Profile for J. J. Thomas > Reviews

Content by J. J. Thomas

J. J. Thomas "Jojo" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Overhaul
The Overhaul
by Kathleen Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
I heard Kathleen Jamie reading some of the poems from this collection on the radio, and felt very moved. The book did not disappoint. Beautiful, mournful, yearning and celebratory poems about the natural world. I'm looking forward to reading them many times.

Cute Owl Cotton Tote Bag
Cute Owl Cotton Tote Bag
Offered by The Gift Oasis LTD.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to love?, 25 Dec 2012
Owls are everywhere right now, but I think most of the ones on bags look quite ugly. This one, however, is totally charming. Very happy with the bag.

7dayshop R7 Premium Faux Leather Book Case / Cover for The NEW 2011 Kindle 4 (no keyboard), Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display / Kobo Touch - Zebra - Includes Anti Glare Screen Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you want a zebra patterned kindle cover?, 25 Dec 2012
If the answer is yes, buy this one. It's fab. I got it for my mum (got her a kindle too, of course) and she was thrilled. It's funky, practical and well made. The material is kind of plasticy, not like a faux leather, but it doesn't feel cheap. Very happy with this.

Dolly: A Ghost Story
Dolly: A Ghost Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Started brilliantly, ending was a washout., 25 Dec 2012
No spoilers, but for me the first half of this book was deliciously creepy. Then, when it came to the crux of the action, I felt like Hill wasn't sure what she wanted to do. I was really disappointed with how randomly it was all wrapped up, and some of the devices used to bring about the conclusion made very little sense, I thought. The first half is a match for Woman in Black, but the book as a whole didn't do it for me.

The Legend Of 1900 [DVD] [1999]
The Legend Of 1900 [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Tim Roth
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it, but..., 25 Dec 2012
This is an intriguing concept but I just could not get into this film. My mum absolutely loved it though.

A Vampire Walks Into A Bar (Cassandra Bick Chronicles Book 2)
A Vampire Walks Into A Bar (Cassandra Bick Chronicles Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampires. Angels. Dark humour., 25 Dec 2012
A Vampire Walks Into A Bar. I'm pretty sure the title tells you all you need to know about this awesome story. It stands alone, though I'm glad I'd already read the first instalment of the Cassandra Bick Chronicles (Dark Dates) as it gave the story even more depth and context. Huge fun, and a bargain too.

Everything's Cool
Everything's Cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense, edgy drama about a deeply troubled man who is trying to save the world., 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: Everything's Cool (Kindle Edition)
I've always been a big fan of unreliable narrators, and stories that make you question truth and reality. This book has those qualities in spades. You see the world through the lense of Stan, a paranoid obsessive compulsive who firmly believes that there's a plot afoot to end the world. I don't want to include any spoilers, but what I really like is how you're dragged round to Stan's point of view. The author really gets you to feel his tension, and in the end you're rooting for him, even when he does awful things. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes a good story and an unusual main character. I love how my kindle lets me download these great random reads for next to nothing!!

Dark Dates (Cassandra Bick Chronicles Book 1)
Dark Dates (Cassandra Bick Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, a great and easy read, 17 Jun 2012
Cassandra Bick is a likable, believable protagonist. I found this book extremely easy to read, with just the right balance of action and cake. I totally bought into the combination of Modern London and the fantasy/magical world conjured by the author, and laughed out loud at her musings over love, sex, vampires and ex-wives. This is a great read, and an absolute bargain. I'm looking forward to the next installment!!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly hopeless for warmth, 31 Jan 2012
I bought these gloves in a bike shop and I HATE them. I swear my hands are colder in these gloves than out of them. I have bad circulation and was looking for a really warm option. This is not it. Freezing.

Fangtales
Fangtales
by Ross Baxter

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read for those dark nights, 16 Nov 2011
This review is from: Fangtales (Paperback)
Having read previous Wyvern story compilations (including Dragontales) I thought I would give this one a go. Some of the writing is full of painful cliches and hackneyed metaphors, but because the stories are generally fairly short this doesn't grate too badly. In many of the stories the author has turned the vampire myth on its head, or introduced lots of modern elements, which was really fun. I particularly liked the Vamp take on the X factor, and the story in which vampires had become normal suburbanites and it was vengeful humans that stalked the night. Lots of inventive ideas. Probably my favourite story was the one that used the Mexican myth of the 'Chupacabra,' (Me and My Shadow by Justin Carroll.) I liked this because it was one of the few stories that looked at vampires from a completely different angle, AND because the language and story arc felt a lot more sophisticated than in most of the others. Generally an entertaining read and definitely the perfect gift for any teenagers into their vampires!

Page: 1 | 2