Profile for Junior Hornet > Reviews

Content by Junior Hornet

Junior Hornet "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
William Shakespeare: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
William Shakespeare: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Stanley Wells

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Short Indeed, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is indeed a short book, around 120 pages and small in size. The content is as concerned with Shakespeare's life and times as it is with his plays which, although they are covered, they are parts of themed chapters rather than listing each in turn. This means that to get an overview of a particular play is not easy.

As an overview of the man and his works, this book is a good start which may help you towards other, more in depth information. For this purpose, it works well. If you are looking for information for each play and/or sonnet, you may be better off looking elsewhere.

Ingenious Jewellery Sterling Silver Rose Gold Plated Necklace of Length 22.6-24.1cm and Earrings Set with Open Pave Hearts

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as expensive as it looks, 15 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a set of necklace and earrings in silver plated in rose gold. It is a very attractive set with the rose coloured gold giving it a pleasing and unusual look. There are clear gems all around the hearts and these show off the rose gold beneath.

It comes in a plain cardboard presentation box with a clear front so it is easy to display when not being worn. You may prefer to transfer it to a stronger box though as these can be obtained without too much expensive.

The only issue I have is with the chain on the pendant which is very thin. Many people may prefer this to a thicker chain but it feels as if it could break fairly easily if it catches on anything.

With the gold plating on sterling silver, this is a quality, expensive looking set at an afforble price.

Philips GC3810/20 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 150 g Steam Boost, 300 ml, 2400 Watt, Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and Effective, 7 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently reviewed another (cheaper) Philips iron, the GC1020/70 after a few years of using their Steam Generators and was impressed with it. This version, whilst more expensive, is more powerful and I found even more comfortable to use. Steam generators are very good but they are heavy and take up a lot of space. This iron is light and does an equally good job.

As with the GC1020/70, I found the water tank quite small (but I am spoilt, being used to the steam generator) but should be OK for an average family ironing session. It is ideal for anyone living in a flat or small house.

I thought the cable was long enough. I do stand the ironing board fairly near the power socket though.

I personally think Philips irons are among the best you can buy and even though this is more expensive than the GC1020/70, I think that the extra power you get from this model is worth the extra cost.

Ultranatura Stainless Steel Grill Basket/Vegetable Bowl with Handles
Ultranatura Stainless Steel Grill Basket/Vegetable Bowl with Handles
Offered by Ultra24Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a solidly built and fairly heavy item for grilling vegetables on a barbecue. The holes are large enough for draining but small enough so that the vegetables don't slip through. As it is designed to sit on top of a barbecue grill, the handles are, of necessity, also stainless steel so be careful to use oven gloves to lift it off.

It can also be used to drain vegetables cooked in the conventional way or to rinse salad.

The only niggle I have is that there is an extremely sticky label on the bottom which, try as I might, I could not get fully off. I suspect that it will eventually wear off naturally. This is just a small annoyance however and does not stop me from recommending it as a handy kitchen tool.

Acco Kensington Keyboard - Black
Acco Kensington Keyboard - Black
Offered by Comcen Computer Supplies Ltd *VAT registered*

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement keyboard., 19 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good quality, good value keyboard that uses a USB wired connection. It is a good solid build despite being light and the keys are nicely responsive.

It works well even on a Windows XP laptop.

Not everyone will want a wired keyboard as wireless is the norm these days but it is handy as a good quality backup.

Rexel A4 Clear Mesh Bag with Blue Zip (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Clear Mesh Bag with Blue Zip (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and Efficient, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first glance, these look expensive compared with the plastic wallets you find in stationers and supermarkets but these are far better quality. The mesh material makes the wallet very strong and much less likely to crease or tear. A4 documents fit nicely inside with room to spare. Although they are quite thin, I managed to fit several A4 pages inside each one (at least twenty).

I have an A4 storage box in which my important documents are kept loose. I am pleased to find that these bags fit nicely inside and so will enable me to better organise my documents.

