Profile for hanran > Reviews

Content by hanran

hanran

Prometheus - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

1.0 out of 5 stars What a mess, 20 Oct 2012
From beginning to end a less than half hearted mish mash of ideas and story lines, and a desperate waste of a quality cast. several hundred years into the future and they are using quad bikes and flame throwers? really. No plot no story line no cohesion, just a few moments with a giant squid a Giant squid in space.. really. I watch a lot of movies and this was one of the worst of the year. Do not waste your money, rent it first I assure you, you will not want to buy it. Ridley should hang his head in shame, by far and a way his worst film.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 10:16 PM GMT

Google Nexus 7 (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.1)
Google Nexus 7 (8GB, WiFi, Android 4.1)

2.0 out of 5 stars rushed out and poorly assembled, 31 Aug 2012
I ordered one of these from Google Play as no other uk retailer had stock.

I wish I had not. For £10 they promise a two day delivery. It took 10 days and a dozen or so emails and several phone calls to arrange deliver.

I eventually tracked down the courier in the street who could not find my address, despite being a high street.

The Nexus 7 itself seemed fine at first. Then I switched it on at night and it became obvious the screen was not fitted properly, as 4 led light spots were bleeding across the screen from the left side, making it impossible to view media or web pages clearly.

more phone calls, lots more emails, printing your own returns info, waiting for a signed for return packet from TNT. arranging and waiting in for collection.

All in all a very very poor service and device.

I actually quite like the device although there are some glaring and frankly stupid design and software issues. The most stupid is that the screen does not rotate to landscape on the home screen. As I was using it to browse and watch media in a desk stand designed to hold it in landscape this was incredibly annoying and frankly unbelievably stupid.

The second problem is the volume and on off buttons, which are close together and almost flush with the frame making them almost impossible to locate and very easy to press the off button by mistake.

There is no on screen volume control making it a tiresome and irritating problem.

The most glaring and deal breaking issue though for me was that there is no Flash support, quite unbelievable given just how much content like BBC iplayer require this.

All in all I found Apps and work around on line for all these problems but this took several days looking and downloading when it could so easily have been included by Google. I would love to know the reasons and speak to the idiots who took these decisions to make quite a decent device a frustrating difficult to use disappointment.

The customer service and communication from Google was useless.

The device could be great had it not been rushed out and poorly put together.

My strong advice is to wait for the apple mini or the next generation Nexus which might have solved some of the many issues with this device.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 7:33 AM BST

Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
by Prof Mark Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars a compassionate, thoughtful, life changing book and CD, 5 Sep 2011
I would like to thank the authors for providing such a well researched practical and beneficial book and CD.

Before reading this book and listening to the CD and practicing the techniques found in it, I had never really considered what meditation was or that it may be of practical help in living a more content peaceful and balanced life.

I now know that meditation, and more especially this mindful secular type of meditation is a very useful practical tool for gaining a level of balance, control and calm in life I had thought unlikely if not impossible.

The CD is well constructed and free from any kind of religious overtones, except for the bell at the beginning and end of each exercise. The simple clear instructions are spoken in a kind calm manner, and are for the most part very easy to follow, though I found I needed slightly more time than was sometimes given.

The meditations are given in 8 stages. Each meditation lasts about 6-7 minutes and is practiced once or twice a day for 6 days. I found this quite difficult to fit in at first but soon found I was making the time and enjoying the practice more and more. I down loaded the CD onto my mobile and found this to be much more convenient and practical.

It seemed like quite a commitment 8 weeks of practice, but in all honestly it takes so little of your time once you get used to it that the whole program flew by.

There are several other mindfulness techniques you can choose to practice along with the meditations, which I also found to be very interesting and thought provoking. Once you begin to train yourself to be more mindful of simple every day things like eating and walking, you really begin to notice so much more of the world around you, and to feel more alive and engaged with yourself others and your environment.

I am in no doubt that using these meditations and other techniques has helped me considerably.

I am more relaxed, more calm, more thoughtful, more aware, and much less stressed and anxious.

I am not a hippy old school or new age I promise.

I wanted to find a practical way to gain some balance and peace in my life, and this book and CD has most definitely helped with that, and it is for that reason that I can whole heartedly recommend it to you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2011 5:31 AM BST

The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health For Life
by Arthur Agatston

4.0 out of 5 stars south beech a success where others have failed, 20 May 2011
I have tried several other diets over the years with very modest or no success at all. I read about the south beech diet and exercise system and it sounded like a well researched and sensible approach to not just dieting but to changing or modifying your life style sufficiently to see lasting change and health benefits.

In a nut shell it works.

The first two weeks are difficult, though by no means impossible. The results for me were a drop of 9 lbs, which though not huge or as much as the book claims possible is never the less a significant weight loss and visible, noticeable and commented on by many. This in its self is a huge moral boost and a spur to continue.

The second part of the plan is less difficult and reintroducing some food groups is a joy. The weight continues to fall but considerably more slowly at about 1-2 lb per week.

stage three is easy and includes pretty much everything you would like to eat anyway, but by now you have re-educated your self and are making wiser more healthy choices naturally, so avoid most of the truly bad stuff by choice.

I have only followed the walking part of the exercises described in the book, but have found the time and have really enjoyed my walks, which are now a part of my daily routine. I do feel lighter, fitter and more healthy, which is a nice way to feel about yourself.

All in all so far I have lost just over 15lbs with 10 more to go to my goal weight. I am pleased with my efforts and pleased with the help and guidance provide by this book, and feel confident I will reach my goal and maintain a much healthier diet and exercise plan from now on.

I would recommend this book, in fact I have recommend this book to friends, as I know it works and they can see the evidence themselves.

Its been well worth the effort for me personally as I hope it will be for you too.

The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs
The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs
by Stephen S. Ilardi

5.0 out of 5 stars for the first time in 20 years I have a book in my hand that genuinely helps, 9 Dec 2010
I would like to say first of all that the authors description of what depression actually is and what it is like to be a genuine sufferer is by far and a way the best I have ever read. I actually felt for the first time ever that somebody had put into words exactly what my life has been like for over twenty years. That alone is worth buying the book for, just to hear it so well explained. I have to congratulate him and thank him for that.
I will be giving it to close friends and family who have struggled over the years to understand, as I feel they will gain much insight from just a few pages.

I had through my own searching and desire for help and relief come across much of what the book contains, however i had not fully understood or appreciated the far reaching impact or relief possible by combining the several elements explained in the book over a period of time.

Everything is explained well and in plain english, giving clinical trail evidence and support for its inclusion. this is not padded Opera fluff. this is evidence based clinically trailed and proven techniques, supplements and devices, combined to provide what I believe to be the best opportunity for lasting relief from clinical depression.

I have read so many books on this subject, none has so sparked my interest or desire to apply the counsel given. This book actually makes you want to take action.

I have suffered with a life threatening debilitating soul destroying condition for most of my adult life. almost nobody has even noticed.

so many people out there I now know, feel the exact same way. I have tried my very best to over come this beast many times, this time I genuinely feel I may have been handed a tool thats up to the Job.

I hope this helps.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2012 7:28 PM BST