Profile for AsparagusTrevor > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
ONKYO Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver and Speaker
ONKYO Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver and Speaker

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in a crystal clear sound-bubble., 8 Feb. 2015
I wanted to upgrade from an old but reliable £200 DVD surround system and wanted the benefits of a dedicated A/V receiver for the myriad tech I have under my TV. After eliminating a few cheaper options I decided to go for a future investment and settled on the Dolby Atmos enabled Onkyo 7705.

Once it has been tweaked to suit the listening environment, the sound is incredible. Going from a cheap DVD system, it is a revelation. I watched a few louder Blu-rays and the sound benefits from lack of distortion at high levels, meaning it remains crystal clear even when the volume is high, and front-speakers containing woofers meaning the bass isn't limited to the one-note rumble of the sub-woofer (LFE). To calibrate the system, there is a mic provided but I found it didn't give the results I wanted so I felt better tweaking the settings by ear myself. The default LFE bass was set too high by default, so I reduced this for my neighbour's sake! This can be altered on the fly with a knob on the back of the sub.

For someone like me who has multiple devices connected to the TV, the dedicated A/V receiver is a huge plus, 7 HDMI-in ports plus several legacy inputs means you won't be running out of connectivity options any time soon. Each input can contain its own settings, including image brightness/contrast, a volume compensation option and multiple EQ presets, so it's possible to set different options for each input depending on the format. The receiver also utilises the Marvel Qdeo chip to upscale content to 4K if you have a compatible screen, or if you have a 1080p display then it will upscale standard-definition video to HD.

The only native Dolby Atmos content I have viewed is a demo disc, which sounds spectacular. I was sceptical, but the upwards-pointing drivers contained in the front-speakers do create a convincing upper layer of sound. There is a Dolby Surround setting which serves to upmix all content to 5.1.2 which doesn't sound as convincing as the native content but is still impressive and gives a robust bubble of sound.

Add to that the on-screen controls, allowing you to change settings without interrupting viewing, granting the ability to change audio-sync, EQ, picture modes etc while seeing/hearing the changes happen live. The menu remains intuitive but powerful without bogging down with too many options and jargon.

Yes if you want to go into the highest end of home cinema you can spend thousands on speakers alone, but for most this system is easily the pinnacle of all-in-one sets at a reasonable price. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2015 8:43 PM BST

Re:Active T5 Black Fat Burners / Maximum Strength Weight Loss Diet Pills - 60 Capsules - Money Back Guarantee
Offered by DesirableBody

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, they really work!, 3 Feb. 2015
Here I am, on my second pot and much lighter that I was two months ago! Along with a small amount of cardio I have consistently been dropping weight due to a number of factors provided by the T5s. As well as the fat burning, these pills give a nice energy boost and they also do well to suppress hunger so I don't feel myself craving snacks between meals. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to shed the lbs.

PAM ST.CLEMENT - Original Art Keyring #js001
PAM ST.CLEMENT - Original Art Keyring #js001
Offered by Seasons Original Art

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch key protection, 18 July 2014
I bought this keyring as a birthday present for my uncle as he has mentioned on numerous occasions he is a big fan of both Pat Butcher art and key consolidation. The picture on the fob is probably one of the best paintings of Pam St Clement I have ever seen, the black and white rendering enhances the harsh lines of her face and broadens the deep black of her eyebrows while the dangling fob itself serves as a visual reminder of her trademark hoop earrings. It almost feels like she is watching over your keys, which is the best protection money can buy.

Full House Shell Case for XBOX 360 Wireless Controller With T8 Torx Security Screwdriver & Screws Color Chrome Pink

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but some issues including signal loss, 31 May 2014
My wife wanted a pink controller and not wanting to settle for a silicone skin or a new pad entirely I decided to give shell replacements a go. After reading lots of other controller mod comments, I was expecting replacing the shell to be a lot harder than it turned out to be, after watching a very informative Youtube video it took just over half an hour and went together perfect first time.

One of the only things that caused any degree of trouble was the sync button, there were bits of plastic that needed filing down before it fit correctly, and the peg which holds it in doesn't keep it secure so, as advised by the Youtube vid, I used a heated paperclip to melt the peg and securely hold the sync button. Removing and replacing the shoulder triggers was also quite fiddly but logical once you understand how they connect.

