Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "blokenearbathb" (England)

Everything is Illuminated
Everything is Illuminated
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars a surprisingly entertaining film, 18 April 2014
about a wierd looking American (played by Elijah Wood), who has a fetish for collecting things, who comes to the Ukraine, and is guided around by an oddball family.

Chineasy: The New Way to Read Chinese
Chineasy: The New Way to Read Chinese
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't download a readable version, 26 Mar 2014
Having followed the development of Chineasy on the facebook and twitter account, I was dissapointed when I downloaded the kindle version for two reasons.

1. I have a Samsung Galaxy note, and found that I could not read the text. This is partly a fault with the Kindle android app - historically for some reason the designers have designed a zooming function. Only very recently on the latest update has this been included. However the Chineasy book itself does not give access to the zooming control.

2. I found that I could not download the book to my laptop, something that would have allowed me to read the text. I didn't see the small print - which is hidden away in a drop-down menu on the item description, which did not list PC or laptops as devices that the kindle edition was available to.

You may say that this was my fault for not checking the detail, but ... why not solve these problems and make it available all devices?

I have marked this as 3 stars because I don't hate it (one star), or dislike it (two), as I like the Chineasy pictorial concept. It's just a shame that I will need to use a magnifying glass to read the book on my phablet.

Please Shaolin sort out the problems and make the kindle version readable.

Fringe - Season 3
Fringe - Season 3
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fringe - Season 3 (DVD)
Anna Torv is entirely believable playing the 2 versions of herself in alternate universes. The cliffhanger at the end of the disk opens up an entirely weird prospect

Universe
Universe
by Martin (ed) Rees
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant birthday present, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Universe (Hardcover)
I ordered this as a birthday present for my step daughters boyfriend, who has recently got into astronomy. He loved the book, saying that it was really expensive. Little did he know that I saved quite a bit off the retail price through ordering it from amazon. Book arrived promptly. Great.

Original black S Pen Stylus Touch for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7100 7105
Original black S Pen Stylus Touch for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7100 7105
Offered by MYAMSTORE
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent replacement, 2 Oct 2013
I foolishley let the toddlers play with my smartphone - i.e. use a drawing app on it. Quickly they had managed to break the end of the stylus and it no longer worked properly. This pen replaces it very satisfactorily and comes in snazzy black

My Chinese Coach (Nintendo DS)
My Chinese Coach (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop using it, 25 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my girl friend expecting that she would let me use it too. However she finds it so addictive she cannot put it down. She reaches for it first thing in the morning, and plays it last thing at night! So I decided to buy a nintendo ds and another copy of this game!

It is the best Chinese learning package that I have come across so far, because it integrates the pinyin, chinese character, and pronounciation so effectively and immediately. The fact that you are writing the characters too, is something that you wouldnt find in any other system.

The game is good because it wont let you through to the next lesson until it has judged you have mastered the words from that level. I like the way that your rating gives your equivalent age, starting from baby, then moving onto toddler, pre-schooler etc.

A brilliant product and at a very cheap price!

Adrian Mole and The Weapons of Mass Destruction
Adrian Mole and The Weapons of Mass Destruction
by Sue Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional event, 19 Nov 2005
This was yet another book in the mole saga which I couldnt put down, despite my finding it pretty emotionally hard going.
I have grown up reading the adrian mole books, as he is roughly the same age of me (well a little older). This has always lead me to compare my life with his own.
Thus it can be pretty torturous. In this book it desribes his life leading up to and the first year of the second gulf war, and all of the happenings of the time.
Much of this I had forgotten, although of course not the weapons of mass destruction promise, and serves to remind myself why I was so against the politicians and the war supporting public. Sue Townsend seems to accurately remind myself of the events that occurred, and the measly actions of the politicians, principally Tony Blair, and the machinations that proved that there would be a war whatever Iraq did. Through his son Glen, who joins the army and is posted to Iraq the tragic loss of life on both sides is brought home. This is one of the more serious aspects in the book, but I said it was emotionally hard going!
Adrian falls for a dolls house maker, and when he changes his mind, she becomes a Glenn Close style obsessive - much like the last book I suppose when his house got burnt down!
However he meets the love of his life (other than Pandora), and it is heartwarming and such a relief that she fancies him as much! Hmmm well the love life is not much like my own really, my problem is i am not as free as Adrian - not having 2 parents who can look after each other.
He also spends like crazy on credit cards and gets himself into huge debt problems - painful! Thank goodness I dont have such problems, although like him, I have just taken out a mortgage!
Yes a good book, but not much one i will reread that often (if ever) due to the emotional toil it places on me