Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Maria Virokhovsky > Reviews

Content by Maria Virokhovsky

Maria Virokhovsky

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fifty Shades of Grey: The Unseen Edition [DVD] [2015]
Fifty Shades of Grey: The Unseen Edition [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jamie Dornan

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 24 Jan. 2016
A very lovely film, enjoyed it in the cinema and now enjoy the dvd. The actors are very good, I feared the story won't translate well into the film, but it did, perfectly. Like with Twilight, I loved the film more than the book. Dakota and Jimmy are a lovely discovery, will look into their careers and films now. A beautiful love story, which I don't think has ever been told before. If you're into romance, you will love this film.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition Box Set) [DVD]
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by The Gift Locker

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptianal, 24 Jan. 2016
My lovely one, my precious. Adore these films, adore these actors. One by one - brilliant. Brilliant music, actors, scenery, story-telling, cinematography. Own this box myself, and bought another one as a present for my friend, who is a fan, too. The supplementary material is also interesting. Buy it, you won't regret it!

Jeeves and the Yule-Tide Spirit and Other Stories
Jeeves and the Yule-Tide Spirit and Other Stories
by P. G. Wodehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this book, 24 Jan. 2016
I highly recommend this book. I didn't expect to enjoy other stories, which are not about Jeeves and Wooster, and I did, enormously. Wodehouse make for a very enjoyable, light but no dull, reading. The stories are engaging, in short - pure pleasure.

Our Mutual Friend (Repackaged) [DVD] [1998]
Our Mutual Friend (Repackaged) [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Paul McGann

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful adaptation. Dickens' world recreated very nicely, 24 Jan. 2016
A wonderful adaptation. Dickens' world recreated very nicely, with great actors. The wonderful Keeley Hawes (for whose sake I purchased the dvd) is spectacular, as always. And this film introduced me to another great actor, whose passionate fan I am ever since - Steven Mackintosh. He was superb in the role, really made you feel for his character. In short, only praise for this dvd, buy it, you won't regret it!

Xscape
Xscape

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Xscape (Audio CD)
What can I say, it's Michael, and I'll buy anything which has his beautiful voice (or person) in it. But as my sister, who's also a fan, told me - the originals are the best deal, this is the rhythm and a beat of Michael. So go for this version of CD, because it contains the originals, and the remixes or "proper" versions I could really do without. And only 8 songs.... C'mon, give us more Sony! At least 10 as was for the album Michael, which was a far stronger album, in my opinion.

Criminal Justice - Series Two [DVD]
Criminal Justice - Series Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steven Mackintosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Great actors, interesting story (spoilers), 15 Jun. 2014
I bought this DVD to see one of my favorite actors, Matthew Macfadyen. His character is very interesting and complicated, and he played it beautifully (as he always does), and rightly got BAFTA for this. Actually, a lot of actors were familiar to me from other movies I've seen with Matthew, so to have likable actors was a huge plus of this film. Also the characters and their journeys are very interesting, you get involved. I had a problem with the story though. I'm a feminist, but this movie made a joke of feminism. SPOILERS: The heroine of the movie, a controlled victimized unstable woman kills her "bad" husband in a cold blood and gets away with it. Just because she's a woman, I think, which is an outrage. So, if my husband is being bad to me - although he really never raises a hand on her, only helps her throughout, a bit of control freak but that might be justified because she has an affair with another man and he suspects it - I can just kill him. Because I'm a poor little woman, who got married to the wrong man. Oh, and this "bad" man is adored by his teenage daughter and by his colleagues. Cool move. So it was really irritating in this sense, and I watched only 3 episodes out of 5 to see Matthew, but I still enjoyed them, they're gripping but not perfect.

Ripper Street - Series 2 [DVD]
Ripper Street - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Macfadyen
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 6 Mar. 2014
I know the ratings were down as compared to season 1, when the series 2 aired in UK, and I think I know why. We suffer with Reid as he struggles to overcome evil and corruption in British criminal life of the time, and fails. When innocent victims die one after another in this series. When no "poetic justice" takes place. It is hard to watch, although it is probably how life really was and is, but it doesn't make it enjoyable. Series 1 was dealing with hard times, too, but at least Reid was victorious, and good prevailed over evil, so to speak. But don't get me wrong, the series are still brilliant. Season 2 episodes are each dealing with some serious historical matter of that time, and how the people are coping with that. The episodes are poignant and beautiful (well, for me it's when I shut my eyes not to see some slashed throats etc.), stories are very interesting and moving. Reid (the beautiful and talanted Matthew Macfadyen) is sexy as hell in this. I cannot wait for series 3, I'm so proud of the victory we the fans achieved, when our petition worked and the series were resurrected. Just please, the producers: a trifle more comedy, and a little less darkness. "I have had enough of the darkness, now I would like you to show me the sun" says Reid to his new love interest, Jane, and I totally agree with him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 3:15 AM BST

