Profile for Villa Girl > Reviews

Content by Villa Girl

Villa Girl (Birmingham UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Little Big Planet 3 Signature Series Strategy Guide (Bradygames Signature Series Guide)
by Bradygames

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but confusing lay out, 4 Jan. 2015
I like to buy a strategy guide for LBP because some sections are tricky, and I also like to find as many prize bubbles as possible. These Brady Guides are also really good for guiding you when you want to have a go at creating your own level - which is a big part of LBP.

First off the book is beautiful. It's massively thick and packed full of screen shots.

The reason why I have only given it three stars is because it is extremely difficult to correlate where you are in the game to the appropriate section in the book. It's just not logical at all. The book is divided into the three sections - as in the game. That's pretty much where the common sense dries up. I do appreciate that the game is to a certain extent, 'free roaming', but some challenges have an entire page dedicated to them whereas other challenges get a couple of tiny screen shots. Headings in the book don't correlate to the names of parts of the game. For a long time in the early part of the book it refers to the 'Boost Boots', so I went right back in the game thinking I had missed them, only to find that you get them in one of the last missions, and the book was actually referring to replaying the level with the boots on. This was just one of a number of irritations.

To summarise - visually stunning and everything you need is in here; but you'll spend longer than you should trying to find what you are looking for, and that can be really frustrating if you are an adult with limited time who is looking for a bit of escapism.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrating, 26 Sept. 2014
I thought this book would be a real page turner but it was in fact frustrating and so slow in the middle I almost gave up on it several times. The ending picked up pace and improved things but thinking about the whole book it's simply not deserving of the hype.

A Good and Useful Hurt
A Good and Useful Hurt

5.0 out of 5 stars really unusual with a great plot twist, 10 Sept. 2014
I bought this as an amazon daily deal months and months ago. I started reading it having no idea what it was about and I'm so glad I took a chance. It follows a chap called Mike who runs a tattoo shop and begins to get some unusual requests from the family of loved ones who have passed. They ask him to mix some of their ashes in the ink and to then tattoo them...

I don't like spoilers in reviews so I shall just say - if you fancy something different with real life characters and a sense of moral purpose then give this a go. I really enjoyed it.

Breaking Bad Retro Lego Tshirt TV Walter White Jessie Pinkman Funny Cool Mens Regular Fit Small - XXLarge Multiple Colours
Offered by Shop4yoo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality t-shirt but sizes are on the large size, 25 Aug. 2014
This product arrived before the expected delivery date. Sadly despite using the sizing guide it is too big for my husband to wear. However, because the t-shirt is such good quality and we love the design I will be sending it back in exchange for the next size down. I contacted the seller and got a reply within 24 hours. Unfortunately it will cost postage to return, but the price of the t-shirt is low enough to make it worth doing.

I would definitely recommend the project - just err on the smaller side when choosing sizes.

White Lies: The 11th Spider Shepherd Thriller (Dan Shepherd series)
White Lies: The 11th Spider Shepherd Thriller (Dan Shepherd series)

5.0 out of 5 stars if you enjoyed previous Spider books then expect more of the same, 24 Aug. 2014
This book is not what some may consider a literary masterpiece. What it is is a fast paced, exciting page turner. You know what you are going to get - sure it's formulaic, but when Dan gets sent on a mission there are routines and procedures.

My only complaint is that it seemed a little short...but maybe that's because I read it so fast.

If you've read previous Spider books then you won't be disappointed with this one.

Before the After (Erin Solomon Pentalogy Book 4)
Before the After (Erin Solomon Pentalogy Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars The plot thickens..., 28 Dec. 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this fourth book in the Payson Pentology. Erin Solomon and Daniel Diggins are fast becoming like familiar old friends. We discover more about Erin's mum Kat and her dad Adam as well as finding out more of the secrets of Payson Isle and the cult that died in the looked burning church. Looking forward to the fifth and last instalment!

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars What if..., 10 Nov. 2013
Great story of three people whose lives are interlinked in an unimaginable, but totally believable way, and the consequences that result.

Les Misérables: The Motion Picture Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition)
Les Misérables: The Motion Picture Soundtrack (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 22 May 2013
I really didn't know Les Mis at all until I heard Susan Boyle sing 'I dreamed a dream.' I bought the highlights CD a few years ago but didn't really listen to it much and then when this Les Mis movie came out I watched it on BluRay and was totally captivated. The deluxe edition cost me £4.99 was an MP3 download which is ridiculous value. I know some people have said that the quality of the singing is not a good as the West End versions' CD but having listened to my old highlights CD again I would say that the film version is raw emotion which is conveyed so well by the actors. The West End version may be technically better but to me it sounds sterile and over rehearsed.

I haven't been able to stop listening to this movie version since I bought it 2 days ago and the sounds are going round my head all the time! High Jackman is amazing but so is Russell Crowe and then on of course there is Eddie Redmayne, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Siegfried and the lad who plays Gavroche - Daniel someone. Brilliant!!

Glee: The Music, Season 4 Volume 1
Glee: The Music, Season 4 Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 12 April 2013
Prefer the Glee version to the originals!! The only song on here that I really don't enjoy I Gangham Style and I guess that's down to my age!! I always look forward to these albums and they never disappoint

Southern Cross (Erin Solomon Pentalogy Book 3)
Southern Cross (Erin Solomon Pentalogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Diggs and Solomon - fab!!, 12 April 2013
This is the third book from Jen Blood and they get better and better. This follows on from Sins of the Father (2) and prior to that All the Blue-Eyed Angels (1) although you can read it as a standalone. However, I personally would advise against that as you lose some of the back story. Jen Blood has created two characters in Diggs and Solomon who have you rooting for them throughout the book. Throw in Jack Juarez as Solomon's current boyfriend and FBI agent and you have a fascinating triumvirate. The actual storyline follows a similar theme to the previous two of religious cult; brainwashing, taking advantage and causing mass destruction and in this case potential loss of life.

I dislike reviews that basically outline and re-tell the story so I will end simply by saying that if you want a fast paced exciting story with very likeable main characters and a plot line that I could see being turned into a Hollywood Movie then what are you waiting for??

BUY THIS BOOK!!!