals together and gave me a real sense of us all being connected without ever being preachy or too 'goody-two-shoes' (if you know what I mean).

For that reason his books are inspirational read and I struggle to imagine anyone who is interested in these subjects being disappointed.

Sm Holiday Babble Ball Dogs Christmas Toy Ball Pets Dog
Sm Holiday Babble Ball Dogs Christmas Toy Ball Pets Dog

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved by a very small Jack Russell, 28 Feb. 2016
These balls (the small normal and holiday versions) have been a staple present of a little Jack Russell for many years now. He loves to toss them about and absolutely adores chewing away on them. Despite chewing at them several times a day, they don't so much break as just wear smooth. At the point when all the ridges have gone it's time to buy a new one! The voices eventually go on them but last a very long time and have a great habit of emitting the funniest phrase at the funniest moments - almost like the dog now has a voice and is commentating on whatever is going on.

They are just the right size for him to handle easily without being small enough to pose a safety risk.

Anyway, he is lost without his Babble Ball and I live in fear that one day I won;t be able to get a replacement.

Plackers Flosser, Right Angle, 75 Count
Plackers Flosser, Right Angle, 75 Count
Offered by united care

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the back teeth, 28 Feb. 2016
For me these are the only way to floss your back teeth. They are comfortable to use, allow you to get to the very back and I have never had one break on me. The floss slides in easily and makes light work of getting to the very back of your mouth.

Burt's Bees Almond and Milk Hand Cream, 57 g
Burt's Bees Almond and Milk Hand Cream, 57 g

4.0 out of 5 stars The only hand cream I have found that works, 28 Feb. 2016
I have pretty dry hands and over the years this has resulted in dry, cracked and untidy cuticles. About a year or so ago I started to use this hand cream every day, at the end of the day. The difference is marked and I can always tell when I've missed a few days.

It is very thick and so takes quite a while to absorb (especially if, like me, you use a lot). However, I apply it last thing at night and by the next morning my hands are soft and supple and the skin on them is stronger and more resilient. This lasts more than a day.

The small is almond but there is also a slightly unpleasant chemical tinge to it as well but this doesn't transfer or linger on my hands so I just try not to smell it too much when applying.

A pot will last for a very long time - even using my big 'blobs' of it every day it still goes for more than a month.

Occasionally I get tempted to try other (more expensive) hand creams but I always come straight back to this one.

Dermalogica Multi-Vitamin Power Recovery Masque 2.5oz
Dermalogica Multi-Vitamin Power Recovery Masque 2.5oz
Offered by Hot Beauty Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells like polyfiller but works like a miracle, 28 Feb. 2016
About a year ago I fell in love with Dermalogica stuff having stumbled across them. Since then I have been using this face mask weekly, in conjunction with the microfoliant and it's a great way to clean and treat my skin. The mask itself smells a lot like something you might pick up at a DIY store but it is easy to apply and gentle on the skin. It always leaves my face feeling soft and smooth and ready to accept a moisturiser. Over time it has played a large role in my skin being at it's absolute best. It is expensive and I can be excessive in the amount I apply but it easily lasts ten weeks or more.

Thermos Radiance 12 Can Cooler Bag - Navy
Thermos Radiance 12 Can Cooler Bag - Navy

4.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job well, 28 Feb. 2016
I bought this to bring UK cheese with me whilst living abroad and for that purpose it's very good. Frozen cheddar, packed with two slim chill boards remains completely frozen 15 hours later when unpacked. The bag itself is small, sturdy and well made and I could imagine it holding a cool lunch pack for 2-3 people with ease.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5