Profile for Bookish > Reviews

Content by Bookish

Bookish (Devon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (PC DVD)
Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 (PC DVD)
Offered by GlowspARCs

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive and easy, 8 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This loaded up easily and relatively quickly onto my Windows Vista PC. I've used Corel before and so I'm familiar with the interface, but it's truly easy enough for anyone to use, even complete beginners.

At its simplest, there is something called Express Lab which offers a menu (in pictures!) for editing your photo. I can't tell you how easy it is: If you want to cut a picture down to size, improve the colour or brightness, take away red eye, clone areas, brush areas out, fix blemishes - in other words, generally enhance a photo without having to learn all about 'curves' and other complicated photo-editing techniques, this is the program for you. For most of us, who just want to improve and tidy up pictures, this is perfect. I've used it for sorting out some old family photos: after scanning the photos in, I've managed to remove dirty marks and coffee stains (!), cut away torn edges (virtually), brighten the pictures up and get rid of all the bits of the photo that I no longer wanted. I'm really pleasaed with the results and it was pain free.

The Full Editor is much more comprehensive, and has every tool that you could need to edit, improve and enhance your photo. But I still find it easy to use, and there is a wonderful 'Learning Centre' toolbar that you can have on the left hand side of the screen, which explains each tool as you click on it.

I also like the fact that the working area is black, with white writing. This makes the photo stand out well, and the colours sharper, and makes it much easier on the eye generally. Full marks for that.

I also like the projects: making slide shows and sharing them on facebook is easy, and gave me really good results.

If you're a novice, then I think you'll find this easy and intuitive to use. If you're an old hand, then you'll find everything you need here.

Highly recommended.

Living the Law of Attraction: Real Stories of People Manifesting Health, Wealth, and Happiness
by Rich German

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely inspiring stories but a marketing ploy?...., 3 April 2010
I was really keen to read this book and it's true that the various stories of the law of attraction in action in people's lives are interesting.

They are also inspiring, except that almost every person whose story is featured in the book is now offering to coach the law of attraction (details of how to contact them at the end of their story), or they've written a book about it (details of how to buy it at the end of their story), or are offering some service connected with the law of attraction (details at the end of the story). Also, almost all of them were inspired onto their paths of enlightenment by watching the film The Secret, also available on DVD...

As a result, it can feel like one big marketing ploy.

I guess there are two ways to look at this book: it's a great celebration of many people who have turned their lives around using the law of attraction, and now it and they can help you. Or else it's a marketing exercise.
I guess it's up to you how you see it!

Just Cause 2 Limited Edition (PS3)
Just Cause 2 Limited Edition (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A total blast!, 29 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is just massive FUN!

Once you get past the first few missions (which take the form of tutorials) you can go anywhere on this vast island, using any number of cars, planes, helicopters, your parachute, boats - or you can walk, run, swim...

There is a main story line (which, it has to be said, is not the most intricate...) and side missions, and it's a complete sandbox so you can go anywhere and do the missions in any order you like.

The graphics are amazing - every bit as good as Uncharted 2 and perhaps even better. The cutscenes look a bit blocky but the game itself is mouthwatering, with realistic weather and gorgeous, rich scenery. Very atmospheric sounds and little details such as the flower heads being knocked off when Rico runs through them...

Using the grapple, you can whip up the sides of buildings and mountains, fly up into the trees, and get yourself up high enough so that you can free fall down to the ground again, actioning your parachute at the last minute to break your fall. When you get to the top of a mountain and look down, it gives you some idea of how huge this island is - and therefore how much exploring there is to do.

The protagonist, Rico, is a true super-hero Rambo type and practically indestructable (although he can be killed, and then you go back to the last auto save point). The idea of the game is just to create total chaos, blow things up and generally cause mayhem. As I say, the storyline is a bit weak, the characters a bit thin, and the voice acting is, well, a bit repetitive to say the least (consisting mostly of someone yelling 'Keel heem!' said in a strange German/Spanish/Russian accent...) But who cares? You'll be too busy blowing stuff up to much care what anyone's saying...

This is fun, not very tactical, just great fun. The vehicles vary in how easy they are to drive/fly, so don't be put off if the first vehicle you nick is a bit floaty.
You get rewarded for all the destruction you cause by getting Chaos points. These points allow you to unlock faster and more destructive vehicles, bigger weapons (from the Black Market) plus extra missions to cause even more chaos and rack up even more points.