The supplied buttons don't have any X, Y, B or A symbols on them, so it might be confusing for people unfamiliar with the control layout, but of course you could use the original pad's buttons if you don't mind them being differently coloured.

Once assembled the pad looks really smart, but in use one major issue presents itself. The chrome shell causes problems with the controller's wireless signal, greatly reducing the operation range to about 2-3 feet from the usual 20-30. Anything outside this causes constant disconnections and frustrating cut-offs. Replacing the old, official shell reverts the controller back to its perfectly usable state. I think I might try mixing parts from the old pad, firstly the top strip between the shoulder buttons.

Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Karl Urban

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, great 3D, decent Bluray, amazing price, 9 Jun. 2013
This is how it should be done. 3D Blu Rays are often way overpriced. It doesn't seem like studios are learning that people generally will not pay over £20 for a 3D movie. and multiple releases help nobody.

They were smart with Dredd, surprisingly. A film that didn't do well at the box office but seemed to do well with the critics. A low-budget movie actually filmed in 3D, and with a reputation to wipe clean after the Stallone atrocity. One Blu-Ray release, 2D and 3D on the same disc. The movie ended up number one on multiple best seller charts.

Judge Dredd is a British institution with an ongoing story ripe for film. The Stallone film took everything that was good about the source and discarded it to make a generic futuristic action movie. The makers of 'Dredd' used their low-budget to their advantage and created one small chapter in the book of Judge Dredd which served well as an introduction to a potential movie franchise.

Karl Urban takes to the role with relative enthusiasm, his apparent lack of narcissism means he's happy to keep his face hidden
under the iconic helmet to stay true to the comics. Plus he maintains a stoic sarcasm which elevates his role beyond the typical one-man-army seen in similar films. Adding the human side of the story is trainee Andreson (Olivia Thirlby), Dredd's assigned student who ends up way in over her head. It's hard not to identify with her, she is the audience personified, witnessing the brutal justice delivered by her teacher and then expected to do the same.

The direction continues to elevate this with some very creative choices throughout, and the 3D offers some nice embellishments throughout. A device of the plot, a drug called slo-mo which slows down the user's perception of time, offers some opportunities for some creative shots which really shine in 3D, including one shot of a man having his cheek blown open in very slow-motion.

It would be a shame to lump this with other ten-a-penny action movies, we have some really unique stuff going on and it's a shame the movie didn't do as well as it should have although I hope home-sales made a sequel a possibility as this definitely feels like the first chapter of a larger story, one which any 2000AD reader would tell you has a lot of mileage.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 2 m / 6.5 Feet Supports Ethernet, 3D, Audio Return

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, 9 Jun. 2013
Great product, this cable supports 1.4 HDMI, I've tested and it works with 3D content via PS3 and PC and no problems, decent build quality.

Greedy Spiders
Greedy Spiders

4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive as hell!, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Greedy Spiders (App)
I got this game as a freebie on Amazon's App store, and then spent two hours on it without noticing! It is a clever game, you have to think strategically. The graphics are cute and it has nice presentation. Probably won't hold your attention as much as some games but it is a nice, original concept that deserves a lot of plays.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great VALUE, no compromise, 9 Jun. 2013
First of all, surprisingly Amazon seems to be one of the most expensive places to buy this, it can be had for much cheaper elsewhere. I got mine, a 32GB model, for £179.99.

Anyway, this tablet is just amazing for the price, even the more expensive price. iPads and also other branded Android tablets are selling for much higher and you'd think that the Nexus 7 has made compromises to sell at such a low price. However, amazingly, you'd be wrong!

I was looking for a tablet. I was bored of booting up the PC for simple things such as internet browsing etc. The lazy in me craved an easy way of playing games, surfing the web, reading and so forth, enough to look into getting a tablet. I did a lot of research, read the reviews and one clear product kept popping out above the others... the Google Nexus 7.

