Profile for Ac > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Amby Natures Nest Hammock
Amby Natures Nest Hammock

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 kids all loved it!, 13 Jan 2014
My 3rd baby is currently sleeping in the hammock and seems to be as happy as my older two children were in it. I haven't a bad word to say about it and don't really understand the poor reviews on here. It's gorgeous to look at, there's not a hint of a flat head on any of our kids (unlike so many babies these days) and I love watching my daughter kick her legs and bounce herself up and down in it to entertain herself when she wakes.

Bigjigs Toys BJ306 Europe Inset Puzzle
Bigjigs Toys BJ306 Europe Inset Puzzle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wooden jigsaw, 15 Aug 2013
Each country is a separate piece which works well. Kids like doing it, I'm happy because they are learning something at the same time and as it's wooden so it'll last well. All round very pleased with it!

Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls
Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls
by Steve Biddulph

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly interesting but little substance, 11 Feb 2013
It's certainly easy to read, I whipped through it in no time. Much of what is written is common sense and of no real surprise. There are some good stories and anecdotes as well as some shocking statistics about the prevalence of cutting, dieting, early sexual experiences etc. If it's designed to make you worry about your girls then it'll probably do it's job but I would have liked more thinking about how to prepare girls for the modern world and how to shore them up against peer pressure and early sexualisation etc. The main advice seems to be - have a good relationship with your daughters, talk with them and show them the way by being accepting of your own body and not talking about diets. Surely most sensible parents are already doing all this? As a previous reviewer mentioned it is also quite biased towards two parent families and talks about the importance of fathers in girls lives and mothers who are at home when girls get back from school. All well and good for those who can but yet more guilt to manage for those of us who can't.
In my opinion, a much better book with far more thinking about how to make a practical difference in preparing young girls for the tween / teenage years ahead is Tanith Carey's 'Where has my little girl gone'. Terrible title but a good book!

Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting: The Revolutionary Programme That Transforms Family Life
by NoŽl Janis-Norton

3.0 out of 5 stars Best for young children, 19 Oct 2012
This a practical and useful book and I enjoyed reading most of it. The techniques are useful for all ages but it's a bit basic as a stand alone tool for older kids. Of course they respond to praise and being listened to (who doesn't!) and parents do need to have authority but I don't know any older child who would just happily accept "the new rule is..." from their parent on a regular basis!!
It's all about how to channel your child into doing things your way which is ok when they're younger but given the author talks about it working for all ages I would have liked a bit more thought about parenting older children and the challenges they bring.
If you have a younger child it's well worth reading so that you can put some very good basic principles in place to head off the likelihood of later difficulties but if you're struggling with parenting an older child then you probably won't find it covers all that you need.

1000 Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activity Books)
1000 Things to Make and Do (Usborne Activity Books)
by Fiona Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for drawing and painting, 16 Feb 2012
My children and I love this book. It has kept them busy for hours drawing and painting. The vast majority of things in it are 2D drawings etc with only a few 3D ideas for making models. that hasn't seemed to bother my kids and actually makes it easier for them to get on and try out things on their own without needing my help all the time. They've produced some great pieces of art that they've been extremely proud of. I'd definitely recommend it but buy a different book if you want ideas for junk modelling.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2012 11:13 PM GMT

Baby's First Year Memories for Life: A keepsake journal of milestone moments (Baby Record Book)
by Annabel Karmel

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavily branded, 12 July 2011
Obviously I knew it was an Annabel Karmel brand before I bought the book but I was totally unprepared for the signed quotes from Annabel on every page! It's not my thing at all, really in your face and totally unsubtle which is rather a shame as the content otherwise isn't too bad. It doesn't have as much in it as the Winnie the pooh baby book or the guess how much I love you baby book both of which give some space for beyond the first year and have pages for all the major events. This book has a section for one major event (christening or first christmas but not both).
I don't want to remember my baby via Annabel Karmel but would feel too embarassed to give it to a friend so it's going to a charity shop...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2013 6:08 PM GMT

LEGO DUPLO Trains 3775 Points
LEGO DUPLO Trains 3775 Points

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes track far more interesting, 13 Mar 2011
Highly recommended! Our children (5 and 3) love making train tracks with me and the points make far more interesting layouts possible. They spend ages pushing trains back and forth round the track and having some points means that I'm not stuck making the circuit over and over again. Older children who have visited love making track circuits for themselves and have quickly got the hang of using points. So, good for all ages.

LEGO DUPLO Trains 3774: Bridge
LEGO DUPLO Trains 3774: Bridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Much loved by my 3 year old!, 11 Feb 2011
WE have quite a lot of track and this bridge adds a bit of variety and is always the first thing my toddler wants me to do when we build a circuit. It's his main focus when playing with his trains and loves zooming them up and down it. It really doesn't take long at all to put up and although it's still too complicated for him as yet I can easily do it in a minute or two. Great fun and keeps him amused for ages.

Baking Made Easy
Baking Made Easy
by Lorraine Pascale

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are the pictures?!, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: Baking Made Easy (Hardcover)
There are some fantastic recipes in this book without a doubt but you need to have seen the tv programmes to get your appetite wetted as there is a distinct lack of pictures of the finished dishes in the book. Reading recipes is fine but when looking for some inspiration there is nothing better than seeing photos of the end product to make you want to get cracking in the kitchen. There are however many photos of Lorraine which seem a bit egocentric and rather bizarre. I know Jamie favours lots of photos of himself in his books too but I've never really seen the point, I know who he is! If you can muster enough enthusiasm to make the recipes in this book then in my experience they will turn out well and taste great. However, if you're reading this Lorraine then please don't listen to your publishers and put less photos of yourself and more of your food in your next book!

The Little Red Train: The Runaway Train (Mini Treasure)
The Little Red Train: The Runaway Train (Mini Treasure)
by Benedict Blathwayt

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite!, 3 Feb 2009
This lovely little book is a firm favourite with my 2 year old daughter. The story has enough repetition to help her learn but not too much to stop her being interested in what happens and how the driver eventually catches up with his runaway train. The size is perfect for carrying out and about in my handbag too, great for keeping her at the table while waiting for food in a restaurant.

Page: 1 | 2