Profile for benjake > Reviews

Content by benjake

benjake

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Grehom Recycled Glass Tumblers (Set of 6) - Squat; Mouth Blown Recycled Glassware; Made in Spain; Beautiful Gift
Offered by Grehom

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 23 May 2016
Just what I wanted. Goods arrived quickly and good packaging. Product as expected:good glass and medium /heavy weight.

KitchenAid KSB5/KSB52 Blender Collar Base Empire Red
KitchenAid KSB5/KSB52 Blender Collar Base Empire Red
Offered by KAParts

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 23 May 2016
Arrived quickly,well packaged.Part perfect.

Everyone Brave Is Forgiven
Everyone Brave Is Forgiven
by Chris Cleave

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 16 May 2016
How wonderful to read a book about London in WW2 that is neither mawkish nor melodramatic.Read this and you will understand the fortitude and practicality of our parents/grandparents who lived through these years.Cleave is a brave author who is not afraid to make his characters expendable and understandable in the face of such adversity. I was left wondering if the pampered youth of today could cope in such circumstances.....

She Died Young
She Died Young
by Elizabeth Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much research!, 30 April 2016
This review is from: She Died Young (Paperback)
The author is a researcher; that much is obvious from the constant references to leading figures of the era. I found it tedious. The plot line did not hook me and I gave up half way through. The attempted parallels between refugees from the Hungarian Uprising of 1956 and Syria today were just too obvious.Too many characters in too many settings and I didn't care about any of them.

The Poison Artist
The Poison Artist
by Jonathan Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping but..., 11 April 2016
This review is from: The Poison Artist (Paperback)
I found the storyline gripping and I was hooked from the beginning.The moody nights of San Francisco provided a great backdrop for the mysteries surrounding toxicologist Caleb and ethereal Emmeline but gruesome descriptions near the end lost it for me and ultimately I felt disappointed by its conclusion.Pity.

Exposure
Exposure
by Helen Dunmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story telling, 5 April 2016
This review is from: Exposure (Hardcover)
Dunmore brilliantly evokes the paranoia and deprivations of Cold War 1960s. She produces a terrific story combining tension,sorrow and despair in a tale that wraps itself around you like the London fog. I found myself drawing in breath as Simon sleep walks to certain doom,but I didn't want to shake him out of it because the author made me understand him with such subtlety.

The Axeman's Jazz
The Axeman's Jazz
by Ray Celestin

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing and entertaining, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Axeman's Jazz (Paperback)
Set in a wonderfully atmospheric New Orleans this is a wonderful debut novel. Very clever intertwining of characters and plot lines using true serial killings of 1919 as a springboard into the swampy corrupt pond of politics,mafia and racism. Looking forward to the next one!

The Kindness
The Kindness
by Polly Samson

2.0 out of 5 stars Life is too short to bother with this, 15 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Kindness (Paperback)
Ok ,I've got it :the time, the place, the purpose.Oh,no, we have moved backwards again or is it forwards? Who cares? Let's put in a bit more flowery prose to show I understand the countryside. OK now we are back on track,no lost in a timewarp again. I don't think I care anymore about Julia or Julian whoever they are. Time to give up after 130 pages. Life really is too short.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2016 4:37 PM BST

The Good Liar
The Good Liar
by Nicholas Searle

5.0 out of 5 stars Far superior to Gone Girl !, 6 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Good Liar (Hardcover)
Yes,there are bad people in this world as one of the characters observes.Searle does an excellent job in fleshing one out in this thought provoking thriller.It is largely well written although the opening 50 pages are rather verbose.The storyline is interesting and thought provoking and the twist too clever to work out until the end. A great start to a new writing career.

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
by JoŽl Dicker

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great holiday book!, 8 Feb. 2016
Thoroughly enjoyable and gripping thriller mixing who dunnit with life in small town New England this book kept me gripped on the beach.At over 600 pages and changing time lines and genre I would not recommend as "put down and read days later"- you would literally lose the plot.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4