Profile for Scribbles66 > Reviews

Content by Scribbles66

Scribbles66 "pclangdon"

Page: 1 | 2
Vulkan Lives (The Horus Heresy)
Vulkan Lives (The Horus Heresy)
by Nick Kyme

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes its okay, 1 Jun. 2014
Yes its okay but, as with recent books in the series, it doesn't move the heresy along. I felt that it was more a case of "here's a legion we haven't used before so let's give them a book" rather than " let's move the story on a bit". In a way its just a money making exercise as the story gets extended more and more by average books.
The early books were much more enjoyable and better paced but now its all a bit bogged down.
That said, Kyme is a decent writer and he moves the story along at a decent pace. Not great not awful just average overall.

Hydra
Hydra
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I get the criticism ?, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Hydra (Audio CD)
To begin with I have no issues about the production on the album as it sounds fine to me. It may be a little "baseless" and a little clean to some peoples ears but its certainly not a disaster as some appear to think it is.

Putting Rap on a Metal album is, I must admit, not a great idea. That said though its a single track, a good song and the rap element isn't overly intrusive save for the pathetic stereotypical swearword (motherf***er) thrown in for good measure. Why artists of any description find the need to swear is quite beyond me especially as we have such a rich and varied language but there we are.

The rest of the album contains some catchy tunes with all the melodic hooks we have come to expect of WT. Sharon sounds in fine voice and the guest artistes suit their individual contributions well.

The Wolverine [Blu-ray] [2013]
The Wolverine [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by A2Z Entertains

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 1 Mar. 2014
Its okay.

Always liked Hugh Jackman and found him the perfect fit for Wolverine but I find this sort of "bloodless" violence type film not one thing or another.

I know they want it to be for Kids as they want it to be seen by as many people as possible and I am not posting this as an advocate for increased violence in films but if you have a film in which many people get killed/injured you cant always make that child friendly and bloodless as it becomes unrealistic and very samey. I think Wolverine is a gritty character but that grittiness is diluted by the need for the right rating and box office success.

So far as the story goes its okay - hence the rating

Around India in 80 Trains
Around India in 80 Trains
by Monisha Rajesh

3.0 out of 5 stars Found it slightly dull to be honest, 1 Mar. 2014
I am not sure I agree with Mr Dalrymple that this is wonderfully wry and witty.

Half way through I just found myself getting a bit bored as it seemed I was always waiting for the wry and witty to raise its head.

Its not a bad book and, as I am off to India in a few months, I thought I would catch up on reading some books, both fiction and non-fiction, about the land I will be travelling through. It just didn't grab me I suppose, it didn't make me want to drop everything, hop on a plane and then ride Indias rail network.

I am sure others love it and I am fully prepared to admit that perhaps I expected more or simply wasn't in the right mood when reading it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2014 4:46 AM BST

Sony PS Vita (Wi-Fi only) (PlayStation Vita)
Sony PS Vita (Wi-Fi only) (PlayStation Vita)

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are the games ?, 27 Nov. 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I think the Vita is a lovely bit of kit and I haven't had any technical issues with it but in the many months I have owned it the console has spent 95% of the time in the cupboard beacuse there are so few decent games to play on it.
I had a PSP which suffered the same fate and being a bit clumsy and un-coordinated I have found it quite a tricky bit of kit to play well on.
Would love to try some exciting RPGs biut there aren't any.

Bit of a shame really.

Brother L14 Sewing Machine
Brother L14 Sewing Machine
Offered by Sewit4you

5.0 out of 5 stars Partners Birthday Present, 17 Nov. 2013
She loves it and that's the main thing. Its enabled her to make curtains and nets to her hearts content and its both quiet and efficient. Service was lightning fast as well.

From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

2.0 out of 5 stars My Mother says, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
A huge Studio Ghibli fan this, according to her, was just very disappointing and far removed from the classics. As much as she admired the animation she didn't like the characters or think much of the story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2014 12:00 PM BST

Fortress
Fortress

4.0 out of 5 stars Requires repeat listens, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
Didnt like it after my first listen but now its really impressing me. Still not a fan of the time changes and the, at times, over grungy rock sound, but Myles Kennedy has a fabulous voice and Mark Tremontis guitar playing has come on leaps and bounds. Very tight rhythm section as well.
Loved the hint of Muse in "Calm the Fire" as well.
So a very good album, one that continues to grow on me, in a few months time this might even be a 5 star review.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
Very dense sound and rather cluttered to these ears. Memorable songs thin on the ground. Yes its Dream Theater but without Portnoys influence I just get the impression they are losing their way slightly.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Extended Edition [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Minor niggles can't detract from a magnificent experience, 15 Nov. 2013
Slight spoiler Alert*

The Box Set consists of 5 Blu-Ray Discs. One and two contain the extended film in 3D, the third contains the extended 2D version of the film and discs four and five, the Appendices parts 7 and 8, extending as they do from the appendices attached to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
So what of the extended version ?.
In truth it falls a little short of what I would term extended, especially when faced with the generously extended LOTR films which added scenes that explained and expanded upon scenes already in those films and made them, in my humble opinion, far superior to their theatrical cuts.
Here, a measly 13 minutes consists of scenes that add little and are, in one or two instances, gratuitous. The two "Singing" scenes, particularly that involving the Goblin King are neither here nor there but the scenes in Hobbiton and Rivendell, whilst adding little to the overall story do not seem out of place. In this case its a toss up as to which version (theatrical or extended) I prefer but I opt for the extended on the basis that the longer the better when it comes to Peter Jacksons fabulous world.

Of course the box set is more than just the film itself and the appendices, running for almost 9 hours, are to be treasured and enjoyed. The whole "making of" is fascinating with everything covered from make up, set design, sound, cinematography and the actors themselves.Its what adds to the whole 5 star experience.

So, leaving the value of the extended version aside, what minor niggles do I have ?.

Two actually, one very minor and one that annoys me.

The first is the first appearance of Gandalf at Hobbiton. Is it just me or does he look much much older than he appears in the rest of the film and the subsequent trilogy ?. His eyes have big dark rings around them and it looks like they went overboard with his make up before scaling it back. I find it very distracting.

The second is the scene with Gollum and Bilbo in the Goblin Tunnels. I am sorry to say this about Andy Serkis whom I think is an incredible actor but I cannot hear a word of what Gollum says. I know its Gollums voice but its too shrill and raspy to get any sense of the riddles he poses apart from the odd word here and there. Its very frustrating and, having watched the scene at least four times now, I still cant get what he is saying. Perhaps its my ears letting me down.

As I say they are minor niggles.

Overall the experience is fantastic. Aided and abetted by New Zealands exceptionally photogenic landscape Peter Jackson and his incredibly talented crew have come up with another gem. No its not LOTR, its a different experience and, to a certain extent comparisons are unfair but if you haven't read the book (or perhaps even if you have) just sit back and enjoy the thrill ride that is the unexpected journey.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 10:50 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2