There are minus points, such as Rico being limited in his movements (he basically walks, runs and jumps) and I'm sure some gamers will find this game a bit lite. But if you like a sandbox, like good graphics, like blowing things up, like driving cars and planes and boats and 'copters, then you'll love this game.

Clear Quartz Pendulum in Pouch
Clear Quartz Pendulum in Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, and good weight, 21 Mar 2010
This review is from: Clear Quartz Pendulum in Pouch
This is the perfect pendulum for dowsing: it's a good weighted crystal, the chain is lightweight but robust and the ideal length (6"), and it hangs perfectly. The crystal itself is beautifully cut so it catches the light: it would work well hung in a window to catch the sunlight. There's also a little crystal ball at the end of the chain for holding, so it's comfortable to use. I'm very happy with it!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year - Platinum (PS3)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year - Platinum (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the older gamer!, 21 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am what might be described as a more 'mature' gamer. I'm also female. Now, I don't want to be accused of being ageist or sexist BUT I wanted to write a review specifically for the older person who might pass over this game because they think that it's all about fighting, war, death, destruction etc.

Well, not the way I play it it isn't...

I think this is the best game I've ever played, bar none. I first got hooked on it on the PC and loved it so much I eventually bought a PS3 and a new TV so that I could play it on a big screen with a proper controller and everything...which also made it the most expensive game, bar none :-)

It's now an old game, and so the graphics are not as good as will be found in such games as Uncharted 2 and Fallout 3. But they're still very good, and there is a real sense of atmosphere and depth.

During the first few minutes of the game (or the first few hours, depending on your ability. Or the first few days, in my case...), you go through a kind of tutorial. This takes you out of prison and through a dungeon full of rats and nasties to be killed - finding out along the way how to use various weapons and spells. But - don't let this put you off. Because once you get out of the dungeon you enter the Province of Cyrodiil - a kind of medieval land where magic is common and the gun hasn't been invented, so you must use swords or fists if you want to fight - and thereafter you can wander around and do just as you please. It is a COMPLETE sandbox and you play in any order you please - you can even start a mission, drop it, and pick it up later... which is perfect for me (having the attention span of a mouse...)

You also design your character: goody or baddy, male or female, human or non-human - the choices are many. You also choose your skills and attributes, and you can spend as long as you like fine-tweaking your characters physical appearance.

By making your way to different towns, you can pick up various quests (missions) along the way. Some of these are simple, some of them are difficult, all of them are good fun - and most earn you money or goodies if you complete them. You might be asked to find out who stole a painting, or re-unite a couple of estranged brothers, or help clear a farm of horrible trolls... There is some thwacking and killing along the way, but mostly of scamps or trolls or wolves, so it's not too gruesome.

(You can play a wholly different game of course - you can be a murderous warrior if you like...)

This Game Of The Year edition includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, which are good sized extensions to the original game, and I think they're worth having. There are so many hours of gaming here I STILL haven't completed it - and I have been playing the game for YEARS!!!!

Overall, this is such immersive fun and can be anything you want it to be. You can become an expert in magic and cast spells, or you can become a thief and an expert at sneaking around. You can be Mr Good Guy or Girl and go around helping everyone so they all like you, and spend your money on new clothes and houses, furnishings and even your own horse. Yes - you can ride around on a horse if you like - cantering through the woods stopping to collect herbs and flowers along the way, before standing by the water's edge to have a glass of wine and a bite of bread... no finer way to spend your leisure hours.....

But the game is awesome everywhere - and I just wanted to write a review for people who might pass this game by, thinking that it was merely another violent war game. Well, it CAN be, but it doesn't have to be.

Try it and you'll be enthralled!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2010 5:17 PM GMT

Orabrush Tongue Cleaner Fresh Breath Brush With Scraper
Orabrush Tongue Cleaner Fresh Breath Brush With Scraper
Offered by Pharmacy Place

5.0 out of 5 stars Really does work!, 21 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Due to illness, for the last few weeks I've been on a restricted diet which has consisted of only sloppy, pureed and milky foods....(Yuck.)

