Profile for Maria Virokhovsky > Reviews

Xscape
Xscape
Offered by MediaMine

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Xscape (Audio CD)
What can I say, it's Michael, and I'll buy anything which has his beautiful voice (or person) in it. But as my sister, who's also a fan, told me - the originals are the best deal, this is the rhythm and a beat of Michael. So go for this version of CD, because it contains the originals, and the remixes or "proper" versions I could really do without. And only 8 songs.... C'mon, give us more Sony! At least 10 as was for the album Michael, which was a far stronger album, in my opinion.

Criminal Justice - Series Two [DVD]
Criminal Justice - Series Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steven Mackintosh

4.0 out of 5 stars Great actors, interesting story (spoilers), 15 Jun 2014
I bought this DVD to see one of my favorite actors, Matthew Macfadyen. His character is very interesting and complicated, and he played it beautifully (as he always does), and rightly got BAFTA for this. Actually, a lot of actors were familiar to me from other movies I've seen with Matthew, so to have likable actors was a huge plus of this film. Also the characters and their journeys are very interesting, you get involved. I had a problem with the story though. I'm a feminist, but this movie made a joke of feminism. SPOILERS: The heroine of the movie, a controlled victimized unstable woman kills her "bad" husband in a cold blood and gets away with it. Just because she's a woman, I think, which is an outrage. So, if my husband is being bad to me - although he really never raises a hand on her, only helps her throughout, a bit of control freak but that might be justified because she has an affair with another man and he suspects it - I can just kill him. Because I'm a poor little woman, who got married to the wrong man. Oh, and this "bad" man is adored by his teenage daughter and by his colleagues. Cool move. So it was really irritating in this sense, and I watched only 3 episodes out of 5 to see Matthew, but I still enjoyed them, they're gripping but not perfect.

Ripper Street - Series 2 [DVD]
Ripper Street - Series 2 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 6 Mar 2014
I know the ratings were down as compared to season 1, when the series 2 aired in UK, and I think I know why. We suffer with Reid as he struggles to overcome evil and corruption in British criminal life of the time, and fails. When innocent victims die one after another in this series. When no "poetic justice" takes place. It is hard to watch, although it is probably how life really was and is, but it doesn't make it enjoyable. Series 1 was dealing with hard times, too, but at least Reid was victorious, and good prevailed over evil, so to speak. But don't get me wrong, the series are still brilliant. Season 2 episodes are each dealing with some serious historical matter of that time, and how the people are coping with that. The episodes are poignant and beautiful (well, for me it's when I shut my eyes not to see some slashed throats etc.), stories are very interesting and moving. Reid (the beautiful and talanted Matthew Macfadyen) is sexy as hell in this. I cannot wait for series 3, I'm so proud of the victory we the fans achieved, when our petition worked and the series were resurrected. Just please, the producers: a trifle more comedy, and a little less darkness. "I have had enough of the darkness, now I would like you to show me the sun" says Reid to his new love interest, Jane, and I totally agree with him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 3:15 AM BST

Death at a Funeral [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Death at a Funeral [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars Black comedy, 6 Mar 2014
I'm a bit torn about how to recommend this movie. It is very good amost in all of its parts - not only funny, but also touching, teaching a bit, just like I love in movies - not thoughtless entertainment, but also inspiring, with a nice dramma. The problem is that at least 2 scenes in this movie are completely redundant, and they downgrade it so fiercely that it may spoil all the viewing process altogether. So what I do, is skip them when I rewatch this film (totally worth rewatching, at least to have another look at the glorious married pair who play husband and wife in the movie, too - the beautiful and talanted Matthew Macfadyen and his stunning lovely wife Keeley Howes), and this is how I can enjoy this movie to the fullest and say it's brilliant. I'm not sure who told the producers it's funny to be stained with human excrement or to be drugged. Ignore it, and you have a beautiful, deep film about growing confident about what you do, a power of love who doesn't leave you when you're down, and the importance of communication (speaking up), that can change behaivours and indeed fates of those who listen.

Music from the Motion Picture 'Pride and Prejudice'
Music from the Motion Picture 'Pride and Prejudice'

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Pride and Prejudice, 16 Dec 2013
I must say I loved this movie beyond words. I am a fan of the BBC version, and of Colin Firth, but this Pride and Prejudice was just amazing. I love Keira and her Oscar nomination for the role of Lizzie Bennet is well-deserved. Her Lizzie is compassinate, not just witty and audacious. Her love for Darcy visibly grows, unaffected by his wealth. And I became a Matthew Macfadyen fanatic after this movie, of course. You cannot not to. He delivers such Darcy that just blows you away. As much as I love Colin, he saw Darcy as a proud bastard, and this is how he played him - this is what he himself said. Still, his Darcy is lovable, because it's Colin, c'mon. But Matthew's Darcy is a much deeper character. He's conflicted, he's tormented, he's confused, he's misunderstood. He really is heartbreaking. And a sexual tension between his Darcy and Lizzie is so strong, it's a beautiful thing to watch, very overwhelming as it is heartbreaking, because they keep pushing each other away inspite of a very strong mutual attraction. The movie is more realistic in terms of the life in the country, which I could do without, actually, but what is more important, about the choices these people have. When Mrs. Bennet says they are going to starve once Mr. Bennet is dead, it's not a joke, but a reality. When Charlotte Lucas says she would marry anyone with a home, it's not because she's not romantic as in the BBC version, but because she's 27, with no money or prospects, and already a burden to her family. This movie is delightful, romantic, passionate, and the final scence when Mr. and Mrs. Darcy kiss at their home is beautiful beyond compare. Buy this version of DVD, as some have this most berautiful scene of this film cut. Don't miss it!!!

