Profile for Michael Andrew Wall > Reviews

Content by Michael Andrew...

Michael Andrew Wall (West Mids, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Coraline: 10th Anniversary Edition
Coraline: 10th Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Coraline review by Shannon, 27 Nov. 2014
I liked the pictures and the actual story. It was a bit better than the movie. I really loved the story.

The Prisoner of Zenda
The Prisoner of Zenda

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful story, 24 Sept. 2014
I read the Prisoner of Zenda years ago on my father's recommendation and found it to be a delightful story. Since you can download this to your Kindle for free, there is no reason not to enjoy it also.

The Innocent (Will Robie Book 1)
The Innocent (Will Robie Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous Nonsense Book, 5 April 2014
The plot of this book is a farce. I got 58% of the way through and could take no more of its nonsense story. I would not recommend this book.

Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 3)
Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant dark fantasy, 9 Mar. 2014
Epic conclusion to a remarkable trilogy. Jorg Ancrath is one of modern literatures most memorable anti-heroes. Highly recommended series of books.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

1.0 out of 5 stars The little train that could not, 31 Dec. 2013
Unlike Iron Girder, this book is going nowhere fast. I fought my way through the first 200 pages and there is still no indication of any sort of storyline emerging. I have never failed to complete a Discworld novel, but this one will go unread.

The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastards Book 3)
The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastards Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars The Play's the Thing, 24 Nov. 2013
Suffers from the same problem as Red Seas... in that it does not hold a candle to the original book. The revelation of Locke 's past and the return of an old enemy during the epilogue seem shoe-horned in as an excuse to extend the series. Each book loses more of what made the first so awesome. The flashback is more interesting than the actual continuation of the present day plotline, but there were whole chapters dedicated to the characters performing a play. This is a book that seems to go nowhere but is still recommended for the interaction between Locke, Jean and Sabetha.

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1)
Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Grim, violent fantasy, 19 Oct. 2013
Gritty dark fantasy. Some indication the world is our own, far in the future after some great catastrophe, maybe that will become clearer in the next two books. Good anti-hero, looking forward to finding out if Jorg's ambitions are realised.

The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)
The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining alternative to Abercrombie, 17 Oct. 2013
Comparisons to the Third Law trilogy justified. Entertaining enough if you've read all of Abercrombie's work and still hunger for more of the same. I have no immediate plans to read the other two books in the trilogy, the story does not end on a cliffhanger, everything is tied up neatly, maybe too neatly.

The Ace of Skulls (The Ketty Jay Book 4)
The Ace of Skulls (The Ketty Jay Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars All good things come to an end..., 29 Sept. 2013
A fine conclusion to the series. Epic adventure. Chris Wooding has yet to release a disappointing book. There were some typos, but nothing to fuss over.

Theft Of Swords: The Riyria Revelations
Theft Of Swords: The Riyria Revelations
by Michael J Sullivan

1.0 out of 5 stars I threw it in the bin rather than risk accidentally reading it again in future, 10 Dec. 2012
I purchased this book on the strength of several of the customer reviews on Amazon. I am sure some people genuinely enjoyed the book - though I cannot imagine how. Perhaps I've been spoilt by the collected works of Abercrombie, Martin and Rothfuss, but I found this book to be tedious and singularly unrewarding. The story itself is a farce. It takes a number of unexpected twists, mostly because - as a reader - you cannot possibly have imagined the characters making such arbitrary decisions or performing acts of such utter, out-of-the-blue stupidity.

Two thieves are hired to steal a sword, framed for killing a king, released by the princess on the grounds that they kidnap her brother (who would be the new king) and take him to an ancient prison for an audience with the powerful wizard being detained there. Along the way they meet a boring monk whose only purpose seems to be to conveniently know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING THAT EVER WAS[!]. They release the wizard from aeons of captivity and escape the bowels of this formidable prison in about 6 pages. The wizard rewards them for releasing him with the name of the King's real killer (not all that great a feat, the culprit's guilt is so painfully signposted anyone reading the book could have told them about 4 chapters ago) and the prince/thieves rush back to deal with the regicidal maniac. This is admittedly only the first half of the book, there is a second (seemingly unrelated) story, which I did not read as what I had already seen was enough to sour me on this author forever.

Many times I threw the book down, lamenting the loss of my money and swearing I would never pick it up again. Yet out of some sick fascination, I would return to it again and again, just to challenge my own belief that it could not possibly get any worse! Yet it always did. Ultimately, I threw it in the bin and watched the refuse men take it away, before I could rest easy.

In conclusion then, I did not enjoy this book. I thought it was the worst book I've (partially) read in some time. Maybe you will enjoy it more than I did, but there are much better works of fantasy out there, you should read those first and return to this once you have exhausted every other possibility. I imagine you would find even a menu from the local takeaway restruant more engaging and better plotted than this rubbish.

Page: 1 | 2