Profile for A. P. Rickards > Reviews

Content by A. P. Rickards

A. P. Rickards (Sydney, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra Update
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra Update

5.0 out of 5 stars Album for serious Jazz aficionado, 12 Dec. 2014
I'm not familiar with the original but was pleasantly surprised by this album. As a fan of both Jazz and contemporary classical music 'The Jazz Composer's Orchestra Update' is just my cup of tea. The orchestration is rich and colourful and while I wouldn't describe any of the music as immediately memorable the album does repay repeated listenings - in fact that is often a good sign in my experience.
The music is kind or heavy for the most part and it's not the sort of album you want in the background. I highly recommend it though for any serious Jazz aficionado.

Lumen Drones
Lumen Drones

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Lumen Drones (Audio CD)
Excellent album, colourful and highly evocative. It has a similar flavour to the 1982 albums but over all is a bit denser and heavier - not a bad thing though. The tone is quite dark overall and would probably make a great film soundtrack.

The Nature Of Connections
The Nature Of Connections

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 25 Sept. 2014
Quite different to Henriksen's other work, this is nonetheless an excellent addition to his discography. The performances are all accoustic (string quartet, trumpet, piano, and percussion) and has a much more 'classical' feel than his other albums. It features a great line up of musicians including Nils Økland and Svante Henryson.

Black Sea
Black Sea

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge the album by its cover., 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Black Sea (Audio CD)
Fennesz seems to have a way of using color, texture, and mood to paint musical landscapes which I don't think I have heard in any other artist. If you can appreciate music without clearly defined melodies, harmonies, rhythms etc. then this is definitely worth having a listen to. I think this a case where you can judge the book (in this case, album) by its cover.

Knoxville
Knoxville
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent exploration of colour, mood, and texture., 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Knoxville (Audio CD)
I discovered Fennesz via his collaborations with Ryuichi Sakamoto and was already a big fan of the Necks (Tony Buck). This album exceeded my expectations. It's a excellent exploration of colour, mood, and texture. You want to be sure to listen to it with an open mind though. There is little in the way of melody or thematic material but if you listen to it properly it can be a rewarding experience.

Narrative From The Subtropics
Narrative From The Subtropics

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, 25 Feb. 2014
This has to be one of the most incredible albums I have ever heard. Dark, profound, and beautiful in equal measures. I don't know what is happening in Norway at the moment but the concentration of musical talent there is almost beyond belief. Fans of Norway's electronic nu-jazz scene (Arve Henriksen, Eivind Aarset, Nils Petter Molvær, all of whom appear on this album) should definitely buy this. It reminds me most of Arve Henriksen's "Cartography", another one of my all time favourites.

Ellivan
Ellivan

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic album fro Arve Henriksen, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Ellivan (Audio CD)
This might not immediately appeal to many people. A good deal of the album is Elling Vanberg reading his own poetry in Norwegian (I think...) but he has great voice and the music is as good as anything you might expect from Arve Henriksen. This is Arve Henriksen in one of his more reflective moods and definitely belongs on the shelf of any Arve Henriksen fan.

On The Path Of Death And Life - Fumio Yasuda
On The Path Of Death And Life - Fumio Yasuda

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 31 Oct. 2013
I don't think I've ever had such a rich listening experience before hearing this album. It is truly remarkable and the ambitious title does little justice to what you'll actually hear - but it's a very apt title nonetheless.I've never had an album touch me so deeply before and I honestly can't say what it is about this album that I find so moving. I'd give it 10 stars out of 5 if I could. I hate writing reviews but I actually went out of my way to write this one because it is such a special album.

Small Labyrinths
Small Labyrinths

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing line up, great album., 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Small Labyrinths (Audio CD)
I love this album, it's right up my alley, but may prove somewhat challenging to the average listener. Percussion is definitely at the forefront of this album. I would encourage anybody with a sense of adventure to give this album a go, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park. It's more like an alien abduction.

Celestial Circle
Celestial Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars A true gem, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Celestial Circle (Audio CD)
I really think this is one of those special albums that only come along every once in a while. It has that rare combination of musical sophistication and accessibility. Of course I understand that it may not be everyone cup of tea... but it should be.

"Celestial Cirlce" is an apt title for this album as it does have a rather ethereal quality to it, but it isn't lite. The music on this album has depth and weight to it. The performances and recording is superb also.

I highly recommend this album, especially to those who, like myself, are interested in not only jazz but also contemporary classical music, and world music. Don't let that last statement fool you though, this isn't fusion music really... it's just excellent.

I have most of Marilyn Mazur's albums and this is definitely my favourite.

Page: 1 | 2