Profile for Wil Andersen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
The Ealing Studios Rarities Collection - Volume 5 [DVD]
The Ealing Studios Rarities Collection - Volume 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Finch

5.0 out of 5 stars moving it was and extremely good - but much much tougher and harder edged than ..., 30 Sept. 2014
The stars are for The Shiralee. I have known about the film for many years but never seen it. Bought this collection and watched it for the first time in my 70s. Had expected something quite sentimental and moving - well, moving it was and extremely good - but much much tougher and harder edged than I had expected.

Great performance by Peter Finch in a role that could be quite unsympathetic. Some of the last half was a little crude compared with the first but still a wonderful film and I will watch it again.

Plenty More
Plenty More
by Yotam Ottolenghi

4.0 out of 5 stars If only there were a few more...., 17 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Plenty More (Hardcover)
....recipes and a lot fewer photographs - beautiful and helpful as they are (this is sole reason for loss of a star - otherwise would unquestionably be a five star review). I just checked out a couple of sections and one had a ratio of 5 recipes in 14 pages and the other 14 recipes in 25 pages. The rest being title pages and photographs and other design features. Nice piece of book production from Ebury Press.

Having said that this is a book that I have not yet used although I will be trying it out over the next few weeks. Fortunately there are some simple recipes there which do not require extensive shopping expeditions up the Cowley Road in Oxford (or shopping on Amazon for unusual ingredients which is my other last resort) . I also very much like the concept of grouping the recipes by cooking technique - very helpful.

As you would expect from this author the recipes look wonderful and have some considerable variety. I am looking forward to using it after the shopping is done and . will come back and update the review

OK - had a bit more time to experiment with some of the recipes. There are some good salads detailed - Apple and Celeriac was a big success as was the Orange and Date. Had never made these before and they worked well. There are two Sprout Salads - I tried one and didn't really take to it so avoided the second. The Dakos were excellent with an interesting substitute for the usual Greek base. I am a little daunted by the Seaweed, Ginger and Carrot Salad - M&S does not seem to sell seaweed! So - off to Cowley Road again.

Crushed Carrots with Harissa and Pistachios scheduled for tomorrow.

What I like is that many of his combinations are ones I would never have thought of for myself - and so far (very short time I know) will become favourites for frequent use. More later when I have eaten the Ricotta and Rosemary Bread Pudding! Edited to add: it was excellent!

Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema
Film After Film: Or, What Became of 21st Century Cinema
by J. Hoberman

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent selection of essays..., 20 Feb. 2014
..on films of the 21st century. Many originated as reviews at the time of the films' release; others come from a series of university courses taught by the author. There are many popular and well known films covered but also a number that were new to me. I have ended up buying around a dozen DVDs of films I either did not know of or had casually (and probably wrongly) dismissed.

It is entertainingly written without being in any way populist. I intended to flick though it and just note any films I might want to buy but have ended up reading it from cover to cover. It is very US centric as you might expect (written before I had read the last 50 pages which focus largely on non-US films - again some very interesting and thoughtful reviews of films that were new to me) but none the worse for that. It is exceptionally good on the political and cultural context in which the film makers operated over the past 30 years. It is, unsurprisingly, written from a liberal perspective - and very much none the worse for that!

If you are interested in the cinema then I do recommend this book.

Treme: Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Treme: Complete Fourth Season [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Rob Brown
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars Only contains five episodes....., 15 Feb. 2014
...which is a disappointment - but what episodes they are and what a moving conclusion to a wonderful series. The last episode in particular was extremely emotional on several levels. I need to time to respond to it and will come back to add to this brief comment - but I just wanted potential buyers to be aware of the limited extent of what they are buying.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 3:07 PM GMT

Desserts: Nancy Silverton
Desserts: Nancy Silverton
by Silverton Nancy

5.0 out of 5 stars I probably made a mistake buying this..., 23 Jan. 2014
..not because it is a bad book - far from it - but because I am not sure my current cooking skills are really up to cooking the recipes Nancy Silverton presents. This is my problem - not hers!

If you are an accomplished cook and interested in desserts then this is a book you really should own. The recipes appear excellent and they are very clearly explained in terms of techniques, ingredients and timing. But they are not simple (I have not been through the entire book so this is a generalization) but I think I need to start with something a little more straightforward.