I've had Android phones for my last few handsets so I was familiar with the OS, and I've long shunned Apple's grossly-overpriced and low-innovation products so it was decided. I instantly fell in love with the device, it looks classy and feels very sturdy. Holding in the hand is very comfortable, the dimpled rubber back makes the tablet sit very well in the hand and feels secure at all times. Compared to the cold metal of the iPad, this feels much more comfortable in the hand.

There are few hard buttons, just volume control and power, the three main Android buttons (back, home and switch task) occupy a space on the touch-screen and move accordingly with the tablet's orientation. This helps sell the classy, minimalist design.

The hardware of the tablet betrays its low price, this is all high-end stuff. You currently won't find a game in the Google Play shop that can't run at its highest potential. A quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 chip powers the graphics and it is a quite the beast in mobile terms. Multitasking is seamless, switching between apps is smooth and I've never seen any lag when performing a task. Everything is responsive and feels silky smooth. The operating system is the latest version of Android, and it works great while being unintrusive. This isn't your general mobile-phone Android with the manufacturer's custom front-end and preinstalled bloatware, this is pure, unaltered and unbloated Android.

The screen falls short of the Apple "Retina" displays, but most people would not notice. The screen resolution is 1280×800 and any HD content will look brilliant at this size, the average person would be hard pressed to identity a single pixel! The iPad Mini, which is comparable in size, has a much smaller resolution. The screen is sometimes a bit too dull, the contrast and colours could maybe pop out a bit more but it is a small issue.

I have just three small issues with this tablet, the lack of SD card slot (which the iPad/iPhone/iPod have never offered), the mild contrast issue on the screen and lack of 3G by default. Other than that, it scores perfect marks all around. This should be the first choice of anyone who needs a tablet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2013 9:47 PM BST

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 - UK layout
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to a HTPC setup, 9 Jun. 2013
After owning a self-built media centre PC for a few years, I decided the only thing missing was a comfortable way of browsing the web, performing routine maintenance or a general way of expanding the input beyond the Harmony Remote I use for my setup.

I didn't want to spend too much as this would be something that wouldn't be in constant use, and I've been a loyal supporter of Logitech for quite a while now after owning numerous products of theirs over the years to much satisfaction. I happened across this keyboard quite accidentally and thought it sounded too good to be true for the low price. However, after some research and reading reviews it sounded just what I wanted.

The keyboard layout makes some compromises, which is to be expected with the condensed layout a necessity at this size. It is similar to a general laptop keyboard. This means you won't feel comfortable typing an essay or working on spreadsheets but for casual use it is faultless. The addition of a touchpad for mouse use give it an extra layer of usefulness, and it supports some simple gestures to speed things along.

It is a smart looking keyboard too, smooth, black plastic, with a white back and uses the tiny (very tiny) Logitech Unifying dongle so it sits happily along other Unifying products using the one dongle. Really, the dongle is tiny!! Seems to have a good range too, I use the keyboard from the sofa situated about 6ft away, and can also still use it further away with no problems.

Overall, this is a great keyboard for the price, one that lives in a specific group so don't expect to use this as a replacement on your £1000 gaming desktop PC, but will sit great in a HTPC setup, or for other casual uses.

Spiderex Aerosol Spray
Spiderex Aerosol Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly, 6 Mar. 2013
I moved into a new house a year ago, and it seemed to be one which attracted an abnormal amount of our arachnid friends. Now, with a arachnophobe wife and my desire to relocate creepy-crawlies without any harm it was getting to be a bit of a pain trying to safely catch spiders multiple times a day.

I read up on the different repellents, chemical and electric, and noticed this one had some good reviews so I decided to try it out, for a tenner it wasn't going to be too much of a loss if it didn't work.

Well I'm happy to report it works brilliantly. I sprayed it around the windows, doors and the more dark, dank corners of the house. There was a spider in the corner of the door, he took one sniff and started running in the opposite direction! I knew I has a spider family behind my bookcase, I sprayed it nearby and the large mother spider came out to show her displeasure before popping back behind the bookcase never to be seen again (or her babies).

I topped house back up a couple of months later when I noticed a couple of spiders appear within a few days of each other. Since then, I haven't had to use the spray again, no spiders. That was a good 5 months ago.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3