Profile for Sue > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Delfinware Large Dish Drainer, White
Delfinware Large Dish Drainer, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Generous sized drainer that drains dishes well, 27 Mar. 2016
We bought this to replace a plastic one that sagged too close to the draining board to allow the air to get round the dishes for them to dry properly.
We are delighted with it.
The cutlery drainer can be moved off the main drainer if more room is needed, but the drainer itself is a generous size so we tend to leave it in the corner (as in the photo) which still leaves plenty of room for plates, cups, dishes etc.
It is nice and strongly made and sits high enough off the draining board to allow water to drip off the pots and drain underneath and also have a good airflow round so that the pots dry quickly.
Although we've only had the drainer for a few weeks, I get the impression that it will last for years.

Cake Tin Liner - Non stick reusable circle and wall liner. 7 inch, 8 inch, 9 inch (8 inch)
Offered by Planit Products Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reusable cake tin liner, 27 Mar. 2016
Bought the 8" liner and have now used it several times. I'm absolutely delighted with it.
The circle is an exact fit for the bottom of the tin, and the wall liner is very generous, wrapping round with a generous overlap.
The fabric is very easy to wash (a short soak and gentle wipe does the job) and dry (just lay on a clean tea towel and pat) ready for the next use.
It saves the cost of buying greaseproof paper to line the base and wall of the tin, and the time taken to cut it to size and shape.
My cakes have all turned out well by using this liner, and I am so pleased that I've just ordered some more in other sizes.
Don't know how long it will last, but mine's now been used half a dozen times and is still like new.

H & L Russel Ltd  Wash Bag, Separates & Protects Bras and Delicates During Wash Cycle, Small & Large, Set of 2
H & L Russel Ltd Wash Bag, Separates & Protects Bras and Delicates During Wash Cycle, Small & Large, Set of 2
Offered by A ONE SUPPLIERS

5.0 out of 5 stars Still good after a year — so pleased that I bought an extra set, 26 Feb. 2016
Love these!
Small one is useful for a bra (to stop the hooks damaging other things in the wash), and the big one has plenty of room to contain a jumper or similar item that would otherwise perhaps suffer from "bobbling" in the wash. Also useful for holding pairs of tights to make sure that they don't wrap themselves round the rest of the laundry and emerge as a big clump of knitted spaghetti!

The mesh is quite course (means they don't take up much room and dry quickly), unlike some I had a few years ago with zips which were quite fine material (didn't last, zips broke, and weren't very big). The large mesh also means that the water/detergent can easily get into the clothes and then get rinsed out easily (I would not advise cramming laundry in them — it does need to have some spare room to move around to wash properly).

No damage or bobbling since I've been using these, and no problems with splits or coming undone during the wash cycle (and 1600 r.p.m. spin).
I've been using them for over a year now, and have been so pleased with them that I bought a second set after a few months so that I can wash more than one larger item at the same time without the "bobbling" on the material. All 4 bags are still going strong!

Welcome to Welsh: A Complete Welsh Course for Beginners
Welcome to Welsh: A Complete Welsh Course for Beginners
by Heini Gruffudd

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not for a complete beginner., 26 Feb. 2016
I bought this when I first started to learn Welsh, and I really couldn't get it to help me get off the ground. It soon got put on the bookshelf and gathered dust for quite some time. I found that without just "rote learning" quite a few dozen words, it just had nothing to retain my attention and spark learning.
I've now gone back to it after learning the basics of the language elsewhere, and am finding it much better as a means of practicing and adding to my Welsh knowledge and vocabulary.
It contains a list of new words needed for each section (there are 15), a bit of grammar tuition, and sample phrases to practice both. The cartoon then gives a "real life" (??) story that uses these words and grammar points in context.
I agree with other reviewers that the cartoon stories are rather dated, but they are still good for practice.
For those learners who want to learn Northern or Southern Welsh only, this is Southern Welsh only.
If I were advising a complete beginner, I would say not to start with this book.
If I were advising a reasonably competent learner, I would say not to bother buying it as there are better ones to extend your knowledge.
If you're somewhere inbetween, you may find it both fun and useful to read, as I am at present. That said, if I knew what I know now when I first bought it, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

iNeibo Kitchen Cheese Grater & Lemon Zester - Sharp 18/8 Stainless Steel Blade - Colorful Ergonomic Handle - Easy To Grate Or Zest Lemon, Orange, Citrus, Cheese, Chocolate, Nuts (yellow)
Offered by Keisound-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Produces great results, but must be used with care, 23 Feb. 2016
Very sharp.
Wonderful tool for both parmesan and lemon zest (both of which are what I bought it for) as well as grating other foodstuffs.
The pattern of the "mini-cutters" (don't know what the technical term is) means that the food seems to veer from the middle to the edge as the food is grated, and I have accidentally grated my thumb twice (nothing serious, and no food was contaminated!), so I can definitely confirm that great care is needed for its use. I've knocked off one star for this (to me, it would be helpful if the pattern helped to keep the food "steered" into the centre), but it is a well-made Cooks tool that produces excellent results.
It is exceptionally sharp, but comes with a snap-on plastic cover for storage. I strongly advise not losing this, as the cutters are both dangerous and vulnerable to damage if it were left exposed in a drawer.
Definitely not something that children or clumsy adults should be let loose with, even if supervised.
Health warnings aside, it is a well-made kitchen tool that is produces excellent results. I use it regularly (and with great respect!), and am very pleased with the culinary results.

