Profile for AnotherReader > Reviews

Content by AnotherReader

AnotherReader (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Official Danger Mouse Face Men's T-Shirt (M)
Official Danger Mouse Face Men's T-Shirt (M)
Offered by Vanilla Underground

5.0 out of 5 stars What more could you want., 12 May 2016
I've worn a lot of T-Shirts in my time... and in terms of T-Shirtness this is just as good as all of the rest of them, plus it has a picture of Danger Mouse on it. What more could you want?

More seriously, the t-shirt seems pretty good, the seems reasonable, the logo is nicely printed, and it's comfortable to wear. All good.

Orfeo
Orfeo

5.0 out of 5 stars I was enraptured., 9 May 2016
This review is from: Orfeo (Kindle Edition)
I freely acknowledge that I occasionally buy books based on their covers; the musical references of this one grabbed my attention; so it was that I came to read Richard Powers' Orfeo, and I shall never regret it.

As a musician by trade, I sometimes find fictional accounts of music, musicians, and, perhaps especially, composers frustrating, partly because they tend to home in too much on the 'passionate' elements of the art and its repertoire, neglecting technique and musical experience for notions of genius and so on. Although this book is by no means lacking in floral tracts about music, the diverse repertoire and compositional styles covered, the enthusiasm of it, I found captivating.

The plot is slow-burning, wry, and interweaves with the first-person narrator's biographical story. The style is wordy, but in an ecstatic rather than a leaden way. As a whole I found the book to be intimate, thought-provoking, engaging, and, to borrow a term I've encountered in music, a paean to new musical and life experience.

I was rapt by it.

AUKEY Car Phone Holder Air Vent Magnetic Car Holder Universal Car Mount Cradle for Apple iPhone 6S / 6, iPhone 5S / 5C / 5, iPhone SE, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Note5 4, Nexus, Smartphones and Mini Tablets(Black)
Offered by AukeyDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good design., 9 May 2016
I bought this as a convenient and reasonably discreet means of mounting my phone on my dashboard while it charges rather than having it sliding around on a seat or rattling in a cup holder. I've used various mounts, from wind-screen suction mounts to air-vent clips with a clasp rather than a magnet. So far, this is the most convincing.

Set up was very simple - inserting the magnetic strip provided into the inside of the phone's case was pretty well the sum of it. I'd be a little... unwilling to attach the magnet directly to my phone - apparently you can, but I'd rather nothing too permanent seeming. The magnetic holder simply clips onto an air-vent. Although universality is claimed, it might be worth thinking about whether or not your air-vents are suitable and whether or not you're willing to lose one funnel of air. Fit-wise, it seems to work well in my car, and the magnetic 'grip' on the phone through the case seems to be quite acceptable; I occasionally miss the airstream, but with a magnet device, that's easily remedied. The quality seems fairly good: the vent-grip is solid, the magnet weighty, and the block pleasantly rubberised.

The packaging is nicely designed and well-considered, meaning it would make a nice stocking-filler or some such. I'd recommend it.

Tenby & Pembroke (Cassini Old Series Historical Map)
Tenby & Pembroke (Cassini Old Series Historical Map)
by Cassini Publishing Ltd
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 9 May 2016
I ordered this map while exploring the history of a holiday destination - I find old maps fascinating. The production is very good, the map is well printed on a pleasingly heavy grade of paper. The map itself is what it is - it is not modern mapping, but that's its charm and its purpose. Excellent.

AUKEY Car Charger 4.8A / 24W Dual USB Adapter for Apple and Android Devices (The Smallest but Most Powerful Car Charger in the World) - Black
Offered by AukeyDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 23 April 2016
I bought this as a more discreet alternative to an Amazon Basics adaptor with which I had been fairly pleased (it's reviewed elsewhere). The Amazon adaptor itself replaced a number of others that had all been disappointing.

The adaptor is small and light, perhaps a little too light feeling in terms of build-quality (hence the loss of a half star), and seems to fit the socket well, protruding only enough to be removed. It works well, but the USB ports require a surprising degree of firmness in inserting the USB plug - more than I'm accustomed to or entirely comfortable with using (hence the loss of another half). Otherwise the item is very pleasing, and the packaging is surprisingly well-considered for a budget item. At the price, I am possibly being unfair in docking a star, as I am genuinely pleased with it.