In My Father's Den [DVD] [2005]
In My Father's Den [DVD] [2005]

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, sad, haunting, 16 Dec 2013
This is a great movie, with some exceptional acting, interesting story, touching deep characters. It can be read on many levels, each helping to understand the movie's themes, which are not so easy to grasp. It is, among other things, about the cost that has to be paid for a mistake, I think. And the cost is very heavy, and that is why it's so unbearably sad, and it affects not only you but also people around you. It is a must see for Matthew Macfadyen's fans, he carries the entire movie, he's almost in every frame, and the director lets him display his immense talent, captivating personality, and shows nicely his beauty. You see some skin, hehe, and it does not disappoint. But I must say as much as I was stunned by his performance, Emily Barclay was great, too, and so was the beautiful Miranda Otto whom I love since The Lord of the Rings. One tiny criticism is that a vey crucial scene was cut from Region 2 edition. Buy region 4, it contains a sex scene with Matthew's character which is very explanatory in terms of the complexities of the character. Who thought about cutting it is beyond my understanding, as it isn't offensive in the least, but very powerful and heartbreaking. Highly recommended.

Spooks - BBC Series 3 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Spooks - BBC Series 3 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keeley Hawes

3.0 out of 5 stars I miss Tom Quinn, 16 Dec 2013
I love Matthew Macfadyen and couldn't cope with the idea that Tom is leaving. I know it was Matthew's decision to leave the series (he doesn't like playing the same character for too long + it was all too time - consuming, didn't leave much time for some personal life), but I still simply cannot let him go. I'm glad that Spooks survived his departure and was able to run for 10 seasons, because I think that for the most part, it's a wonderful and original show, with great writing. But still, I'm not interested in Spooks without Tom Quinn, the main character, so the first 2 episodes is all I watched. Love the first, second is much weaker. I like MI5 to be the good body, caring for people and their protection, I don't like to see it taking advantage of civilians etc. It's England, not Sudan. So, a bit dissapointed by their moral center, like Tom, hehe, and quite happy to take my leave.

Spooks - BBC Series 1 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Spooks - BBC Series 1 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew MacFadyen

5.0 out of 5 stars Entranced, 3 Oct 2013
The first season of Spooks is a jem, and gift from heaven. Especially, to fans of the beautiful Matthew Macfadyen, like myself. I just can't praise it enough. The stories are so very interesting, and mind you, I'm not a fan of action movies. I just don't like mindless suspense and running about, but sometimes, you have a lot of humanity and intellegence in an action piece. This was the case with Spooks season 1. The stories are just interesting. To see how spies cope with situations of Britain's national security, how their personal lives are affected by their job, how they interact with people, what situations they cope with and how they cope, is just very interesting. Add to that brilliantly written, interesting characters, played to perfection by a bunch of exceptionally talanted actors, and also a very talanted direction, and you just get 6 hours of pure pleasure. A word of caution about episode 2 - it involves a torture scene, just close your eyes for a few moments. After it aired, the producers got a lot of complains from the viewers, so thankfully, the violence was toned down from that point on. Other than that, the show is perfect.

Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008]
Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Claire Foy

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Little Dorrit [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is just a great show. The wonderful Andrew Davis wrote a great sript, as usual, rewriting the classic into a version more acceptable morally and emotionally to the modern audience. The acting is great, and the wonderful Matthew Macfadyen just lights up the screen every time you see him. This really is a story about him, to me, one man's exploration about himelf, not only where he comes from, but, similarly, his true feelings. He learns about relationships, about people, about lots of things, and you the viewer make this journey with him. I just wish the show was more centred on his character, other characters are much less interesting. Apart from that, I find the show spectacular in every way, very humane, and very endearing. I wish there were more shows like that.

Spooks - BBC Series 2 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Spooks - BBC Series 2 (New Packaging) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Megan Dodds
Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Weaker than season 1, but still very good, until episode 8, that is., 3 Oct 2013
I loved season 1 to pieces. I'm a Matthew Macfadyen fan, and he's glowing in this show. The episodes' story lines are generally very well written, nicely shot and brilliantly acted. However, the end of the series was a disappointment. The arch they made the main character undergo made no sense. On DVD extras one of the show's creators said that they wanted his "conscience to kick in", so that he becomes disillusioned with his job, which was just stupid and illogical, because they're "saving the world" in every episode. The last episode with CIA made no sense at all, a complete mess. You could really see the quality of the episodes deteriorating in the last 2-3 episodes of season 2. Again, on the dvd extras someone said that initially they were preparing to shoot 8, and in the end they had to do 10. Piece of advice - don't do anything at all if you do it badly, this really spoils things.

That said, I enjoyed enormously season 2 episodes 1-8(7.5), up to the point when Matthew's character starts quarreling with his boss. Also made no sense - they worked along one another for many years, it seems, Tom's in the service since he was a student, it's quite impossible to find out you don't get along with your boss after all these years. But, apart from the weak 2 last episodes, you will enjoy the show enormously. There are a few scences though that are not very watchable, because they include images or actions of torture, but they are quite few and you can close your eyes. I wish entertainment would stop being about violence, this is just irritating and disgusting, not entartaining at all. It's part of life, but can be suggested, not grossly depicted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3