Profile for Mr. Dk Hamm > Reviews

Content by Mr. Dk Hamm

Mr. Dk Hamm "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vax Air3 Max Pet Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air3 Max Pet Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already own a Henry that has an Eco setting that uses less power and am rather impressed with its cleaning power. I am delighted to say that this Vax is just as good.

The unit comes in a compact package which means that a small amount of assembling is required. This seems to be normal for upright vacuum cleaners these days and, in this case, assemble is a doddle, mainly clipping the handle into place and assembling the tools into their correct positions. To be honest, I would prefer to keep the tools apart and get them from wherever I choose to store them as I need them.

In use, the cleaning power was great. The amount of muck that it picked up was very impressive. I never knew my carpets were so dirty. It even gets into tight corners due to its swivel action.

This is in fact the second VAX upright cleaner I have owned and, despite loving my Henry, I think I will be using thsis one from now on.

Philips GC8651/10 PerfectCare Aqua Pressurised Steam Generator, 2.5 Litre, 2400 Watt, 6.2 Bar
Offered by WebBasket

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips make the best steam generator irons and this is the second best ..., 12 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In my experience, Philips make the best steam generator irons and this is the second best I have used (second only to my previous PerfectCare iron because that one has a removable water tank)

The whole unit is solidly built albeit quite large (as with all steam generators) but the iron itself is quite light. The water tank is large but you do have to take the whole unit to the sink to empty it, which is quite awkward.

In use, it does a good job of ironing. It glides nicely over the washing and you really don't need to adjust the temperature (in fact you can't). The steam function is easy to use with a button situated under the handle.

It claims to be quiet, which it generally is although it does hiss when you press the steam button, which is the nature of pressurised steam rather than a fault of the iron. Having said that, it is quieter than previous steam generator irons I have used.

Whilst I cannot say how this will perform in the long run, my previous Perfectcare has been in regular use for over three years now without any problems.

If you are in the market for a quality iron and you can justify the price, you won't go far wrong with this one.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Pinzon is effectively Amazon Basics which is no bad thing as I have had several Basics items before ..., 8 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pinzon is effectively Amazon Basics which is no bad thing as I have had several Basics items before which I have been pleased with.

This particular shower curtain has a good strong feel to it and is fairly standard in design so will fit most shower installations that use curtains.

The design is a plain frost-white colour, which I'm happy with. Some people may prefer a more patterned design. It is slightly opaque when wet but if you are friendly enough with someone to invite them into the bathroom when you take a shower, I presume that this will not be a problem!

I like the idea of the magnets to hold it vertical. I'm not sure why they need to be magnets but as metal weights they do a good job.

This is a good plain basic shower curtain, nothing fancy but does the job well.

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars much of the interface is similar and I found it easy to get back into it, 3 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember the original Paint Shop Pro back in the 90s that was a shareware product and was marketed as a cheap alternative to Photoshop. The most recent version I used before this was the original Paint Shop Pro 7 which came out several years ago and did more or less what I wanted. It was cheap and, while not being as comprehensive as Photoshop, was a darn sight easier to use.

So to Paint Shop Pro X7, the latest incarnation. Well, much of the interface is similar and I found it easy to get back into it. It is highly configurable so you can have whichever tools you like present on the screen. It is useful to have the tools you use most often present for ease of use but equally useful to be able to hide tools you don't often need so you can see more of your picture.

Installation is easy but you do need to install the three packages on the Ultimate edition disc separately and individually.

There is so much more in this version than in the pre X numbered versions. There are a huge number of effects you can use to easily transform your photos into something special. The Ultimate version has even more tools including the Perfectly Clear image correction tool which works wonders to automatically correct your picture. I can't stop using this feature. I wasn't so impressed with Magic Fill though which purports to delete part of a picture and automatically fill it with a similar background to what is around it. This works OK when the background is plain but not with, say, a bustling town screen where it makes a best guess and copies other parts of the image so that it doesn't really fit and you can clearly see the join. It really is a gimmick though in my opinion so we'll forgive that.

As a bonus, if you register the product, you can download even more image effects which integrate seamlessly.

I can't how this version compares to the latest Photoshop as I haven't used it. The pricing is similar to the cut down Photoshop Elements (which is also aimed at the home user) but I am happy to stick with what I know. This does all that I need in an image editing program and more and is a doddle to use, especially if you use the excellent training program provided.

Riviera Line (PC DVD)
Riviera Line (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars I do not play the latest blockbuster games so my PC is quite modest (AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon on board graphics) but it runs, 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: Riviera Line (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite surprised that this was a stand alone product. It installs via Steam (which you can sign up for free) and once installed, you can play it without a Steam or indeed an internet connection on the computer on which it is installed. The advantage of this system is that you can then play it on any other computer as long as you log into your Steam account,

I do not play the latest blockbuster games so my PC is quite modest (AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon on board graphics) but it runs quite smoothly on the medium graphics setting in a window and the detail is fairly good. I tried it on maximum graphics setting and it ran OK albeit jerkily . I don't think it lost a lot in detail by reducing the graphics. It is after all a simulation rather than a game that needs fantastic scenery. You are going to be concentrating on the controls.