[Apple MFi Certified] Zendure® 3.3 ft 39 inch (100 cm 1 meter) Nylon Braided USB Charge/Sync Cable with Lightning Connector for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and More (Space Grey)
Offered by Zendure EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourably impressed., 21 April 2016
I've tried a number of cable varieties for my iPhone, most of which (including Apple's own brand) have been utterly unfit for purpose - I think it took me a few days to destroy the original.. and I'm really not that heavy-handed, or at least, I don't believe I am. I may, of course, be wrong, but, to date, I have never crushed a tumbler, put my finger through a laptop, or accidentally cut through the table with a steak-knife.

Until recently, I had settled fairly firmly on the Amazon Basics brand of lightning adaptor cable, which is available in a range of useful sizes. Though I've been generally happy with the Amazon Basics cables, the plastic housing of the lightning adaptor itself seems to be slightly prone to breaking with use (not that this stops the cable working), and they are distinctly bulky as these cables go.

So, I thought I'd give this product from Zendure a try. Thus far, I'm very favourably impressed. Visually, the cable is more pleasing to the eye than most USB cables, and the casings at each end seem to be outstandingly robust when compared with other brands. The cabling itself is neither too stiff nor flimsy, and the braiding feels tough and secure, so it might wear better than expected. Time will tell. I might even update this someday.

Beurer IL11 Compact Infrared Lamp
Beurer IL11 Compact Infrared Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased., 19 April 2016
I don't have other lamps to compare with this one, but I will say that it certainly works! I have been surprised by the heat it generates, and it seems to help with certain muscular and other aches and pains.

The design is not a classic that will be in demand for decades to come, nor is the build particularly weighty (something to consider if using it on a table or shelf or some such - an anchor might be needed), but it serves its function well enough, and, at the price, it seems fairly solid.

Very pleased, in all.

iPhone 4S Case,ULAK iPhone 4 Case 2in1 Hybrid Matte Silicone Hard Protective Case Cover for Apple iPhone 4 4s with Screen Protector(Black)
Offered by Pandamimi--The Great ULAK Case Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Something of a bargain..., 19 April 2016
For the low price of this case (under £5 when I purchased it), I was pleasantly surprised by it; no, it's not an OtterBox Defender, but nor is it so bulky and expensive. The case is in two parts: a rubbery sheath around the back and sides of the phone is gripped in place by the addition of a plastic housing. So far it has withstood one or two bumps, and bumps they are with the weight of the iPhone 4s. Other reviewers have commented that the case distorts over time, so I may update this review if that becomes an issue.

As an aside, two screen covers and a stylus were included with the case, making this a remarkable bargain.

Le Chant De Virgile (Van Nevel, Huelgas Ensemble)
Le Chant De Virgile (Van Nevel, Huelgas Ensemble)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanté, 13 April 2016
Purchased nearly fifteen years ago, this was my first encounter with the Huelgas Ensemble under Paul van Nevel, and I found it quite captivating at the time, leading to many subsequent purchases. Though the interpretative aspects of the Ensemble's performances are, to some extent, comparable with the tradition of historically informed performance that has arisen since the seventies, the ensemble's sound is, to my ear, fairly unique (repertoire dependent), and I enjoy the occasionally pungent tone that they produce, and their firmly rooted sound, so rich in overtones.

As to this particular disc, without going into great detail about the pieces and performances, I found it most enjoyable, presenting a range of composers in what I think are fine performances. Highly recommended.

Invisible Glass 92184 Premium Glass and Windscreen Cleaner with Rain Repellent
Invisible Glass 92184 Premium Glass and Windscreen Cleaner with Rain Repellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but good so far., 9 April 2016
I've long been interested to try a rain repellant, but have always looked on them with some suspicion owing to mixed feedback (they work better at speed and can cause wiper smear) and price. On the basis that this was a combined glass-cleaner and repellant, and also available as a lightning deal, I thought I'd give it a try. As an exterior glass cleaner, it works very well: glass is left glossy and transparent (more so than previously, that is) with relatively little effort. As a rain repellant, I'm not as dismissive as some of the other reviewers: at speed, water droplets slide away and I was comfortable leaving my wipers off in fairly adverse conditions; at slower speeds and with less rain, I found that I needed wipers, which, as expected, caused a certain amount of smearing. Now, when I say smearing, I mean that there is a haze left immediately behind the wiper that clears quite quickly; is it dangerous or problematic? that's a harder question. If you're expecting it, it's fine; if you weren't it might surprise you. Do I think it's worth it? At the moment, yes! but I may update this review if I decide not in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9