Profile for Junior Hornet > Reviews

Content by Junior Hornet

Junior Hornet "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml
Beaphar Spray Away Plus, 400ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective Cleaner for Small Areas, 21 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh My! I was wondering how best to test and review this spray, bearing in mind that I don't have any pets at present and wish to use it on household stains, when I spilt some coffee on the carpet.

This spray was as good as its word. A quick spray over the affected area and a wipe with a damp cloth and it cleared it up no problem. The spray left hardly any smell and it certainly wasn't unpleasant, unlike some cleaners I have tried.

There are cheaper cleaners in supermarkets but in my opinion, they are not as good as this.

Life, Love and the Archers: Recollections, Reviews and Other Prose
Life, Love and the Archers: Recollections, Reviews and Other Prose
by Wendy Cope

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining collection, 17 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a collection of shortish essays from a writer who usually publishes poetry (she rightly states that she is a writer, not a writer and poet because a poet IS a writer). Some of the articles, mainly those near the beginning of the book, are adapted from an unpublished autobiography that she attempted to write. Most of these are previously unpublished.

The others are mostly reprints of articles she has written for magazines and other publications. In additions there are transcripts of speeches. Many of these are based on episodes from her life although there are some television reviews from The Spectator.

The style is what I would call "gentle" humour without any smuttiness. The writing engages the reader and I found that I smiled a lot without really laughing out loud. It isn't that type of book. You don't have to read it all at once and you can dip into it without reading it in order and get as much enjoyment.

It's not the sort of book I would necessarily read again, hence only 4 stars but I certainly did enjoy reading it this time.

Honor 6 4G UK Smartphone (5 inch, Touchscreen, Octa-Core, 3GB RAM, 16GB ROM, 13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera, LTE CAT6, Android 4.4, Emotion UI 2.3) White

5.0 out of 5 stars I got used to the interface and found it quite easy to navigate, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, let me make clear that this and as far as I am aware the other previous reviews are not rigged, as claimed by an earlier review but are reviews from the Amazon Vine programme where advance copies has been issued.

I took a few days to get into this phone, being used to a Motorola but my initial thoughts were that the screen was large and very clear but the interface was slightly clunky.

With use though, I got used to the interface and found it quite easy to navigate. For anyone unused to Android, this would be a good phone as Huawei have not cluttered it up with their own software a la Samsung and HG.

The spec is very good for the price with an 8 core processor and it copes with all the apps and games I have installed. The 5 in screen maked it easy to read text.

The build is quite robust although, as with all phones, I will be investing in a case for it.

I was particularly impressed with the camera although I was quite surprised when taking a selfie (something I have never done before) that the image was back to front i.e. a mirror image. However I found out that this is the same on all phones and tablets which, to me, renders it a waste of resource.

The phone comes unlocked so that changing from your existing phone is a doddle.

Oh yes, and it can make and receive phone calls (something that strangely, phone manufacturers never seem to claim)

I think I will be using this phone from now on.

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes flat packed but just clips together with strong poppers. You do need to give them a good push but this is to ensure strength.

The box is made of sturdy cardboard and should be sufficient to hold a large number of A4 documents. It is slightly larger than A4 in size and just over 7 inches deep (or 19 cm for those younger than me).

There are no partitions inside and, as the box opens via the lid, there is no real method of organising documents. That said, for people like me who tend to stuff documents into a carrier bag and often lose them, it is a way of keeping them all in one place and with the box being bright pink, it's very difficult to mislay it.

As can be seen from the picture, there is a space to put a label in the front so, if you have a home office set up, you can use several boxes and store different types of document in each one although with the opening at the top, it's not really practical to stack them.

Zyliss Digital Multi Timer
Zyliss Digital Multi Timer

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a handy gadget, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I often use the timer on the microwave to time my cooking but this is not possible when I am using the microwave itself so this is a handy gadget to have around the kitchen. Having four independent timings on the go is useful although I do try to ensure that everything completes its cooking at the same time so in practise will probably only use one timer (starting with whatever needs the longest cooking time) and start cooking different things at the relevant points along the process.

It's quite versatile, with a fold out stand and a magnet so you can have it on a table or the fridge. The alarm was a tad quiet, which could cause a problem if you go into another room. However, the display is very clear so that you can easily see how much time there is left. It is small enough to store in a kitchen drawer.

Of course you can also use it for other timings as well as cooking.

A very useful gadget.

Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
by Charles Marsh

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Life Story, 22 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit that I had never heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer before reading this book but his story seemed interesting to me so I though I would give it a go.

This is the life story of a truly amazing man who packed so much into his short life. He held very strong theological beliefs and spent his life acting on them trying to make the world a better place, initially against his parents wishes. Unfortunately for him, these beliefs led him to oppose Nazi ideals and ultimately led to his execution shortly before the second world war ended.