It is extremely well written and very carefully crafted - if you have the experience then I would have thought it was an invaluable addition to a cook's library.

Just as a PS - this is an American publication so we are in a world of pounds and ounces! Takes me back a bit!

Luscious Lemon Desserts
Luscious Lemon Desserts
by Lori Longbotham

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent cookbook..., 23 Jan. 2014
...for those that like lemons! As I do. I came across it while looking for something else entirely on Amazon and noted that .com has many 5 star reviews and only a couple of grouchy/critical ones. It came within ten days when ordered through .co.uk - excellent condition and a knockdown price.

It is well put together. A useful introduction on techniques, terminology and tools. It is an American book and so this guide is very helpful in interpreting the recipes. I have only cooked three so far (yes, the simpler ones) - but every one worked and was delicious. I am not an accomplished dessert cook and I will need to take a deep breath before I launch on some of the complex techniques - but I am reasonably confident that the author will talk me through it.

The triple lemon cheesecake is stunning (and quite easy) but my wife has ordered me not to make it again for at least a month on pain of death (still, it did encourage her to go to the gym - otherwise it would have been two months!) The Lemon Upside-down Cake is also excellent - as was the Lemon shortbread. The frozen desserts also look very good and I will try those in the summer.

Highly recommended if you like the taste of lemon - and not too challenging.

High Tide
High Tide
Dvd ~ Judy Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange, strange film..., 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: High Tide (DVD)
..and I wasn't sure what I was watching. The description of the film was not of much interest but my wife bought it and we do like Australian films in general and Judy Davis in particular.

But a stunning performance from Judy held us silent for the length of the film. Excellent acting from her and from the support cast. Yes, the story is a bit of a soap opera and not particularly well thought through but the acting from the leads is extraordinary - this has to be one of Davis's best performances. Buy it for that alone.

And a glorious setting! I am in the UK but I think this was filmed in South Australia - just lovely scenery - makes me wish I could afford the airfare..

The Silence of the Lambs (BFI Modern Classics)
The Silence of the Lambs (BFI Modern Classics)
by Yvonne Tasker

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to.., 22 Jan. 2014
..an excellent film. I saw the film when it first came out and was wholly taken with it. Superbly directed by Jonathan Demme and the actors outstanding - Hopkins of course - but Jodi Foster a revelation.

So why read an analysis/commentary on it? - just because I found the film so fascinating that I wanted to know more.

This is well written, precise and analytical but does also take you into areas you have not thought of. If the film intrigued you then I do recommend this book - it will add another layer to your understanding.

It did for me anyway.

"Get Carter" (British Film Guides)
"Get Carter" (British Film Guides)
by Steve Chibnall

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent analysis of.., 22 Jan. 2014
..absolutely one of the best crime films ever made in the UK. I saw it when it first was released and thought it was stunning - the fact that I was then living in the North East (and I am a southerner through and through but fell in love with the people and the landscape there) added to the impact.

So - an amazing film but this is also a very detailed, thoughtful and shrewd analysis of what I watched. Deals with the locale, the tensions within the production crew, the actors and the financiers - but above all concentrates on the film itself. I learned a great deal (didn't affect my view of the film but was fascinating to read) and ended up admiring it all the more.

Highly recommended for film fans, Michael Caine admirers and locals - and those who just like a really well made film.

Great British Puddings
Great British Puddings
by The Pudding Club

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars is unfair rating..., 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Great British Puddings (Hardcover)
..if all you are looking at just the recipes you want to cook. There are many - well presented and clearly described. My particular favourites were the "forgotten puddings" which included a number my mother used to make in the fifties when - as a child - I devoured every pudding she served up. Rhubarb hat, college pudding, duchess's pudding - I think we had some different family names for them but they are the same recipes and brought back many happy memories - and renewed enjoyment of the tastes. (Well - not too many or my doctor will be after me - boy, did they like sugar in those days)

Both the summer and winter puddings offer a wide choice and - again - many family favourites from the past.

Why knock off a star? - well, not because of the content but more because of the look of the book. A designer got hold of it, I guess, and didn't do a good job - the design gets in the way of the recipes - sort of handwritten titles? We don't need that.

Pity because it is a very useful book which I will cook from often.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18