Profile for Mr. Dk Hamm > Reviews

Content by Mr. Dk Hamm

Mr. Dk Hamm "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes flat packed but just clips together with strong poppers. You do need to give them a good push but this is to ensure strength.

The box is made of sturdy cardboard and should be sufficient to hold a large number of A4 documents. It is slightly larger than A4 in size and just over 7 inches deep (or 19 cm for those younger than me).

There are no partitions inside and, as the box opens via the lid, there is no real method of organising documents. That said, for people like me who tend to stuff documents into a carrier bag and often lose them, it is a way of keeping them all in one place and with the box being bright pink, it's very difficult to mislay it.

As can be seen from the picture, there is a space to put a label in the front so, if you have a home office set up, you can use several boxes and store different types of document in each one although with the opening at the top, it's not really practical to stack them.

Zyliss Digital Multi Timer
Zyliss Digital Multi Timer

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a handy gadget, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I often use the timer on the microwave to time my cooking but this is not possible when I am using the microwave itself so this is a handy gadget to have around the kitchen. Having four independent timings on the go is useful although I do try to ensure that everything completes its cooking at the same time so in practise will probably only use one timer (starting with whatever needs the longest cooking time) and start cooking different things at the relevant points along the process.

It's quite versatile, with a fold out stand and a magnet so you can have it on a table or the fridge. The alarm was a tad quiet, which could cause a problem if you go into another room. However, the display is very clear so that you can easily see how much time there is left. It is small enough to store in a kitchen drawer.

Of course you can also use it for other timings as well as cooking.

A very useful gadget.

Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Strange Glory: A life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
by Charles Marsh

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Life Story, 22 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit that I had never heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer before reading this book but his story seemed interesting to me so I though I would give it a go.

This is the life story of a truly amazing man who packed so much into his short life. He held very strong theological beliefs and spent his life acting on them trying to make the world a better place, initially against his parents wishes. Unfortunately for him, these beliefs led him to oppose Nazi ideals and ultimately led to his execution shortly before the second world war ended.

This is a well researched and written book. The style of writing and the interesting subject matter makes it easy to read in large chunks. The extensive research, including Bonhoeffer's own letters and papers adds an air of authenticity.

This may not be for everyone, particularly if you don't have an interest in recent history because the book does cover quite a narrow subject, but if you are interested in reading about life and times in early twentieth century Germany through the eyes of one important though not very well known person, then I think you will find it as interesting and fascinating as I did.

Vax Air3 Max Pet Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air3 Max Pet Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already own a Henry that has an Eco setting that uses less power and am rather impressed with its cleaning power. I am delighted to say that this Vax is just as good.

The unit comes in a compact package which means that a small amount of assembling is required. This seems to be normal for upright vacuum cleaners these days and, in this case, assemble is a doddle, mainly clipping the handle into place and assembling the tools into their correct positions. To be honest, I would prefer to keep the tools apart and get them from wherever I choose to store them as I need them.

In use, the cleaning power was great. The amount of muck that it picked up was very impressive. I never knew my carpets were so dirty. It even gets into tight corners due to its swivel action.

This is in fact the second VAX upright cleaner I have owned and, despite loving my Henry, I think I will be using thsis one from now on.

Philips GC8651/10 PerfectCare Aqua Pressurised Steam Generator, 2.5 Litre, 2400 Watt, 6.2 Bar

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips make the best steam generator irons and this is the second best ..., 12 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In my experience, Philips make the best steam generator irons and this is the second best I have used (second only to my previous PerfectCare iron because that one has a removable water tank)

The whole unit is solidly built albeit quite large (as with all steam generators) but the iron itself is quite light. The water tank is large but you do have to take the whole unit to the sink to empty it, which is quite awkward.

In use, it does a good job of ironing. It glides nicely over the washing and you really don't need to adjust the temperature (in fact you can't). The steam function is easy to use with a button situated under the handle.

It claims to be quiet, which it generally is although it does hiss when you press the steam button, which is the nature of pressurised steam rather than a fault of the iron. Having said that, it is quieter than previous steam generator irons I have used.

Whilst I cannot say how this will perform in the long run, my previous Perfectcare has been in regular use for over three years now without any problems.

If you are in the market for a quality iron and you can justify the price, you won't go far wrong with this one.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Pinzon is effectively Amazon Basics which is no bad thing as I have had several Basics items before ..., 8 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pinzon is effectively Amazon Basics which is no bad thing as I have had several Basics items before which I have been pleased with.

This particular shower curtain has a good strong feel to it and is fairly standard in design so will fit most shower installations that use curtains.

The design is a plain frost-white colour, which I'm happy with. Some people may prefer a more patterned design. It is slightly opaque when wet but if you are friendly enough with someone to invite them into the bathroom when you take a shower, I presume that this will not be a problem!

I like the idea of the magnets to hold it vertical. I'm not sure why they need to be magnets but as metal weights they do a good job.

This is a good plain basic shower curtain, nothing fancy but does the job well.