Having said that, there are many different views available. including two helicopter angles and a plane (a high top down view). This is one of my favourite stretches of railway line in the country and it a delight to drive a train along it even in simulation. Two trains are provided, a Pacer and a 125. More are available on Steam.

On the downside, there is no instruction manual included. There is a tutorial built into the game but this is of no use if you are using the main game as you can't access it. It would have been helpful to at least have a reference card to refer to containing the main controls (as was provided buy the original MS Train Simulator).

Also, this seems to be a PR exercise as you get bombarded with adverts for the full game and various add ons, particularly when waiting for the game to load.

This is a limited version of the full TS-2014. You could buy the full thing with more routes for a fiver or so more. If you are familiar with this line though, it is a joy to drive,

I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neve Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars I am afraid that I found this film quite boring. The main premise is that everything is going ..., 22 Sep 2014
This review is from: I Really Hate My Job [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am afraid that I found this film quite boring. The main premise is that everything is going wrong on a Soho restaurant and it builds up to the arrival of a big film star (Danny Huston playing himself). Unfortunately the story never really gets going. It has plenty of characterisation but no real story. Even the arrival of Danny Huston is low key although probably the best bit in the film (I won't give it away!).

The whole film seems cramped, being set totally inside the small restaurant with all scenes in the bar/restaurant and the kitchen. I would have given it one star but for the use of the superb Al Bowlly music and the fact that there are a few genuine laughs sprinkled sparingly throughout. Also, the cast seemed to gel well and gave a good performance of a poor script.

Lumie Zest Combination Light Therapy - Portable SAD Lamp and Wake-up Light to Improve Energy and Mood

4.0 out of 5 stars although I'm pretty good at getting up, 17 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I regularly have to get up for work at about 4:30am and, although I'm pretty good at getting up, in winter months when it is dark it can be a wrench to rise from my bed.

The wake up light function I found to be very effective as it gradually increases the light level from zero to full during the 15 or 30 minute period before the alarm goes off. I was a bit dubious whether it would help but I really did feel more refreshed and found it easier to get up due to the light, which is designed to be as close to natural light as possible. No more dark mornings!

As for the SAD function, I have tried this upon returning home from work and although I don't suffer badly from Seasonal Affective Disorder, I still found a benefit from the natural light that the unit produces. It helped perk me up after a hard day's work.

Settings are customisable so you can adjust the brightness and amount of time that the light shines for. It would ne nice to have a decent battery backup. As it is, it remembers the time for 30 minutes but this means that you need a backup alarm as it will be useless if you have a major power cut in the night.

This is the first such light I have used and have certainly found benefits from using it.

Remember, Remember
Remember, Remember
by Lisa Cutts

5.0 out of 5 stars The plot and characterisation are excellent throughout and I found that I had to keep ..., 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Remember, Remember (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book by Lisa Cutts that I have read. I found that I got into it quite quickly. Despite it being the follow up to an earlier book, it is not necessary to have read that one. The essentials of the back story are given in the early chapters. The plot and characterisation are excellent throughout and I found that I had to keep reading.

One thing I liked is that the chapters are short, which means that when you do need to put the book down, it is easy to do so at a convenient point.

I did dislike the fact that it is written in the first person. This is a personal thing with me and I have dropped a star in the past for such misdemeanours (IMHO) but the story is so good that I will let it go on this occasion. My main problem with it is that it spoils the suspense when the protagonist gets into a life threatening situation. Ok, deep down, you know they'll come through but normally you can suspend belief. When written in the first person though, this is not possible as you know that they cannot have written it if they die.

If you want a quick and easy read with a good storyline that won't tax your brain too much, then I can recommend this title.

Shakespeare: The Tempest [Shakespeare's Globe on Screen] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Shakespeare: The Tempest [Shakespeare's Globe on Screen] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good introduction to Shakespeare, 4 Sep 2014
This is a good introduction to Shakespeare. The plot isn't too convoluted and it is fairly easy to follow as long as you know the back story. The performance is very "user friendly" as well.

This particular production plays for laughs and the inflections and facial expressions of the actors enhance this. If you remember Roger Allam from "The Thick Of It", he plays Prospero in a similar vein with his dry humour. Jessie Buckley playing Miranda and Colin Morgan as Ariel play off of Prospero well and generate their own laughs.

The whole cast appear as if they are having fun and the audience also enjoy it despite the obvious rain (judging by the umbrellas present). Maybe this adds authenticity to the play though.

Kensington KeyFolio Thin X2 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard with Hard Case and Auto Wake for iPad Air - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The iPad Air fits nicely into the case, 4 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you want quality, then quality is what you get with this keyboard/case.

The iPad Air fits nicely into the case, which folds around it when not in use. It is sturdy but lightweight and has a good quality feel to it. The case also acts as a stand when using the keyboard so it has the feel of a small laptop.

The keys are responsive and give a proper "click" when pressed so that it feels like a proper laptop keyboard rather than the springy rubbery cheap varieties.

It all folds up nicely into a strong carry case to protect the iPad. In addition, the keyboard folds around the back when not in use so that it can act like a normal tablet.

This isn't cheap (although by Apple standards it's not badly priced) but you definitely get what you pay for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20