Unfortunately, this has led to a coated tongue. I've tried using a toothbrush to clean it, but it just made my poor tongue sore. Mouthwashes didn't help either. When I saw this little gadget, I thought it might possibly be the answer - and so it has proved to be! It works brilliantly: it doesn't scratch or hurt but just gently removes any coating on the tongue, leaving it pink, smooth and comfortable.

I'm very impressed with it, and although previously I wouldn't have even considered using a tongue cleaner, I think I'll carry on using it even after I'm off my sloppy food regime as part of my normal morning routine. It's so gentle and effective it can only be good for me, and I definitely feel super-fresh-breathed after using it!

Recommended.

Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT807 Hunter Hand-held Turbo Vacuum Cleaner
Home-tek Light 'n' Easy HT807 Hunter Hand-held Turbo Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by SaversKingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect hand held, 16 Mar 2010
I've tried various rechargeable mini vacuum cleaners and never found them powerful enough. Plus of course I forget to keep them charged so they run for about ten seconds before the battery runs out...which makes me want to scream....

But this little gem is perfection. It is small and light enough to hold with one hand, but it PLUGS IN and has a VERY LONG LEAD! It has a brush beater and a powerful suction, plus a tube and brush attachment which is permanently attached so you just have to unhook it and away you go. It's not especially noisy, and it can hang up in a cupboard - and at this price, what's not to like????

Great for cars, the stairs, and little messes that you can't be bothered to get the big vacuum cleaner out for. It manages dog hair and crumbs on carpets, plus it copes with bigger bits. Ideal. Delighted with it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 16 Mar 2010
I got these from a seller on Amazon Marketplace as used ex-hotel towels. They are totally gorgeous: thick, fluffy, very white, very big and they feel like LUXURY. If mine are this good second hand, they must be even better new! They soak up the water like - well, like towels I suppose. They are snuggly and velvety and look very handsome in the bathroom. Highly recommended.

Modular drawer organisers pack of 6
Modular drawer organisers pack of 6
Offered by SelectiveGoods

5.0 out of 5 stars Make life easy!, 16 Mar 2010
I bought two of these as a joke, because a friend and I had often giggled about just what kind of person would use a 'drawer organiser' for their pants, for goodness' sake...!!

Well, it seems that I'm the kind of person who would use a drawer organiser for my pants...

I assembled it amid much chortling and general hilarity, and then thought I'd just see if it would actually fit in a drawer. Then I thought I'd just see if it would actually be any use as an organiser of knickers and socks...

And -

- it's brilliant! I don't even need to fold my knickers any more - I just stuff them unceremoniously into one of the compartments of my drawer organiser and voila! organised knicks! I can spot my fave pair easily and just pluck them from their compartment. No more scrabbling around, knickers flying, looking for the blue pair that don't show under these trousers or the nice fluffy comfy pair for wearing to the cinema... Just pull open the drawer and there they all are, neatly arranged.

You can easily cut down the organiser to fit your particular drawer size (that is 'drawer' as in 'chest-of-drawers' size, not 'drawer' as in 'pants' size... although each compartment will take quite large pants, I would imagine!)

Go on, get organised. It'll be worth it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2012 6:13 PM GMT

The Universe: Complete Season 2  (4 Disc) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Universe: Complete Season 2 (4 Disc) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Very lively!, 16 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a series of 4 DVDs covering just about everything in the Universe from the moon to gravity, from cosmic storms to dark matter. It's very captivating visually and also very fast moving - quite a change from some other documentaries which can be tediously dull and bewilderingly complicated. That said, if your knowledge of these subjects is already good, you might find it all too simple... I consider my knowledge of the cosmos quite good, but I still found these DVDs educative, thought provoking and quite entertaining to watch - and I am easily bored and don't like anything that feels too simple, so I'm not easy to please :-)

The DVDs are a mixture of interviews, film clips, graphics and illustrations. It's quite snappy and each part is short and digestible, so would probably be a great choice for schools. The voice over is American.

If I had any critisism, it would be that the short-sequence and snappy visuals were a bit TOO snappy for me at times, but I know that this way of presenting information is increasingly popular in documentaries and so it won't be a problem for most people.

If you want an easy-to-watch series of DVDs about the Universe, this is a good place to start.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20