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars much of the interface is similar and I found it easy to get back into it, 3 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember the original Paint Shop Pro back in the 90s that was a shareware product and was marketed as a cheap alternative to Photoshop. The most recent version I used before this was the original Paint Shop Pro 7 which came out several years ago and did more or less what I wanted. It was cheap and, while not being as comprehensive as Photoshop, was a darn sight easier to use.

So to Paint Shop Pro X7, the latest incarnation. Well, much of the interface is similar and I found it easy to get back into it. It is highly configurable so you can have whichever tools you like present on the screen. It is useful to have the tools you use most often present for ease of use but equally useful to be able to hide tools you don't often need so you can see more of your picture.

Installation is easy but you do need to install the three packages on the Ultimate edition disc separately and individually.

There is so much more in this version than in the pre X numbered versions. There are a huge number of effects you can use to easily transform your photos into something special. The Ultimate version has even more tools including the Perfectly Clear image correction tool which works wonders to automatically correct your picture. I can't stop using this feature. I wasn't so impressed with Magic Fill though which purports to delete part of a picture and automatically fill it with a similar background to what is around it. This works OK when the background is plain but not with, say, a bustling town screen where it makes a best guess and copies other parts of the image so that it doesn't really fit and you can clearly see the join. It really is a gimmick though in my opinion so we'll forgive that.

As a bonus, if you register the product, you can download even more image effects which integrate seamlessly.

I can't how this version compares to the latest Photoshop as I haven't used it. The pricing is similar to the cut down Photoshop Elements (which is also aimed at the home user) but I am happy to stick with what I know. This does all that I need in an image editing program and more and is a doddle to use, especially if you use the excellent training program provided.

Riviera Line (PC DVD)
Riviera Line (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars I do not play the latest blockbuster games so my PC is quite modest (AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon on board graphics) but it runs, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Riviera Line (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite surprised that this was a stand alone product. It installs via Steam (which you can sign up for free) and once installed, you can play it without a Steam or indeed an internet connection on the computer on which it is installed. The advantage of this system is that you can then play it on any other computer as long as you log into your Steam account,

I do not play the latest blockbuster games so my PC is quite modest (AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon on board graphics) but it runs quite smoothly on the medium graphics setting in a window and the detail is fairly good. I tried it on maximum graphics setting and it ran OK albeit jerkily . I don't think it lost a lot in detail by reducing the graphics. It is after all a simulation rather than a game that needs fantastic scenery. You are going to be concentrating on the controls.

Having said that, there are many different views available. including two helicopter angles and a plane (a high top down view). This is one of my favourite stretches of railway line in the country and it a delight to drive a train along it even in simulation. Two trains are provided, a Pacer and a 125. More are available on Steam.

On the downside, there is no instruction manual included. There is a tutorial built into the game but this is of no use if you are using the main game as you can't access it. It would have been helpful to at least have a reference card to refer to containing the main controls (as was provided buy the original MS Train Simulator).

Also, this seems to be a PR exercise as you get bombarded with adverts for the full game and various add ons, particularly when waiting for the game to load.

This is a limited version of the full TS-2014. You could buy the full thing with more routes for a fiver or so more. If you are familiar with this line though, it is a joy to drive,

I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neve Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars I am afraid that I found this film quite boring. The main premise is that everything is going ..., 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: I Really Hate My Job [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am afraid that I found this film quite boring. The main premise is that everything is going wrong on a Soho restaurant and it builds up to the arrival of a big film star (Danny Huston playing himself). Unfortunately the story never really gets going. It has plenty of characterisation but no real story. Even the arrival of Danny Huston is low key although probably the best bit in the film (I won't give it away!).

The whole film seems cramped, being set totally inside the small restaurant with all scenes in the bar/restaurant and the kitchen. I would have given it one star but for the use of the superb Al Bowlly music and the fact that there are a few genuine laughs sprinkled sparingly throughout. Also, the cast seemed to gel well and gave a good performance of a poor script.

Lumie Zest Combination Light Therapy - Portable SAD Lamp and Wake-up Light to Improve Energy and Mood

4.0 out of 5 stars although I'm pretty good at getting up, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I regularly have to get up for work at about 4:30am and, although I'm pretty good at getting up, in winter months when it is dark it can be a wrench to rise from my bed.

The wake up light function I found to be very effective as it gradually increases the light level from zero to full during the 15 or 30 minute period before the alarm goes off. I was a bit dubious whether it would help but I really did feel more refreshed and found it easier to get up due to the light, which is designed to be as close to natural light as possible. No more dark mornings!

As for the SAD function, I have tried this upon returning home from work and although I don't suffer badly from Seasonal Affective Disorder, I still found a benefit from the natural light that the unit produces. It helped perk me up after a hard day's work.

Settings are customisable so you can adjust the brightness and amount of time that the light shines for. It would ne nice to have a decent battery backup. As it is, it remembers the time for 30 minutes but this means that you need a backup alarm as it will be useless if you have a major power cut in the night.

This is the first such light I have used and have certainly found benefits from using it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20