All in all, a useful tool to help you stay organised.

Pinzon Mid-Season Duck Feather & Down Duvet, Double (9 TOG)
Pinzon Mid-Season Duck Feather & Down Duvet, Double (9 TOG)

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pinzon is an Amazon "Own Brand" and, as with other Amazon branded products I have used, I am seriously impressed by the quality.

The quilt is 90% duck down for warmth with the addition of 10% duck feathers, which gives it body. The cover is 100% cotton. It is extremely light on the bed and the thinness of the quilt (down doesn't need to be as thick as synthetic materials to give it the same warmth) makes it easy to store when not in use.

The TOG value of 9 means it is really for spring or autumn rather than a winter quilt. It kept me nice and warm on a fairly chilly night last night but as I am reviewing this in May, I will (hopefully) have to wait a while to test it on a really cold winter's night. If you are used to 9 TOG quilts, then I can recommend this for a touch of luxury but if you are used to 12 or 13 TOG in winter, it might not be suitable for you.

I, however, love it.

HP K8H30AA#ABB Spectrum Case for Notebook Up To 39.6 cm (15.6 Inch)
HP K8H30AA#ABB Spectrum Case for Notebook Up To 39.6 cm (15.6 Inch)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but maybe limited protection, 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First the good points. It is light and padded and my laptop fits nicely. It is nice pastel shade, if you like bright colours.

On the negative side, it is quite thin, despite the padding. I wouldn't feel confident in dropping it to test its strength. There is no information included to suggest how protective it is and the Amazon description appears to be in Spanish or something similar. Also, there is no space to put any accessories, not even the power supply and cable. Stuffing them in makes it look unsightly.

By all means go for it if you want to transport your laptop without its power supply and are only interested in dust protection.

The Gracekeepers
The Gracekeepers
by Kirsty Logan

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming Story, 14 May 2015
This review is from: The Gracekeepers (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an easy reading and entertaining story about 2 girls/young women who live completely different lives and what happens when their lives cross. It is set in a future Earth but does not come under the Science Fiction category.

It soon transpires that the two main "girls" in the story are not as innocent as portrayed in the early pages but I found that I still emathised with them.

It is an easy story to read. The chapters are mostly quite short. Each one is titled for the main character featured in the chapter and each one only deals with one strand of the story. This unusual approach seems strange at first but I soon got used to it.

As an aside the book is well presented with an interesting and sparkly front and back cover featuring drawings of the main two characters set in their environments.

The book is not quite in the "can't put it down" category but i enjoyed it none the less.

Apexel 180 Degree Fish Eye Lens + Wide Angle Lens + Micro Lens Kit for iPhone 4 4S 4G 5 5G 5S 5C 6 Plus Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 S3 I9300 S4 I9500 S5 S6 Note I9220 Note2 N7100 Note3 Note 4 mini i8190 S7562 HTC LG Black (No Dark Circle by the Fisheye Lens)
Offered by Tech Leader

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly but fun and effective, 3 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first impression upon opening the package is a good quality build of lens in a sturdy carry case, which is small enough to slip into a pocket or small bag.

I tried the lens on two different phones, one with a case and one without and found that it works just as well with a case on the phone. I found the results quite pleasing, particularly the fish eye lens which does not over round the picture like some lenses.

There are no instructions supplied which I found to be a problem when working out how to use the macro lens but the Amazon product page was a help here.

I found it quite fiddly to attach the lenses both to the clip and then to the camera. However, once in place, they held steady. One of my phones (a Motorola Moto G) has the camera a little way down the body. Whilst this didn't affect the use of the lens, it did mean that the clip went into the screen, which could cause scratching over time. The other phone's camera is nearer the top and so did not have this problem.

I think that this is could be seen as a bit of a gimmick to those people who regularly use dedicated cameras but with the limited lens on most phones, a bit of variety is welcomed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20