Profile for A. Morris > Reviews

Content by A. Morris

A. Morris (Winchester, United Kingdom)

Everyone Worth Knowing
Everyone Worth Knowing
by Lauren Weisberger

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Fun, 10 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Everyone Worth Knowing (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think part of the appeal for me was that it's set in Manhattan, which I find to be a fascinating city. I could relate to the superficial club scene, as I live in London and I laughed out loud at quite a few of the self-obsessed characters that you often find in PR and Media here in London.

I found the central character of Bette to be the least interesting part of the book. Her surrounding characters were more interesting and fun. I felt the ending was dragged out for far too long and her love interest was a bit sickly (especiall the ending).

Not as good as The Devil Wears Prada, but a nice, light, entertaining and fun book.

Human Traces
Human Traces
by Sebastian Faulks

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed!, 10 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Human Traces (Paperback)
Having read previous novels by Sebastian Faulks, I was really looking forward to delving into this one.

I was gripped by the first third of the book and the complex themes that Faulks was exploring. Suddenly I was faced with pages and pages of dull medical lectures which I didn't understand, very hammmy dialogue, and characters who quite frankly really annoyed me!

I'm sorry to say I skim-read the last third of the book because I kept getting bored. I never usually put down a book and I was determined to try and finish it, to see if the end would improve.

The last section, in which we reached the First World War was very interesting and beautifully written, but it felt very rushed and suddenly the story was concluded. I was left feeling frustrated and very diappointed.

I am very interested in Mental Illness in the 19th Century, but I felt that Faulks didn't make his characters' research and theories very accesible to his reader.

Humped Me, Dumped Me: Why You Were F***** and Chucked and How To Bounce Back (Humour)
by Yasmin Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT, 30 Nov. 2005
I loved this book and I'm really sorry it didn't come out earlier as I have so many friends who could have done with it a few years ago! It's honest, witty and above all, optimistic. It will put a massive smile on your face, and get you through any break-up. I have brought a few copies for some friends who are going through similar situations. It leaves you feeling ready to face the world again! Brilliant.