This is a well researched and written book. The style of writing and the interesting subject matter makes it easy to read in large chunks. The extensive research, including Bonhoeffer's own letters and papers adds an air of authenticity.

This may not be for everyone, particularly if you don't have an interest in recent history because the book does cover quite a narrow subject, but if you are interested in reading about life and times in early twentieth century Germany through the eyes of one important though not very well known person, then I think you will find it as interesting and fascinating as I did.

Vax U88-AMM-Pe Air 3 Max Pet Upright Vacuum
Vax U88-AMM-Pe Air 3 Max Pet Upright Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already own a Henry that has an Eco setting that uses less power and am rather impressed with its cleaning power. I am delighted to say that this Vax is just as good.

The unit comes in a compact package which means that a small amount of assembling is required. This seems to be normal for upright vacuum cleaners these days and, in this case, assemble is a doddle, mainly clipping the handle into place and assembling the tools into their correct positions. To be honest, I would prefer to keep the tools apart and get them from wherever I choose to store them as I need them.

In use, the cleaning power was great. The amount of muck that it picked up was very impressive. I never knew my carpets were so dirty. It even gets into tight corners due to its swivel action.

This is in fact the second VAX upright cleaner I have owned and, despite loving my Henry, I think I will be using thsis one from now on.

Philips GC8651/10 PerfectCare Aqua Pressurised Steam Generator, 2.5 Litre, 2400 Watt, 6.2 Bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips make the best steam generator irons and this is the second best ..., 12 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In my experience, Philips make the best steam generator irons and this is the second best I have used (second only to my previous PerfectCare iron because that one has a removable water tank)

The whole unit is solidly built albeit quite large (as with all steam generators) but the iron itself is quite light. The water tank is large but you do have to take the whole unit to the sink to empty it, which is quite awkward.

In use, it does a good job of ironing. It glides nicely over the washing and you really don't need to adjust the temperature (in fact you can't). The steam function is easy to use with a button situated under the handle.

It claims to be quiet, which it generally is although it does hiss when you press the steam button, which is the nature of pressurised steam rather than a fault of the iron. Having said that, it is quieter than previous steam generator irons I have used.

Whilst I cannot say how this will perform in the long run, my previous Perfectcare has been in regular use for over three years now without any problems.

If you are in the market for a quality iron and you can justify the price, you won't go far wrong with this one.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Pinzon is effectively Amazon Basics which is no bad thing as I have had several Basics items before ..., 8 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pinzon is effectively Amazon Basics which is no bad thing as I have had several Basics items before which I have been pleased with.

This particular shower curtain has a good strong feel to it and is fairly standard in design so will fit most shower installations that use curtains.

The design is a plain frost-white colour, which I'm happy with. Some people may prefer a more patterned design. It is slightly opaque when wet but if you are friendly enough with someone to invite them into the bathroom when you take a shower, I presume that this will not be a problem!

I like the idea of the magnets to hold it vertical. I'm not sure why they need to be magnets but as metal weights they do a good job.

This is a good plain basic shower curtain, nothing fancy but does the job well.

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars much of the interface is similar and I found it easy to get back into it, 3 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember the original Paint Shop Pro back in the 90s that was a shareware product and was marketed as a cheap alternative to Photoshop. The most recent version I used before this was the original Paint Shop Pro 7 which came out several years ago and did more or less what I wanted. It was cheap and, while not being as comprehensive as Photoshop, was a darn sight easier to use.

So to Paint Shop Pro X7, the latest incarnation. Well, much of the interface is similar and I found it easy to get back into it. It is highly configurable so you can have whichever tools you like present on the screen. It is useful to have the tools you use most often present for ease of use but equally useful to be able to hide tools you don't often need so you can see more of your picture.

Installation is easy but you do need to install the three packages on the Ultimate edition disc separately and individually.

There is so much more in this version than in the pre X numbered versions. There are a huge number of effects you can use to easily transform your photos into something special. The Ultimate version has even more tools including the Perfectly Clear image correction tool which works wonders to automatically correct your picture. I can't stop using this feature. I wasn't so impressed with Magic Fill though which purports to delete part of a picture and automatically fill it with a similar background to what is around it. This works OK when the background is plain but not with, say, a bustling town screen where it makes a best guess and copies other parts of the image so that it doesn't really fit and you can clearly see the join. It really is a gimmick though in my opinion so we'll forgive that.

As a bonus, if you register the product, you can download even more image effects which integrate seamlessly.

I can't how this version compares to the latest Photoshop as I haven't used it. The pricing is similar to the cut down Photoshop Elements (which is also aimed at the home user) but I am happy to stick with what I know. This does all that I need in an image editing program and more and is a doddle to use, especially if you use the excellent training program provided.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20