1Easylife Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Set of 6, Measure Dry and Liquid Ingredients

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, high quality measuring spoons that should last a lifetime, 23 Feb. 2016
Excellent measuring spoons.
I'm one of those people who just had to check that eight of the 1/8 teaspoon measures really did equal one teaspoonful, no more, no less (as the measures actually looked like they held more) when they arrived. They were all exactly spot on with their measurements, just as they should be! (And, yes, I did check them all, against both one another and an independent measure.)
The spoons themselves are easy to store, brilliantly easy to use, and very easy to clean, too.
Not cheap, but a very worthwhile investment for anybody that is remotely serious about cooking or baking — using consistent measures gives consistent results. These are quality tools that should last a lifetime, and I so far haven't been able to fault them.

Suma Mixed Peel 200 g (Pack of 6)
Suma Mixed Peel 200 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Supermarket brands are not in the same taste league as this, 23 Feb. 2016
I've never been a fan of mixed peel, but have taken to baking cakes that have it as one of its ingredients lately.
I was horrified to discover that all the major supermarkets only sell Mixed Peel that contains glucose-fructose syrup which I am trying to avoid (increasing evidence that fructose is harmful to health), and so after hunting online, found that Suma's version is one that does not. Despite costing almost twice as much as the supermarket own brands, I decided to take the plunge, and it arrived yesterday.
Taking the lid off the tub, the smell was the first indication that this was going to be so much better than the cheap stuff that I've used in the past - it smells lovely and fruity compared to something with little smell at all.
I have just sat down and enjoyed my first slice of a cake made with this, and it tastes so much nicer than the one I made last week with the last of the supermarket peel. It tastes beautifully fruity, and really has improved the taste (all other ingredients were the same, so this is the only thing that has changed)
Not being a mixed peel connoisseur, I have no idea how this compares to other "upmarket" mixed peels, but after only my first cake made with it, I will definitely not be going back to the supermarket brands (even if they got rid of the fructose!). Suma have made a convert of me!

Long Handled Tea Spoons Stainless Steel Per 12
Long Handled Tea Spoons Stainless Steel Per 12
Offered by Indiabazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money and a very practical design, 21 Aug. 2015
Good value spoons, and worth five stars - definitely not "cheap and nasty", but they are not top quality if that's what you're looking for.

I already had some long-handles spoons (sundae spoons), which I loved, but didn't have enough, so I bought these as extra ones. My original ones are definitely better quality in both strength and finish (they should be as they weren't cheap when I bought them), but I nonetheless have found myself preferring to use these.

They are ideal for stirring drinks, eating ice creams and desserts, spooning pickles, jams and mayo from jars without getting messy fingers from sticky spoon handles.

If you want really high quality, these aren't for you, but these are definitely not "cheap and nasty" alternatives. I've been using mine for several weeks now, and none have bent or shown any other negative wear such as stains or scratches. These are good quality, good value, and very practical, and I highly recommend them. I would more than happily buy more of the same if I needed some.

AMOS 6" Desk Table Fan Portable Adjustable Tilting Tilt Electric Air Cooling 2 Speed Home Office Fan
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars If you get the one as shown in the photo, it's good. If you get the alternative, plastic model, then not so good., 21 Aug. 2015
Bought one of these for work (albeit from a different seller and listing) and was really pleased with it - very effective and nice and quiet.
Decided to buy a second one and received a different model - same size actual fan blades, but the safety grill was plastic with 52 straight plastic "ribs" radiating out from the centre, held together by two concentric plastic rings. The whole "cage" was slightly smaller, but the airflow was less, and the base had no little rubber feet (as shown on the picture here). Being disappointed with the second one, I ordered a third from this listing as the photo was the same as the first one I'd received, but lo and behold, I received another one of the plastic-caged ones — very disappointing.

The first one I bought (as shown with a metal diamond-pattern grille on the front, and four rubber feet), I can highly recommend.

The second and third ones (as received from this listing), are OK, but not as effective. I have found that cutting through every other plastic "rib" on the inner circle and removing it has noticeably increased the airflow from the fan (leaving only 26), but it should not be necessary to butcher something brand new to get it to work effectively. (I would definitely not recommend removing any "ribs" in the outer section as the gaps left would then be wide enough to poke fingers through, thus making the fan dangerous). Additionally, the on/off switch at the rear is recessed which makes it much more fiddly to switch on or off, and I've found I have to hold onto the fan with my other hand to turn it. (on the metal "caged" one, the switch protrudes and can easily be turned one-handed)

Both models do the job, but the model identical to the picture is much better. The metal caged one is worth five stars, but the plastic model is only worth three stars due to the fiddly switch and restricted air flow.

WESTFORD MILL COTTON STUFF BAG, 5 SIZES, 1-38 LITRES
WESTFORD MILL COTTON STUFF BAG, 5 SIZES, 1-38 LITRES
Offered by NGWorld

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. XL makes good laundry bag. M is a good shoe bag. Easily labelled if necessary., 28 Jun. 2015
Excellent bags
I bought XL size to use as a laundry bag, M size to hold shoes, and XS size to hold the bits and bobs for a game. Very pleased with them.
They can be used as they are, or you can use a permanent marker to write on them to label their contents (or you could sew on them if you've got patience).
They are simple, functional, and I won't hesitate to buy more as needed.
(Thank you L. Richards for your review with the sizes)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6