Profile for Mastodon > Reviews

The Dukan Diet Life Plan: The Bestselling Dukan Weight-loss Programme Made Easy
by Dr Pierre Dukan
Price: 18.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Works so well I'm in no rush to come off..., 23 May 2012
This review is more to do with the diet rather than this specific book - I've bought the paperback, the recipe book and 'The Dukan Diet Life Plan'. All are good, the former has more information, the latter makes for a more pleasing package.

I've been wanting to shift 3 - 4 stone for about 10 years, and was forever losing about a stone, getting complacent or bored after a few weeks and the stone would go back on, until the next attempt. Like many here I tried various methods - Atkins, Slimming World, The Cambridge Diet etc. I'd never really heard about Dukan until I came across it on Amazon, and thought I may as well try another one...

I ordered the paperback and read it over before taking the plunge. I was slightly concerned as it seemed rather draconian in part, and I knew that if I was to be succesful I'd be on it for a very long time. I'd not got on well with Atkins, another high protein/low carb diet and hoped this would be better. It was. Within a day or two of starting this I knew it could be different this time; I soon lost all urges to eat any of the processed and sugary food I used to. I soon lost any obsession I had with food. On previous diets I'd find it hard to resist biscuits, chocolates etc - I'd think 'I'll have one and count it' whereas now I'm not tempted at all. I started the diet early Feb 2012. It's now mid May and I've lost 48 pounds. I lost 8 or 9 pounds on the attack phase and it just dropped of consistently at a rate of 2-4 pounds each week since. I'm about 6 pounds off the target weight I set myself but now know I'll go on at least another stone beyond that, as long as the weight is dropping off I know this is my chance not just to get to a weight I'd previously been comfortable with, but to actually get slim.

I rarely feel hungry, do not feel deprived, I'll carry on eating much of the food way past the diet; I'd say it really has changed my eating habits. My wife is doing it too - she's lost 2 stone in 2 months. neither of us are in any way tempted to cheat or even come off until we are happy with our weights. Since the day I started I haven't had one biscuit, not one chocolate - not cheated once - because it's easy to stay committed. The only thing I have had that the book says no to is wine - I have a few glasses now and again and it hasn't slowed my weight loss, or if it has it's still at a rate that keeps me very motivated.

It's great getting up in the morning and not feeling and looking the way I did. All my 'fat clothes' are gone, new wardrobe now, clothes shopping is a pleasure again, no going back...