Death at a Funeral [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Death at a Funeral [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Black comedy, 6 Mar. 2014
I'm a bit torn about how to recommend this movie. It is very good amost in all of its parts - not only funny, but also touching, teaching a bit, just like I love in movies - not thoughtless entertainment, but also inspiring, with a nice dramma. The problem is that at least 2 scenes in this movie are completely redundant, and they downgrade it so fiercely that it may spoil all the viewing process altogether. So what I do, is skip them when I rewatch this film (totally worth rewatching, at least to have another look at the glorious married pair who play husband and wife in the movie, too - the beautiful and talanted Matthew Macfadyen and his stunning lovely wife Keeley Howes), and this is how I can enjoy this movie to the fullest and say it's brilliant. I'm not sure who told the producers it's funny to be stained with human excrement or to be drugged. Ignore it, and you have a beautiful, deep film about growing confident about what you do, a power of love who doesn't leave you when you're down, and the importance of communication (speaking up), that can change behaivours and indeed fates of those who listen.

Music from the Motion Picture 'Pride and Prejudice'
Music from the Motion Picture 'Pride and Prejudice'

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Pride and Prejudice, 16 Dec. 2013
I must say I loved this movie beyond words. I am a fan of the BBC version, and of Colin Firth, but this Pride and Prejudice was just amazing. I love Keira and her Oscar nomination for the role of Lizzie Bennet is well-deserved. Her Lizzie is compassinate, not just witty and audacious. Her love for Darcy visibly grows, unaffected by his wealth. And I became a Matthew Macfadyen fanatic after this movie, of course. You cannot not to. He delivers such Darcy that just blows you away. As much as I love Colin, he saw Darcy as a proud bastard, and this is how he played him - this is what he himself said. Still, his Darcy is lovable, because it's Colin, c'mon. But Matthew's Darcy is a much deeper character. He's conflicted, he's tormented, he's confused, he's misunderstood. He really is heartbreaking. And a sexual tension between his Darcy and Lizzie is so strong, it's a beautiful thing to watch, very overwhelming as it is heartbreaking, because they keep pushing each other away inspite of a very strong mutual attraction. The movie is more realistic in terms of the life in the country, which I could do without, actually, but what is more important, about the choices these people have. When Mrs. Bennet says they are going to starve once Mr. Bennet is dead, it's not a joke, but a reality. When Charlotte Lucas says she would marry anyone with a home, it's not because she's not romantic as in the BBC version, but because she's 27, with no money or prospects, and already a burden to her family. This movie is delightful, romantic, passionate, and the final scence when Mr. and Mrs. Darcy kiss at their home is beautiful beyond compare. Buy this version of DVD, as some have this most berautiful scene of this film cut. Don't miss it!!!

In My Father's Den [DVD] [2005]
In My Father's Den [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Matthew Macfadyen

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, sad, haunting, 16 Dec. 2013
This is a great movie, with some exceptional acting, interesting story, touching deep characters. It can be read on many levels, each helping to understand the movie's themes, which are not so easy to grasp. It is, among other things, about the cost that has to be paid for a mistake, I think. And the cost is very heavy, and that is why it's so unbearably sad, and it affects not only you but also people around you. It is a must see for Matthew Macfadyen's fans, he carries the entire movie, he's almost in every frame, and the director lets him display his immense talent, captivating personality, and shows nicely his beauty. You see some skin, hehe, and it does not disappoint. But I must say as much as I was stunned by his performance, Emily Barclay was great, too, and so was the beautiful Miranda Otto whom I love since The Lord of the Rings. One tiny criticism is that a vey crucial scene was cut from Region 2 edition. Buy region 4, it contains a sex scene with Matthew's character which is very explanatory in terms of the complexities of the character. Who thought about cutting it is beyond my understanding, as it isn't offensive in the least, but very powerful and heartbreaking. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3