ARRAY(0xa80ebd74)

Dvd ~ Robert Cummings
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 2.95

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the film.., 13 Mar 2014
but no stars for the Alpha Video dvd production. A terrible transfer from the original - often inaudible and hard to either see or understand. But it is a very good and unusual movie and I recommend it if you can find a decent version - which this is not.

Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema
Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema
by J. Hoberman
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent selection of essays..., 20 Feb 2014
..on films of the 21st century. Many originated as reviews at the time of the films' release; others come from a series of university courses taught by the author. There are many popular and well known films covered but also a number that were new to me. I have ended up buying around a dozen DVDs of films I either did not know of or had casually (and probably wrongly) dismissed.

It is entertainingly written without being in any way populist. I intended to flick though it and just note any films I might want to buy but have ended up reading it from cover to cover. It is very US centric as you might expect (written before I had read the last 50 pages which focus largely on non-US films - again some very interesting and thoughtful reviews of films that were new to me) but none the worse for that. It is exceptionally good on the political and cultural context in which the film makers operated over the past 30 years. It is, unsurprisingly, written from a liberal perspective - and very much none the worse for that!

If you are interested in the cinema then I do recommend this book.

Treme: Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Treme: Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Rob Brown
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 19.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Only contains five episodes....., 15 Feb 2014
...which is a disappointment - but what episodes they are and what a moving conclusion to a wonderful series. The last episode in particular was extremely emotional on several levels. I need to time to respond to it and will come back to add to this brief comment - but I just wanted potential buyers to be aware of the limited extent of what they are buying.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 3:07 PM GMT

Brabantia Profile Line Large Spatula - Non Stick
Brabantia Profile Line Large Spatula - Non Stick
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product.., 7 Feb 2014
..which I am very glad to have purchased. Looks very solid and I expect it to last a long time. Does the job - what else to say!

Leifheit Proline Strainer Stainless Steel 20 cm
Leifheit Proline Strainer Stainless Steel 20 cm
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid strainer.., 7 Feb 2014
..which looks like it will last out the rest of my lifetime. Having made a bad purchase with its predecessor which lasted very little time - I am confident that this is sturdy and very good value for money.

Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Heaven
Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Heaven
by Gordon Ramsay
Price: 15.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly I am another 3 star reviewer..., 5 Feb 2014
and disappointed to be so. If just rating the recipes I would have given 5 stars. I thought they were generally excellent and all the ones that I have tried have worked for me - and I found the instructions quite clear.

I have taken off two stars because of the book's design. There are far too many photographs of GR - too many photographs altogether in fact - a more generous allocation of recipes would have been more useful. But also the way the ingredients are listed is infuriating - not in a neat vertical list that you can easily run down and work out what you need but as a narrative paragraph in the recipe. Maddening and counter productive - just to make the book "look" better? Poor judgement on the publisher's part.

But to repeat - the recipes are excellent and workable.

Inside Llewyn Davis [DVD] [2014]
Inside Llewyn Davis [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Oscar Isaac
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I have to be careful how I review this..., 28 Jan 2014
...but I need to do it while it is fresh in my mind. I sat through the film admiring the technique, the direction and the performances but thinking what a loathsome arrogant self-centred boor (with a not too bad voice) the protagonist was. I had read no reviews because I did not want to spoil the impact of the film.

I thought it was superbly made and superbly performed by an exceptional cast. I just found the protagonist wholly self-centred, obsessive, profoundly dislikable and unsympathetic. I ranted on to my wife who suggested I read a couple of reviews. Then I realised how much I had simply missed in what is a very complex and subtle story - although it does not initially seem so on the surface. I now have to return to the cinema and see it again. I find it hard to believe how much I misunderstood or overlooked in this very subtle and moving portrait of a young musician in trauma at an extraordinary moment in the development of music in the US.

I am not going to comment on any of those subtleties here but for those who haven't seen it it may be one of the few films worth doing some research on the story before you see it. But it is definitely worth seeing. Complex and subtle.

Desserts: Nancy Silverton
Desserts: Nancy Silverton
by Silverton Nancy

5.0 out of 5 stars I probably made a mistake buying this..., 23 Jan 2014
..not because it is a bad book - far from it - but because I am not sure my current cooking skills are really up to cooking the recipes Nancy Silverton presents. This is my problem - not hers!

If you are an accomplished cook and interested in desserts then this is a book you really should own. The recipes appear excellent and they are very clearly explained in terms of techniques, ingredients and timing. But they are not simple (I have not been through the entire book so this is a generalization) but I think I need to start with something a little more straightforward.

It is extremely well written and very carefully crafted - if you have the experience then I would have thought it was an invaluable addition to a cook's library.

Just as a PS - this is an American publication so we are in a world of pounds and ounces! Takes me back a bit!

Luscious Lemon Desserts
Luscious Lemon Desserts
by Lori Longbotham
Price: 13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cookbook..., 23 Jan 2014
...for those that like lemons! As I do. I came across it while looking for something else entirely on Amazon and noted that .com has many 5 star reviews and only a couple of grouchy/critical ones. It came within ten days when ordered through .co.uk - excellent condition and a knockdown price.

It is well put together. A useful introduction on techniques, terminology and tools. It is an American book and so this guide is very helpful in interpreting the recipes. I have only cooked three so far (yes, the simpler ones) - but every one worked and was delicious. I am not an accomplished dessert cook and I will need to take a deep breath before I launch on some of the complex techniques - but I am reasonably confident that the author will talk me through it.

The triple lemon cheesecake is stunning (and quite easy) but my wife has ordered me not to make it again for at least a month on pain of death (still, it did encourage her to go to the gym - otherwise it would have been two months!) The Lemon Upside-down Cake is also excellent - as was the Lemon shortbread. The frozen desserts also look very good and I will try those in the summer.

Highly recommended if you like the taste of lemon - and not too challenging.

Something For The Weekend - 60 Fabulous Recipes for a Lazy Brunch
Something For The Weekend - 60 Fabulous Recipes for a Lazy Brunch
by Simon Rimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Well this is OK.., 22 Jan 2014
..there are some interesting recipes that you want to prepare. But nothing very surprising - nothing that makes you bookmark the page and say - "I'll do that tomorrow"

Maybe a bit short on content too - 60 recipes - would I have liked a few more for the money.

But I guess I am not a brunch sort of guy. So I shouldn't be reviewing this.

So - feel free to ignore me. My wife does.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19