Profile for Mary > Reviews

Content by Mary

Mary

Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story (Ant & Dec)
Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story (Ant & Dec)
by Ant McPartlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Ant and Dec at their best!, 9 July 2014
This book was exactly what I thought it would be.
It was funny, cheeky and entertaining.
I love the fact that it was written four handed, almost like a conversation between them. That from start to finish there’s not one point of the book that felt boring to me.
It was interesting to follow their steps from kids to wannabe pop stars, to TV presenters, but to me the most appealing part was to see them create a unique and rare friendship.
This is Ant and Dec, pure and simple. Every tale is filled with jokes and playful banter. Every anecdote is permeated with teasing and little winks to their readers.
I really couldn’t have chosen for a better read.
A must for all Ant and Dec’s fans. And why not? If you like funny books, even for those who aren’t.

Camp David
Camp David
by David Walliams

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure honesty.. and a little bit of fun., 9 July 2014
This review is from: Camp David (Hardcover)
Pure honesty.. and a little bit of fun.

There’s a line in the book.

It’s at the very beginning, when you’re still not sure what the mood of the book is, in which David writes about a joke. It’s something fun and light, that inspires a chuckle.
After the joke David writes “Don’t worry, there are jokes in this book, the next one in on page 176”.

That’s as truthful as a warning can be.

This is not a comedy book and I didn’t start his autobiography under the impression that it would have been a fun read.

I’ve watched enough of his interviews lately to know what I was getting into and yet, even after watching the videos and reading the reviews, I wasn’t prepared for what expected me.

There’s such a raw honesty in his tale, that I think many will find upsetting. Often when you love a comedian so much, it is underwhelming to know that his life was not the funny magical ride you imagined it to be and yet I loved it.
Not the sad parts, obviously,( some of it shocked me and others made me think) but the way he exposed himself like never before, showing a part of him that no one would have imagined existed.
I loved the tales of his young life, and the insert of his own journals. I loved how honest he was about his failures as a comedian and as a man struggling with depression. About his love life and his relationships. It’s the absolutely normal life of an incredible man.

David’s book is easy to read, and captivating. It made me laugh and moved me to tears from one page to the next and made me appreciate even more every single laugh he provokes in people.

It makes sense to me that the book should stop with the start of his fame. That’s another story, that should be told another time.

And of course, I’ll always love a reason to read another one of his books.

Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
by Mark D. White

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect conditions, late delivery, 25 Dec. 2011
the book was as good as described, brand new and with very little shelf wearing. the only problem has been the delivery. it was estimated on december,9 but arrived 2 weeks late.. though it was christmas time so a little delay was to be expected.. all in all a very nice purchase..