Profile for W. H. J. Yip > Reviews

Content by W. H. J. Yip

W. H. J. Yip ""squodge photography"" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Kodak P880 Digital Camera [8MP, 5x optical]
Kodak P880 Digital Camera [8MP, 5x optical]

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera deserves 5 stars purely on a "you get what you pay for" basis, 24 Aug 2006
I've only ever owned one camera in my life and that was a Pentax Efina APS, bought in 2000 for about £150. I decided it was time to join the digital camera revolution.

Having read reviews and specs on the Fujifilm S9500, Canon EOS 350D, and the Kodak EasyShare P880... I chose the Kodak for a number of (important) reasons:

1. Wide angle lens - this is a godsend. I can fit an entire group of people in a shot without having to be a million miles away.

2. Hot shoe flash connector - this was a minor, but nevertheless important, factor for me as I wanted to try new photographic techniques with an external flash.

3. Full manual mode - with Kodak's usually brilliant colour definition and tone, full manual mode would allow me to exploit a camera's potential to the fullest. Here, the P880 does not disappoint. I've shot some impressive photos in poor lighting using both the hot shoe flash and being able to control every aspect of manual mode I can think of.

4. More buttons, less use of menu system - that, to me, is a huge difference between the Kodak and the other cameras. Whereas a camera looks "less busy" if the controls are tucked away inside a menu system, the user loses out ultimately in useability. With the P880, you can control the camera in manual mode without once having to press the menu button. Pressing, say, the ISO button allows you to change ISO settings with your right thumb.

5. RAW mode and 8 megapixels were NOT my reasons for buying the P880, but they are certainly good reasons for some. You WILL need a large memory card if you want to shoot in RAW mode. 8MP sounds great, but it's very unwieldy unless you really do need all those megapixels. I personally prefer to stick to 5MP because file size is halved and the quality isn't that much worse.

6. The P880 is a beauty to hold and in its handling. Its controls become intuitive quite quickly. I have big hands and I don't suffer from the apparent cluttered design of the camera. [...] say the P880 is an acquired taste in terms of how it looks, but everyone comments on how professional it looks, so it must be okay!

Okay, the niggles:

1. There's no image stabilisation (IS). However, what I will say is that it's not necessary for a camera that doesn't have a massive zoom. Also IS doesn't make your pictures better. If you need stability, buy a tripod - they cost a mere £10-20 for a half-decent one.

2. Data-writing times can be long with 8MP shots or RAW shots. This isn't really a problem if you're shooting inanimate objects or landscapes.

3. Auto-focus can take a while to focus in on subject (2-3 seconds), but it's not a problem if you're shooting in bright light.

On balance, it's hard not to award the P880 5 stars because of the flexibility of features and the wide angle lens. Also, it's very competitively priced that you'd be a fool not to at least consider it against more expensive models.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2013 3:40 AM BST

The Speed Reading Book (Mind Set)
The Speed Reading Book (Mind Set)
by Tony Buzan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware the low ratings from reviewers, 5 May 2006
When I started the course, I was reading (and comprehending about 80%) at 240wpm. After just a week, I was reading at 700-800 wpm with about 60% comprehension. But many months later, and sticking to the techniques, I've managed to reach 1100wpm and getting closer to 90% retention.

The point is, you will invariably lose comprehension when you first learn speed reading, and you will feel like you're "skimming". But your eyes pick up a lot of peripheral data and this is absorbed in your brain, whether you realise it or not.

Speed reading is like a diet... you have to keep at it, and you have to stick to the requirements through thick and thin.

Highly recommended!

VocabuLearn Korean/English: Level 1: Instant Vocabulary Fast, Fun and Effective
VocabuLearn Korean/English: Level 1: Instant Vocabulary Fast, Fun and Effective
by Penton Overseas Inc
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the packet..., 27 Feb 2004
Are you one of these people who hates learning vocabulary from long lists? Do you find that you can translate from the target language to English better than from English? Well, the tapes are for you!
I bought this two-tape set because I needed help with vocabulary-building. I've always been good at grammar, but poor at remembering vocabulary; so these tapes are a godsend. Also, I have a night-job that doesn't require too much thinking, so I get to learn vocabulary AND do my job at the same time. I can also listen to the tapes on the move, so it's much better than carrying around a book.
The tapes are accompanied by a booklet that lists all the vocabulary, and it's written in Hangul too, which is great. The other great thing about Vocabulearn Korean is that Koreans can use it to learn English too as the course is not targetted at English learners.
All-in-all, I would say that the price of these tapes, being about the same as a vocabulary book, is well justified.

Crime Traveller - Part One [DVD] [2003] [NTSC]
Crime Traveller - Part One [DVD] [2003] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Michael French

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost worth the asking price...!, 31 Mar 2003
Those of you who weren't lucky to catch this on television when it first came out can now own it on DVD. But at around £16, is this really worth it. "Yes" and "no".
"Yes", because it's a quirky and fun show. The actors are cast well, and the acting isabove average, although nothing fantastic. This show is nothing new, and the stories could've been written by my grandmother... and she's dead!
"No", because £4 per episode is overpriced. It's ridiculous that producers charge this much for television episodes because avid fans would incur huge costs to get their hands on their favourite show. However, since Crime Traveller only ever made it to 8 episodes, £30+ isn't too much to ask. Hence 4/5 rating.
I'm getting my copy, and I'm looking forward to the next 4 episodes, which are due out in June.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8