Profile for Mr. Dk Hamm > Reviews

Content by Mr. Dk Hamm

Mr. Dk Hamm "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lumie Zest Combination Light Therapy - Portable SAD Lamp and Wake-up Light to Improve Energy and Mood

4.0 out of 5 stars although I'm pretty good at getting up, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I regularly have to get up for work at about 4:30am and, although I'm pretty good at getting up, in winter months when it is dark it can be a wrench to rise from my bed.

The wake up light function I found to be very effective as it gradually increases the light level from zero to full during the 15 or 30 minute period before the alarm goes off. I was a bit dubious whether it would help but I really did feel more refreshed and found it easier to get up due to the light, which is designed to be as close to natural light as possible. No more dark mornings!

As for the SAD function, I have tried this upon returning home from work and although I don't suffer badly from Seasonal Affective Disorder, I still found a benefit from the natural light that the unit produces. It helped perk me up after a hard day's work.

Settings are customisable so you can adjust the brightness and amount of time that the light shines for. It would ne nice to have a decent battery backup. As it is, it remembers the time for 30 minutes but this means that you need a backup alarm as it will be useless if you have a major power cut in the night.

This is the first such light I have used and have certainly found benefits from using it.

Remember, Remember
Remember, Remember
by Lisa Cutts

5.0 out of 5 stars The plot and characterisation are excellent throughout and I found that I had to keep ..., 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Remember, Remember (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book by Lisa Cutts that I have read. I found that I got into it quite quickly. Despite it being the follow up to an earlier book, it is not necessary to have read that one. The essentials of the back story are given in the early chapters. The plot and characterisation are excellent throughout and I found that I had to keep reading.

One thing I liked is that the chapters are short, which means that when you do need to put the book down, it is easy to do so at a convenient point.

I did dislike the fact that it is written in the first person. This is a personal thing with me and I have dropped a star in the past for such misdemeanours (IMHO) but the story is so good that I will let it go on this occasion. My main problem with it is that it spoils the suspense when the protagonist gets into a life threatening situation. Ok, deep down, you know they'll come through but normally you can suspend belief. When written in the first person though, this is not possible as you know that they cannot have written it if they die.

If you want a quick and easy read with a good storyline that won't tax your brain too much, then I can recommend this title.

Shakespeare: The Tempest [Shakespeare's Globe on Screen] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Shakespeare: The Tempest [Shakespeare's Globe on Screen] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good introduction to Shakespeare, 4 Sep 2014
This is a good introduction to Shakespeare. The plot isn't too convoluted and it is fairly easy to follow as long as you know the back story. The performance is very "user friendly" as well.

This particular production plays for laughs and the inflections and facial expressions of the actors enhance this. If you remember Roger Allam from "The Thick Of It", he plays Prospero in a similar vein with his dry humour. Jessie Buckley playing Miranda and Colin Morgan as Ariel play off of Prospero well and generate their own laughs.

The whole cast appear as if they are having fun and the audience also enjoy it despite the obvious rain (judging by the umbrellas present). Maybe this adds authenticity to the play though.

Kensington K97233UK KeyFolio Thin X2 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Hard Case and Auto Wake for iPad Air - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The iPad Air fits nicely into the case, 4 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you want quality, then quality is what you get with this keyboard/case.

The iPad Air fits nicely into the case, which folds around it when not in use. It is sturdy but lightweight and has a good quality feel to it. The case also acts as a stand when using the keyboard so it has the feel of a small laptop.

The keys are responsive and give a proper "click" when pressed so that it feels like a proper laptop keyboard rather than the springy rubbery cheap varieties.

It all folds up nicely into a strong carry case to protect the iPad. In addition, the keyboard folds around the back when not in use so that it can act like a normal tablet.

This isn't cheap (although by Apple standards it's not badly priced) but you definitely get what you pay for.

Oral-B Braun CrossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads - (Pack of 8 Refills)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Braun Oral-B toothbrush gives me the best cleaning I had ever had from an electric toothbrush ..., 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Braun Oral-B toothbrush gives me the best cleaning I had ever had from an electric toothbrush (even my dentist remarked upon my cleaning) and these toothbrush heads fit most toothbrushes of this brand.

I found these heads comfortable to use and gave a refreshing feel to my teeth and gums when the cleaning process was complete. You can certainly feel the bristles getting between the teeth.

I don't think the price is too bad considering the good quality and, with 8 heads in the pack, they should last two years if you change them every three months as per the normal recommendation.

A word of warning though. The brush heads are quite firm so if you prefer a softer brush, they might not be suitable. However, for medium to firm toothbrush users, they are ideal.

Absolutely Nasty® Kakuro Level Two
Absolutely Nasty® Kakuro Level Two
by Conceptis Puzzles
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great to get a puzzle book that challenges from the ..., 27 Aug 2014
My goodness. This is only level 2 and I am struggling. It's great to get a puzzle book that challenges from the start without having to go through loads of boring easy puzzles.

Not suitable for those new to this type of puzzle but if you are fairly adept, this is a good set of puzzles to get your teeth into. I love it.

Leitz Style A5 Soft Cover Ruled Notebook - Titan Blue
Leitz Style A5 Soft Cover Ruled Notebook - Titan Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars The paper may be good quality although the whole unit doesn't particularly feel special, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is basically just a notebook with a couple of ribbon bookmarks and a (very) few post it type silver coloured sticky markers in the back.

The folder in the back to hold documents (small documents due to the size of the notebook) tore as soon as I put something in and tried to get it out again.

The paper may be good quality although the whole unit doesn't particularly feel special. The price is way too high for this.

Ultranatura Premium Stainless Steel Grill Tool Set - 3-Piece Set in Aluminium Case

5.0 out of 5 stars These are good quality tools and have a solid feel to them ..., 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are good quality tools and have a solid feel to them despite being very light. With the aluminium case, they would be ideal for, say, a portable barbecue on a picnic or for taking to someone else's barbecue if they need tools.

The insulated handles are useful to avoid burning that pure metal tools cause if kept on the heat.

Ring RCT5 Compact First Aid Kit
Ring RCT5 Compact First Aid Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Read carefully what you are getting though as there is not much of any item included although the box is fairly sturdy and you c, 17 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is quite handy to keep in the car or for a holiday as it is small and compact and carries the essentials for everyday cuts and grazes. Read carefully what you are getting though as there is not much of any item included although the box is fairly sturdy and you can refill it with items of your choice.

I am a bit dubious about the short "use by" date on it (about a year) as there is no medicine included. I'm sure that plasters and bandages and maybe even antiseptic wipes, being sealed, should last longer than this. You could always put fresh things in it though if you are unsure.

Philips GC6611/30 SpeedCare Iron Steam Generator with 120 g Steam Boost and 1.2 Litre Water Tank, 1200 ml, 2400 Watt, 4.2 Bar, Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great. I am a big fan of steam generator ..., 17 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is great. I am a big fan of steam generator irons (well, in a sense that ironing needs to be done) and Philips in particular. What makes this stand out for me is that it is smaller and much lighter than those I have used before. Despite that, I have got a good hours ironing out of one fill of the water tank and the chore of ironing is made much easier than using conventional irons.

In use, it smooths and creases clothes quickly and effectively, particularly using the steam function.

If I have one small gripe it is that you need to take the whole unit to the sink to empty it. I believe that this is normal for most steam generators, which makes it awkward to empty. However at least it is lighter than most which makes it a bit easier. A previous one that I have used has a removable tank which, in my opinion, should be standard.

Overall I thoroughly recommend this for someone living on their own or a small family.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20